Did Russell Simmons sellout Hip Hop? Curtis Sc00n goes in on twitter. updated

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
who run the world.........jews

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0b_4bBW0I"]Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert Sing Hanukkah Songs - YouTube[/ame]

SWAG!!!

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
Russ sold out the Def Jam brand and Hip Hop to Lyor while he went off and kissed up to the enemy. Lyor guided Russ into becoming a gatekeeper...Russ has been paid handsomely for his soul.

What about Rick Rubin tho..

..Did he sell out Def Jam to Russ then?

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
No it is not. Lyor pushed out Rick Rubin in 88 with the help of Russ. Lyor made Russ a shyt load of money. shyt Def Jam almost folded in 92. If it was not for Polygram and Warren G there is no def Jam as we know it today.

And Lyor was in the middle of those deals. Along with the signing of Foxy(yes her plat plaque was a big deal for def Jam),Meth, the Roc, DMX(who Lyor went to the ruff ryder studios in yonkers to see DMX with Irv, not Russ).

Hate Lyor all you want, but there is no 90's def Jam without Lyor.

Def Jam and Rush Management's history is fukked up. read up on it.

i enjoy reading curtis sc00n and i enjoy his opinion, however what you are saying here is true, especially since rubin ended up forming american recordings not long after he was forced out. i think goin back to cali was his last big hit on the label

Cole Cash

Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
What about Rick Rubin tho..

..Did he sell out Def Jam to Russ then?

majority of people dont even know rick rubin was the one who formed def jam and came up with the name. people dont understand how much credit rubin doesnt get for what he did for hip hop because of his work with slayer, u2 etc

Cole Cash

Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
The kids don't have black names rubs me the wrong way,straigh asian from what I remember...might not mean much but its exhibit C of russell sellin out his culture imo:manny: maybe its just me but ill be damned if I married a white chick and she tried to name my son Zachary.

not soft you my nikka and that picture of young earl brings back memories, but why would you be upset if your son had a biblical name like Zach?

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
majority of people dont even know rick rubin was the one who formed def jam and came up with the name. people dont understand how much credit rubin doesnt get for what he did for hip hop because of his work with slayer, u2 etc

Yup, The first artists of Def Jam was Rick Rubin's Punk Rock(Yes, Punk Rock) group Hose. It is crazy how little hip hop fans know of Rick Rubin..

But whatever, Def Jam and Rush management has a pretty crazy history.. Just glad Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons met at New York University. Vincent Gallo really deserves some credit for hooking those 2 up..

OT: Every Hip Hop fan should have "Def Jam Recordings: The First 25 Years of the Last Great Record Label" By Rizzoli

tumblr_loc4lkOeQw1qbwpvt.jpg

Awesome coffee table book. Amazing pictures(And yes the book has more pics then words)...

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
The kids don't have black names rubs me the wrong way,straigh asian from what I remember...might not mean much but its exhibit C of russell sellin out his culture imo:manny: maybe its just me but ill be damned if I married a white chick and she tried to name my son Zachary.

Are you serious right now? You're telling me that if they had a child and he named it *insert black name* that everything is fine? How doesn't this make her a sell out to her family and culture then? How dare a Korean woman has a child with a 'black name'. In your scenario no one wins unless the child is named something that has nothing to do with either culture. Oh wait that is 'selling out' too.

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Its crazy because alot of people dont even know that Rick started Def Jam by himself in college. And was operating it dolo for several months before he even met Russ. Russel simmons wasnt even into hip hop or music like that. He was a party promoter at the time

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Its crazy because alot of people dont even know that Rick started Def Jam by himself in college. And was operating it dolo for several months before he even met Russ. Russel simmons wasnt even into hip hop or music like that. He was a party promoter at the time

Most people who have been listening to Hip Hop in the 80s know the basic history of Def Jam. Russ was deep in the Hip Hop scene, much more than Rick. He was managing the biggest star in Hip Hop...Kurtis Blow. His younger brother Run was Kurtis Blow's DJ. Russ and Rick both needed each other. One with the business/go getter acumen(Russ) and the one with artistic vision(Rick).