Did Russell Simmons sellout Hip Hop? Curtis Sc00n goes in on twitter. updated

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
Most people who have been listening to Hip Hop in the 80s know the basic history of Def Jam. Russ was deep in the Hip Hop scene, much more than Rick. He was managing the biggest star in Hip Hop...Kurtis Blow. His younger brother Run was Kurtis Blow's DJ. Russ and Rick both needed each other. One with the business/go getter acumen(Russ) and the one with artistic vision(Rick).

Yup, and that is where people confuse Rush Management(Russ) with Def Jam(Rick). Like you say Ra, Russ and Rick needed each other.

Great post Ra..

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Yup, and that is where people confuse Rush Management(Russ) with Def Jam(Rick). Like you say Ra, Russ and Rick needed each other.

Great post Ra..

Man Def Jam had it locked with Rush Management. They damn near managed 60% of the Hip Hop Elite in the 80s/Early 90s. From Eric B & Rakim to Dj Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince to KMD!!

Def Jam is still the BEST Hip Hop label Hip Hop has ever seen good or bad!!

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Exactly.

And I may have come off wrong with the "willingly" line but my point is Russell ultimately losing what power/status he had in the industry was more by design than just "he sold his stake because there's no money in music anyway"

There's not a single black man in the industry sitting at that big table...and he was probably the only chance for it to happen

We(Black folks) are the 1st to sell the last to profit!!

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
:childplease:

I'm so tired of this never ending attempt to portray non-blacks as foreign raiders and hijackers of no worth. Whether it's Eminem or Lyor, shyt is stupid. Lyor worked his way up like the other top dudes at Def Jam. Unlike Russell, he stayed in the music business. Yall acting like Rus got played or some shyt - last I checked he's rich as fukk, married/divorced a fine ass chick, and now walks around in slippers all day cuz he don't have to do shyt but yoga.

Blacks and Jews built hip hop, everyone knows that. Blacks had the music, many of the Jews had the start up money. Both sides ate good - well, on the executive side. The artists got fukked over by both blacks and Jews. We gonna pretend like Russell wasn't money grubbing and playing dudes? Come on, fukkouttahere with the sucker shyt.

I respect Lyor. I respect Rick. They're pioneers and worked hard. nikkas need to stop complaining about whites and Jews and go get some paper, god damn.

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
Man Def Jam had it locked with Rush Management. They damn near managed 60% of the Hip Hop Elite in the 80s/Early 90s. From Eric B & Raim to Dj Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince to KMD!!

Def Jam is still the BEST Hip Hop label Hip Hop has ever seen good or bad!!

It's mind boggling when you think about it. Money and success changes everything. Which then leads us to debating who sold out who.. :snoop:

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

I'm so tired of this never ending attempt to portray non-blacks as foreign raiders and hijackers of no worth. Whether it's Eminem or Lyor, shyt is stupid. Lyor worked his way up like the other top dudes at Def Jam. Unlike Russell, he stayed in the music business. Yall acting like Rus got played or some shyt - last I checked he's rich as fukk, married/divorced a fine ass chick, and now walks around in slippers all day cuz he don't have to do shyt but yoga.

Blacks and Jews built hip hop, everyone knows that. Blacks had the music, many of the Jews had the start up money. Both sides ate good - well, on the executive side. The artists got fukked over by both blacks and Jews. We gonna pretend like Russell wasn't money grubbing and playing dudes? Come on, fukkouttahere with the sucker shyt.

I respect Lyor. I respect Rick. They're pioneers and worked hard. nikkas need to stop complaining about whites and Jews and go get some paper, god damn.

"Jews Run it/Niccas Run around in it" - Ras Kass

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
It's mind boggling when you think about it. Money and success changes everything. Which then leads us to debating who sold out who.. :snoop:

If U wanna make a lot of money U have to sell something right...pieces of your soul get used as a bargaining chip every time!!

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

:duck:Fake Jews didn't built sh!t...they exploited it. Poor Black and Spanish kids built this Hip Hop Culture we know and love!!

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Are you serious right now? You're telling me that if they had a child and he named it *insert black name* that everything is fine? How doesn't this make her a sell out to her family and culture then? How dare a Korean woman has a child with a 'black name'. In your scenario no one wins unless the child is named something that has nothing to do with either culture. Oh wait that is 'selling out' too.

Sellin out her korean culture:wtb: u know other races don't have the same standards of sellin out as us...she probaly is already considered a disgrace to most koreans for marryin a black man...ur kis names reflect that of a culture who let's be honest probaly looks at those kids as animals...cmon Russ

@cole cash zack is just an example of a stereotypical white name,u can replace it with Becky, Logan or any other white name,I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism
The kids don't have black names rubs me the wrong way,straigh asian from what I remember...might not mean much but its exhibit C of russell sellin out his culture imo:manny: maybe its just me but ill be damned if I married a white chick and she tried to name my son Zachary.

Ehh are you serious, I mean your typing in English. :pachaha:

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
Sellin out her korean culture:wtb: u know other races don't have the same standards of sellin out as us...she probaly is already considered a disgrace to most koreans for marryin a black man...ur kis names reflect that of a culture who let's be honest probaly looks at those kids as animals...cmon Russ

@cole cash zack is just an example of a stereotypical white name,u can replace it with Becky, Logan or you any other white name,I wouldn't be comfortable with that.
:comeon:

You say this like people actually give their kids African names on a daily basis. A lot of people in this country either don't know, don't care, or have no intention of keeping up with a tradition and culture they are so far removed from. If you are an African American in the United States and your ancestors were slaves at one point they more than likely sacrificed their past and their names and took the names of their slave masters. Most families still have those slave names to this day. I don't see someone running around calling for everyone to drop their names and if they don't they are a sell out. No one in my family has a name attached to anything cultural significant(unless you count Michael I guess). No one cares. If this kid grows up and doesn't like the name and wants to be on some Afro-centric **** then he can do that.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
:comeon:

You say this like people actually give their kids African names on a daily basis. A lot of people in this country either don't know, don't care, or have no intention of keeping up with a tradition and culture they are so far removed from. If you are an African American in the United States and your ancestors were slaves at one point they more than likely sacrificed their past and their names and took the names of their slave masters. Most families still have those slave names to this day. I don't see someone running around calling for everyone to drop their names and if they don't they are a sell out. No one in my family has a name attached to anything cultural significant(unless you count Michael I guess). No one cares. If this kid grows up and doesn't like the name and wants to be on some Afro-centric **** then he can do that.

A sacrifice is an offering for a higher purpose e.g. God. Black people didn't sacrifice their names. It was forcibly removed and thrown away and beat out of them.

You must be cac.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
BTW Sc00n is pretty much on the money. He didn't say Lyor is an idiot and that he didn't deliver some great results. He said had Lyor Cohen been Jermaine Jahlil Washington, Russ would not have given him that opportunity. There's a lack of respect in the back community between each other and it is permeated through every facet of life including business.