Detroit Lions hire Saints TE Coach Dan Campbell

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Further proof that as a HC, being a leader of men and motivator is more important than being a "offensive genius". GMs have gotten so lazy, all they do is look on nfl.com at best offensive teams in NFL and then create their list of hot candidates to go after.
Exactly why im skeptical of Ben Johnson as a head coach. Aaron Glenn is clearly a natural leader but all the press goes to the quiet hot shot young OC Johnson

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Further proof that as a HC, being a leader of men and motivator is more important than being a "offensive genius". GMs have gotten so lazy, all they do is look on nfl.com at best offensive teams in NFL and then create their list of hot candidates to go after.

So Colorado going undefeated this season??:youngsabo:

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
I'll eat crow. Did way better than I thought he would. Still surprised how many brothas he's given a coaching shot being an Aggie and all
This is an interesting point. Is he endorsing the coaches or is it Holmes or do they work by committee? Either way they’re getting results that nobody expected.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
This is an interesting point. Is he endorsing the coaches or is it Holmes or do they work by committee? Either way they’re getting results that nobody expected.

Based on his postgame presser, it sounds like he is HYPER AWARE that his primary role is to get the team to always believe they can accomplish the mission, and he clearly excels at that.

He credited a lot of the coaching staff/FO by name. That said, a lot of people in the league say Campbell doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves as a sharp football mind.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Exactly why im skeptical of Ben Johnson as a head coach. Aaron Glenn is clearly a natural leader but all the press goes to the quiet hot shot young OC Johnson

More coaches need to be honest with themselves as to where their lot in life actually lays.

It's alright to be a great coordinator and just leave it at that.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
More coaches need to be honest with themselves as to where their lot in life actually lays.

It's alright to be a great coordinator and just leave it at that.
Head coach is more an executive position than a football one. Granted there are some HCs that get deep in the weeds with offensive/defensive playcalling, but that's why you hire your position coaches/coordinators.

It's a very different skillset and there's no shame in realizing you don't have the CEO mindset.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Head coach is more an executive position than a football one. Granted there are some HCs that get deep in the weeds with offensive/defensive playcalling, but that's why you hire your position coaches/coordinators.

It's a very different skillset and there's no shame in realizing you don't have the CEO mindset.
I can see the ones who have crazy innovative offenses that will turn a team around over night ala Andy Reid, McVey and Shanahan. They would be worth the risk but a lot of these so called offensive geniuses ain't nearly on the level of those 3. I read Lions and Texans fans saying they cant wait till Johnson and Slowick are gone next season because how shaky the offenses can be. Trust, neither is going to any team and turning an offense around unless they have hella hella weapons and a QB. It'll be just like the Arthur Smith hire in Atlanta.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I can see the ones who have crazy innovative offenses that will turn a team around over night ala Andy Reid, McVey and Shanahan. They would be worth the risk but a lot of these so called offensive geniuses ain't nearly on the level of those 3. I read Lions and Texans fans saying they cant wait till Johnson and Slowick are gone next season because how shaky the offenses can be. Trust, neither is going to any team and turning an offense around unless they have hella hella weapons and a QB. It'll be just like the Arthur Smith hire in Atlanta.
On the other hand, look at the Eagles - when you hire a guy who is wholly reliant on their coordinators and they eventually move on for HC positions themselves, you have to scramble to replace them and sometimes you make a bad call(Desai, Patricia, Johnson)

If you hire a guy that is good schematically on one side of the ball, at least you know you should in theory always be at least competent on their end. I don't ever envision a Shanahan or McVay led offense being bottom of the league.