Detroit Lions hire Saints TE Coach Dan Campbell

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Based on his postgame presser, it sounds like he is HYPER AWARE that his primary role is to get the team to always believe they can accomplish the mission, and he clearly excels at that.

He credited a lot of the coaching staff/FO by name. That said, a lot of people in the league say Campbell doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves as a sharp football mind.
He plays into the meathead schtick heavy purposely imo. I've seen him literally lie to reporters about watching the crowd on some goofball shyt and not knowing a play was being called, meanwhile the real footage shows him making the decisions with his coordinators. The press and public eat that shyt up cause it makes for great sound bytes and they typically don't want to discuss X's and O's. He's a sharp football mind and was calling and drawing up offensive plays when they first fired Anthony Lynn. It was no coincidence that the offense picked up around that time, along with adding Reynolds as he brought Ben Johnson along.

He's unconventional in his aggressiveness and I don't mind it at all, as I think football coaches are way too conservative and it's rubbed off on fans. So much to the point that anything not out of the normal punt or kick dynamic in 4th downs is automatically labeled as "dumb" or "risky". You can tell by the Lions preparedness in these situations that they are heavily practiced and the coaches are focused on execution. They have a play for every situation, and oft times the success rate is higher because of the simple fact that the opposing team isn't prepared to handle those situations as they're prepared more in the mold of conventional playcalling. shyt ain't always gonna work, and he's constantly gonna be second guessed, but I guarantee you the team wasn't unprepared. And honestly, it just makes for a more entertaining product, which is ultimately why we're all here anyway :manny:

Last edited:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
He's plays into the meathead schtick heavy purposely imo. I've seen him literally lie to reporters about watching the crowd on some goofball shyt and not knowing a play was being called, meanwhile the real footage shows him making the decisions with his coordinators. The press and public eat that shyt up cause it makes for great sound bytes and they typically don't want to discuss X's and O's. He's a sharp football mind and was calling and drawing up offensive plays when they first fired Anthony Lynn. It was no coincidence that the offense picked up around that time, along with adding Reynolds as he brought Ben Johnson along.

He's unconventional in his aggressiveness and I don't mind it at all, as I think football coaches are way too conservative and it's rubbed off on fans. So much to the point that anything not out of the normal punt or kick dynamic in 4th downs is automatically labeled as "dumb" or "risky". You can tell by the Lions preparedness in these situations that they are heavily practiced and the coaches are focused on execution. They have a play for every situation, and oft times the success rate is higher because of the simple fact that the opposing team isn't prepared to handle those situations as they're prepared more in the mold of conventional playcalling. shyt ain't always gonna work, and he's constantly gonna be second guessed, but I guarantee you the team wasn't unprepared. And honestly, it just makes for a more entertaining product, which is ultimately why we're all here anyway :manny:
Campbell has already surpassed Fontes :manny:

Imagine Barry on this squad/in today's league :wow:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Let’s see.

Detroit needs a quarterback. Another WR to go opposite Amon. Another TE.

And pretty much an entire new defensive front.

Dan Campbell will be fired in a year. Maybe 18 months. And they’re going to waste Amon’s talent. They’re wasting Jamaal Williams’ talent. They wasted Hockenson’s talent. And they’ve done nothing to build a foundation since wasting Megatron’s talent.

The Lions are awful. And will be awful for some time.

Bookmark this.
Cotdayum you couldn't have been more wrong. St Brown is 1st team all pro, Jamaal Williams scored 1 "make a wish" td all year for the saints, courtesy of Jameis, while the lions have 2 1k all purpose rbs on the roster, Laporta is all pro and better than Hockenson as a rookie, and he actually run blocks and doesn't go down at the first hint of contact from db's. They didn't just make another Hov, they made better Hovs:scusthov: This front office and coaching staff knows how to find and develop talent. And it's still early so I'd say the foundation is still being built, and yet their 1 game away from their first superbowl appearance. Looks like Campbell's job might be pretty safe for another 18 months at least:yeshrug:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Campbell has already surpassed Fontes :manny:

Imagine Barry on this squad/in today's league :wow:
He definitely has, and I still rock wit Fontes. He was likable and at least had the team consistently mediocre. It wasn't until post Fontes that they became the laughingstock that everyone has grown accustomed to them being over the last 20 years or so.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Cotdayum you couldn't have been more wrong. St Brown is 1st team all pro, Jamaal Williams scored 1 "make a wish" td all year for the saints, courtesy of Jameis, while the lions have 2 1k all purpose rbs on the roster, Laporta is all pro and better than Hockenson as a rookie, and he actually run blocks and doesn't go down at the first hint of contact from db's. They didn't just make another Hov, they made better Hovs:scusthov: This front office and coaching staff knows how to find and develop talent. And it's still early so I'd say the foundation is still being built, and yet their 1 game away from their first superbowl appearance. Looks like Campbell's job might be pretty safe for another 18 months at least:yeshrug:
I was wrong.

So what.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I'm of the mindset that Brad Holmes has had one of the best three year stretches ever for a general manager. He did what Dame Dash couldn't do and that's make another Hov in moving from Hockenson to LaPorta in addition to all of the other picks he's made. Dan Campbell still gets in his way at times but we are so talented now, we can overcome miscues that would have killed us in the past.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Terry the Racist has really shrunk after all those surgeries. Dude like 6'1, 6'2 now. He was billed at 6'8 (obviously not true) but he was definitely Campbells height (6'5).

Also we dont need his kind around this squad :mjpls:.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Terry the Racist has really shrunk after all those surgeries. Dude like 6'1, 6'2 now. He was billed at 6'8 (obviously not true) but he was definitely Campbells height (6'5).

Also we dont need his kind around this squad :mjpls:.
Campbell did go to A&M. IYKYK