Did Russell Simmons sellout Hip Hop? Curtis Sc00n goes in on twitter. updated

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
It's funny like Sc00n said that Lyor muscled his way from a hanger on to a partner to having more clout then Russell in 2012.

And let's not pretend that was all because Russell willingly fell back

:wtf:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

you do know that kimora is half black too right?

besides, this article is trash... it's dumb nikkas like this who think they're dropping knowledge but look stupid as fukk.

Yeah but do u think it wuz Russels idea to give them those names or hers....happy azz nikka got wit Kimora and lost all sense of self.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Yeah but do u think it wuz Russels idea to give them those names or hers....happy azz nikka got wit Kimora and lost all sense of self.

i mean, their momma is half korean....

is the problem he married and had kids by a half korean woman? or that said kids dont have "black" names?

make up your mind breh.

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
it's true tho

No it is not. Lyor pushed out Rick Rubin in 88 with the help of Russ. Lyor made Russ a shyt load of money. shyt Def Jam almost folded in 92. If it was not for Polygram and Warren G there is no def Jam as we know it today.

And Lyor was in the middle of those deals. Along with the signing of Foxy(yes her plat plaque was a big deal for def Jam),Meth, the Roc, DMX(who Lyor went to the ruff ryder studios in yonkers to see DMX with Irv, not Russ).

Hate Lyor all you want, but there is no 90's def Jam without Lyor.

Def Jam and Rush Management's history is fukked up. read up on it.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Hate Lyor all you want, but there is no 90's def Jam without Lyor.

Def Jam and Rush Management's history is fukked up. read up on it.

Russ knew what he was doing, bring in someone who looks like and is same as people who run the Industry. Lyor had a talent and Russ exploited it short term while Lyor exploited the situation in the long term.

r

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
Russ knew what he was doing, bring in someone who looks like and is same as people who run the Industry. Lyor had a talent and Russ exploited it short term while Lyor exploited the situation in the long term.

r

No doubt.

But what do you mean by "Lyor exploited it long term"?

Not trying to argue, just wondering what you mean. And for the record I am not saying Lyor is not a snake..

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

i mean, their momma is half korean....

is the problem he married and had kids by a half korean woman? or that said kids dont have "black" names?

make up your mind breh.

The kids don't have black names rubs me the wrong way,straigh asian from what I remember...might not mean much but its exhibit C of russell sellin out his culture imo:manny: maybe its just me but ill be damned if I married a white chick and she tried to name my son Zachary.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
No doubt.

But what do you mean by "Lyor exploited it long term"?

Not trying to argue, just wondering what you mean. And for the record I am not saying Lyor is not a snake..

He played Russ like a flute...Lyor is the enemy to black folks but Def Jam label slaves loved him cuzz it cut the check. Read the Def Jam book and if your 3rd Eye is open U can read between the lines on not only Lyor but Def Jam's allies(distributers/parent companies) true intentions.

• Dap
Reactions: dre

dre

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/DC
He played Russ like a flute...Lyor is the enemy to black folks but Def Jam label slaves loved him cuzz it cut the check. Read the Def Jam book and if your 3rd Eye is open U can read between the lines on not only Lyor but Def Jam's allies(distributers/parent companies) true intentions.

Exactly.

And I may have come off wrong with the "willingly" line but my point is Russell ultimately losing what power/status he had in the industry was more by design than just "he sold his stake because there's no money in music anyway"

There's not a single black man in the industry sitting at that big table...and he was probably the only chance for it to happen

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot

Russ always made more money then Lyor when it came to Def Jam, even off the sale to, no?

shyt while Lyor was running the day to day of Def Jam, Russ was able to start Phat Farm and concentrate on all the other ventures of Rush Communications..

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Russ always made more money then Lyor when it came to Def Jam, even off the sale to, no?

shyt while Lyor was running the day to day of Def Jam, Russ was able to start Phat Farm and concentrate on all the other ventures of Rush Communications..

Russ sold out the Def Jam brand and Hip Hop to Lyor while he went off and kissed up to the enemy. Lyor guided Russ into becoming a gatekeeper...Russ has been paid handsomely for his soul.

Firefly

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been reading the timeline for a few weeks. I'm enjoying the stories, but ready to see where it's headed. He's writing this book on twitter.