Deutschland 83 (Germany Language Cold War Drama)

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Does anyone know that song everyone was singing at that first a party in east Germany? I know the melody from somewhere but I couldn't figure it out

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Does anyone know that song everyone was singing at that first a party in east Germany? I know the melody from somewhere but I couldn't figure it out

You mean 99 Luftballons (99 Red Balloons)?
There was a running joke later on where you hear it again in West Germany and someone says "You hear this song EVERYWHERE!" That was true in the 80's, even in the US.

It's funny how the opening scene in this show takes place LITERALLY the same moment as the final scene in the season finale of "The Americans," during that Ronald Reagan speech.

I'm enjoying this, I plan to keep watching.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
You mean 99 Luftballons (99 Red Balloons)?
There was a running joke later on where you hear it again in West Germany and someone says "You hear this song EVERYWHERE!" That was true in the 80's, even in the US.

It's funny how the opening scene in this show takes place LITERALLY the same moment as the final scene in the season finale of "The Americans," during that Ronald Reagan speech.

I'm enjoying this, I plan to keep watching.
Yup, that's the song. Now here's another mystery---some hiphop group/rapper used that same melody in a song and I cannot fukking think of who it is. I keep wanting to say De La Soul for some reason but I don't think its them.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Oh shyt, I was thinking of fukking Scarface! this song samples 99 red balloons and I was just listening to The Diary like two days ago haha.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I love that they're going overboard with the 80's pop music. I think The Americans is a little scared to do that to avoid seeming cliched.

It's also interesting that the East Germans on this show thought that WWIII was pretty much on already. They really thought that the US had already ordered a sneak attack and were just moving the missiles in place to fire.

Still not sure about that Asian agent. Was she really trying to kill him, or just give him an alibi?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I just watched the second episode. I don't know if I'm feeling it like I did before. It seems like a procedural. I thought there would be more of an over-arching story arc. Maybe there is and it's still just early, but if it's gonna be "steal secret X from new Western official Y" every week, I dunno how I'm gonna feel about that.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I just watched the second episode. I don't know if I'm feeling it like I did before. It seems like a procedural. I thought there would be more of an over-arching story arc. Maybe there is and it's still just early, but if it's gonna be "steal secret X from new Western official Y" every week, I dunno how I'm gonna feel about that.

The over arching story line seems to be that the East Germans falsely think that this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83

is the Americans setting up a real sneak nuclear attack.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I like the way this show isn't shy about going overboard with the 80's popular music. "The Americans" on FX is afraid of seeming cliched with its music. Deutschland 83, on the other hand, will play "99 Luftballons" or "Hungry Like the Wolf" twice in the same episode and turn it into a running joke. They're not exactly "subtle" with the music. Loved the "Walkman" scenes.