Did anyone teach you how to play video games?

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
My lil cousin is tryna play Assassin's Creed 3 and every ten minutes he ask me how to do something . shyt is kinda annoying. But it got me thinking about Mario on Nintendo and I don't recall anyone teaching me. I just started playing.

So how did you nikkas learn to play video games?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Nah, no one every really taught me shyt about how to play, aside from lil strategy move pointers on games long after I knew how to play them. But as far as having to sit me down on some shyt and teach me the basics, not really.

Yeah, shyt was just different in my generation coming up. We didn't require hand-holding to teach us games, that's for damn sure. Everyone just picked up the controller and could figure out most of the basics just off GP. I noticed as I got older, a lot of younger kids that I'd somehow end up playing some games with would ask me questions that had me wondering had they ever played a game before. shyt is almost akin to me teaching my moms about technology sometimes, lol & smh!:snoop:

Also, for anything that was brand new that you wouldn't most likely just automatically find out from playing the game (like when fighters first came on the scene), most gaming cats like myself would somehow acquire a vid magazine to tell us the movelists. You know, like...read and shyt...something else that today's youth and obviously too many nikkas in general seem to not like doing.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Nah, no one every really taught me shyt about how to play, aside from lil strategy move pointers on games long after I knew how to play them. But as far as having to sit me down on some shyt and teach me the basics, not really.

Yeah, shyt was just different in my generation coming up. We didn't require hand-holding to teach us games, that's for damn sure. Everyone just picked up the controller and could figure out most of the basics just off GP. I noticed as I got older, a lot of younger kids that I'd somehow end up playing some games with would ask me questions that had me wondering had they ever played a game before. shyt is almost akin to me teaching my moms about technology sometimes, lol & smh!:snoop:

Also, for anything that was brand new that you wouldn't most likely just automatically find out from playing the game (like when fighters first came on the scene), most gaming cats like myself would somehow acquire a vid magazine to tell us the movelists. You know, like...read and shyt...something else that today's youth and obviously too many nikkas in general seem to not like doing.

That's another thing. I remember having the MK2 and MK3 strategy guides back in the day. Along with a shyt ton of gaming mags back then

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
I'm sitting here telling him to read the directions and shyt. It's telling him to go undetected. I'm not telling him shyt tho. He needs to read that shyt.

He's not dumb, he just wants that shyt handed to him.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
NES_controller.jpg

All you had to do was press... A & B :comeon:

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
I'm sitting here telling him to read the directions and shyt. It's telling him to go undetected. I'm not telling him shyt tho. He needs to read that shyt.

He's not dumb, he just wants that shyt handed to him.

kids today want shyt handed them breh, it's sickening. my nephew was playing saints row 3 on easy :dahell: . that game is easy on it's hardiest settings! shyt was so disgusting, i turned the pc off and told him to play with my daughter's leap frog game i got her when she was 1 yrs old

Last edited:

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
No one had to teach me but there were plenty of people who asked to be taught.

Y'all are acting like you wanted to sit down and read the moveslist and the instructions of every game you bought before you jumped into the piffery. If I couldn't play the game for hours, I would read the instruction booklet.

If I could play right away, that shyt would be tossed to the side and I would consult it later. Then again, when I didn't know something, the only person around me who knew more about games would outright tell me how to do something so I would stop struggling.

"You gotta press X to do that"

"Oh, ok"

You can learn a bit from playing around on your own but not if you want to do something specific.

Spaceman Piff

Superstar
Daps
not as a kid.. but nintendo only had 2 buttons. i could figure that shyt out on my own. huge difference between trying to learn mario and ac3, especially if it's your first game.

i remember i went over my cousin's house as a kid.. and my uncle was teaching my cousin how to play mario. and for some fukkass reason, my uncle kept lifting the controller every time he wanted to jump. so he'd be sitting with the controller by his lap and then raise that shyt up to his head when he jumped.

:wtf:

as soon as he left the room, i had to set my lil cousin straight.

but i bought starcraft a couple months back.. and there's no way i could just learn to play that shyt on my own. even when my friends tried to help, i hit em with the :stopitslime: and uninstalled.

mozichrome

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nah, i may be playing game and may ask how to do something once, but mainly i just play around till i figure out

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
No one had to teach me but there were plenty of people who asked to be taught.

Y'all are acting like you wanted to sit down and read the moveslist and the instructions of every game you bought before you jumped into the piffery. If I couldn't play the game for hours, I would read the instruction booklet.

If I could play right away, that shyt would be tossed to the side and I would consult it later. Then again, when I didn't know something, the only person around me who knew more about games would outright tell me how to do something so I would stop struggling.

"You gotta press X to do that"

"Oh, ok"

You can learn a bit from playing around on your own but not if you want to do something specific.

That's how I went about it. Almost all the time gaming is common sense/trial error to get everything down.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
School of the hard knocks at my crib. Four siblings and me all waiting for a turn and the second you died, you lost the controller...no one was helping me, they were rooting for me to fail and I had to learn tricks to buy myself some extra time on the remote. The only two things i was taught was the secret path to the warp tunnels in Mario Bros. and fatalities in Mortal Kombat at the arcade.

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Nah I learned by trial and error. I played all the Resident Evil without a strategy guide took me forever to beat them but knowing I did it without help :stylin: