Did anyone teach you how to play video games?

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Never had to get taught how to play games. It's just something you knew how to do. I really don't like going online and having to read a walkthrough for a game I'm playing. One time though as a kid I was stuck somewhere in Bomberman 64 and I remember walking a mile to the nearest blockbuster store and sat down in the aisle reading a Nintendo Power magazine with a game guide for it.

Nintendo Power went out in style. Nester the Teen, becomes a Father.

nestermax1.jpg

nestermax2.jpg

:salute:

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Because you STARTED OUT with the two button controller, so you already had a solid foundation of how to play. Then games themselves also weren't NEARLY as complex as they are today.

That's still no excuse bruh. Most games prompt you to do things. And all fps and rpgs have tutorials and trainings before you actually get into the game

Tic Tac T O

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TORONTO!
nah but I got a lot of strategies and tips from my older cousin that was a wiz at games. he knew all the hidden codes, and tips like holding right on the 2nd controllers dpad which prevented you from dying from falling into pits in Megaman 3. his button mashing skills (like when you needed to power up, or kick out pins in old wrestling games) were unmatched, and from then on, I always copied his technique :salute:

Other than that, taking a beating in a fighting game against a friend usually helps me improve

Foxy

Wow
Daps
I taught myself how to play games over time. I remember playing through Donkey Kong Country Returns not too long ago and the game was whooping my ass.I wasn't going to give in and use the Super Kong though
ELxT4Wq.png
but when I finally beat the game it felt rewarding :myman:
Super_kong.png

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm saying the op's lil cousin shouldn't have to ask because the game is constantly telling you how to do it by giving him button prompts and tips during load screen. lil dude could have pressed start and looked at the controller layout or just looked at the upper left hand of the screen where the button user interface is, and let's not forget that these games have some sort of gps to tell you where to go and what not. these kids are just lazy now.

And that fair, but then the OP goes on to say he had no problem learning how to play Mario on the NES ignoring the fact that even WITH on screen prompts that he was playing a significantly less complex game with a significantly less complex controller.

So my point is the reason some of us didn't need to be taught to play mario is because Mario is an incredibly simple fukking game in comparisons to today's games (even with on screen instructions).

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
First game I was allowed to play was Super Mario Bros. for the NES...older siblings/cousins got all the serious play time

After I get to the first Koopa I moved on to Tetris and it was on from there

And no, nobody taught me shat, I just watched and learned. Trial by fire with games like Ninja Gaiden brehs :to:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
First game I was allowed to play was Super Mario Bros. for the NES...older siblings/cousins got all the serious play time

After I get to the first Koopa I moved on to Tetris and it was on from there

And no, nobody taught me shat, I just watched and learned. Trial by fire with games like Ninja Gaiden brehs :to:
I'm pretty sure Ninja Gaiden destroyed many kids desire to game if that's the first thing they played.

why the fukk does that bird keep coming back and fukking me up? :wtf:

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
I'm pretty sure Ninja Gaiden destroyed many kids desire to game if that's the first thing they played.

why the fukk does that bird keep coming back and fukking me up? :wtf:
Actually I couldn't beat shyt, losing was a custom, I didn't beat a game until WAY after I first started playing video games

And Ninjas were so cool, I just kept coming back for more......in fact, the entire experience of simply playing a video game as a kid was just :mindblown:

That appreciation :wow:

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
the old school mario games need not to be explained, but if I was still that age when i started that (5) but tried AC3....i wouldnt know what the fukk to do breh....games are more complicated now.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Actually I couldn't beat shyt, losing was a custom, I didn't beat a game until WAY after I first started playing video games

And Ninjas were so cool, I just kept coming back for more......in fact, the entire experience of simply playing a video game as a kid was just :mindblown:

That appreciation :wow:

Remember the first time you got past that Dam on TMNT?

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I think we can all agree, there is major difference from being taught how to play and someone giving you hints on how to play better.

Mario, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were the ONLY video games I needed help with. And thats because I was 3-5 years old.

I refuse for any kid 10 yrs or older to come to me with that "I don't know how to play" shyt. I smh @ my parents all the time when they ask dumb questions like "how do you control the guy."

The technology is not complicated. The controller jump from Sega Genesis to N64 is by far the realest shyt a young gamer ever had to deal with. I have no pity for nikkas that didn't have to experience that.