Derek Fisher on the 90s/2000s NBA vs current NBA. Is he right, or is he another Retired player hating?

Do you agree current NBA is WWE, older NBA is WWF?

• Yes I agree, he has a point

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No I do not, he's just another retired player hating again

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
That piece of shyt being a starting point guard in that era is damaging to any argument of how great the era was.

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Two points, one derrick fisher is seriously underrated player and was very solid in the playoffs for those laker teams, hit several clutch shots, i keep saying that lakers super team should have won 6 championship in a row with that starting team and the role players.
In terms of the caliber of player todays players are stronger, more atheltic and more skilled at the game of basketball than in 80s and 90s, there is comparison at all on that issue
I don’t know much about you other than that I hate you.

Daps
That was a good analogy and his point about sports now geared towards 'entertainment' is also on accurate.
Well, it's not entirely accurate.

While the globalization of the sport has naturally pushed it to being [more] entertaining, that doesn't mean it's sacrificed its competitive value.

The whole reason for why offenses are centered around the 3-pt shot now is based upon it's winning value. Teams aren't shooting 3s because of entertainment, they're shooting them because 3 > 2. The talent pool in the league is deeper than it was in previous eras, and as a result. players are developing much younger than were before.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So what was the wwf compared to wwe?

I don’t get the analogy
He is trying to say the modern era is more geared towards entertainment. He either doesnt know or just didnt consider that even when it was WWF is was about entertainment. Matter fact it was WWF Entertainment. They literally just took the F out because them Pandas got in that ass. nikkas wasnt really fighting back then :mjlol: But people of a certain age swear by that old product because it defined their childhood. Many of them cant get into the current stuff. So its unintentionally a spot on analogy because the only thing that has changed is the people doing it and the ages/perspective of fans and old heads, not the intention and focus of the entity.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I missed one word when I typed up a quote that still maintained the exact same point, at worst with a slight degree of hyperbole.

If that's the issue you took with my post then maybe this isn't the forum for you. :dead:

All this writing to ignore that my argument was correct - the modern game is no more "built on entertainment rather than competitiveness" than the 1990s game was. If anything, it's the opposite. Funny to see guys constantly bragging about how prettier the previous generation's playe was and much more entertaining and unique the older playstyles were while the modern game has become too prescibed and analytics-based.....but then they want to turn around and say it's about entertainment, not winning?

Using analytics as the end-all is the prime example of choosing competitivenes ove rentertainment.

I think leagues and sports (not teams) have tilted the dial towards entertainment in recent years. Removing the hand check rule, more protection on the QB... to an extent that limits the ability of lesser talented teams to keep up with teams that have elite talent. You could argue that there isn somewhat of a Pareto relationship between competitiveness and entertainment.

Teams will use analytics to gain an edge regardless. They were doing this in the 90s, they just have better tools to do it today (hence the proliferation of the 3). So that makes up for some of the adjustments made to the sport at the league level.

But I don't think Fisher is wrong in his take.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Rule changes didn't limit the "gritty hard nose defensive tactical battle" at all. Pistons, Spurs, Pacers were all putting forth absolutely suffocating tactical defensive teams after the initial rule changes, far better than anything that existed in the 1990s. I would argue that defensive tactical battles continued to only get better until peaking with the Bulls/Pacers/Heat/Pacers/Spurs etc in the early 2010s. The reason they faded wasn't rule changes, it was the impossibility of guarding teams with that intensity when they have 4-5 three-point shooters on the court at all times along with the epidemic of injuries that hit.

Officials in every era have tried to change the rules to keep the game from stagnating (widening the key in the 1960s, adding the 3pt shot in the 1970s, adding 5-second rule and shortening the 3pt line in the 1990s, adding the zone in the early 2000s), but the changes of the last 20 years have been comparatively minor in both execution and impact.

Which is exactly what KD said when he was on JJ Redikk’s podcast a year or two ago, it’s become easier to score largely because the spacing & pace has made offenses harder to guard

Eventually defenses will catch up but we aren’t there yet, we’re seeing it happen now in the NFL

Sleepy Floyd

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
The WWF was scripted and so is WWE. It's ironic because he played for the Lakers and the refs cheated for them all the time :russ: he got some nerve

The WWF only changed their name to WWE because they got sued by some clout chasing wildlife company

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
every generation feels the same about the generation after them.....players from the 70s and 80s said this about his era...so on and so forth :manny: