Derek Fisher on the 90s/2000s NBA vs current NBA. Is he right, or is he another Retired player hating?

Do you agree current NBA is WWE, older NBA is WWF?

• Yes I agree, he has a point

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No I do not, he's just another retired player hating again

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
They changed to WWE in May 2002, Stone Cold’s prime was already over by then

I would say bc back then less was known about the industry behind the scenes so it was easier to maintain the kayfabe that it was real, and the image they wanted it to be as conservative and family friendly as possible

At its core though, wrestling has always been what it is - A TV show about a sport

I lost interest in wrestling long before that so my timelines wont be exact.
Whether or not it was easier or not because of lack of media and access, fact is in the public eye it went from legit sport to scripted theatre and you could use that analogy and be correct although the WWF/WWE timeline would be slightly off....When i think of WWF i think of Hogan Andre Sheik Bundy when it was treated as authentic sport....it was always treated as scripted crap since being under WWE.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Kaientai tying Val Venis up :mjlol:

Big Boss Man cooking Al Snow’s dog, then invading Big Show’s daddy funeral and dragging the casket with his truck :mjlol:
I've been watching the Vince doc on Netflix and being reminded of all the fukkery :dead:

I was too young to see the AE as I'm a late 90's baby and my era is the Ruthless Agression era but I'd go back and watch all the clips and segments from YouTube but the doc brought me back in

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whether or not it was easier or not because of lack of media and access, fact is in the public eye it went from legit sport to scripted theatre and you could use that analogy and be correct although the WWF/WWE timeline would be slightly off....When i think of WWF i think of Hogan Andre Sheik Bundy when it was treated as authentic sport....it was always treated as scripted crap since being under WWE.
But it wasnt. Thats kinda the point that Derek is unkowingly making. Its the same shyt, its just people view it differently.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I don’t think the WWF was ever truly considered a real sport, in the 70s/80s it was just easier to market it as one for the reasons I gave. I don’t think the masses ever put it in the same class as the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. Mainly only kids bought it as legit

At its core the main thing has always been the main thing - It’s a scripted TV show about a real sport where athletes portray good guy/bad characters and engage in scripted feuds that culminate with a wrestling match that has a predetermined outcome. Hulk Hogan was just as much of a character as John Cena

OnlyOneBoss

Superstar
Daps
Sports has always been entertainment. Arenas and stadiums are bigger than theatres. Most people arent entertained by sports in their purists form though...especially as entertainment options continue to grow. For some they arent entertained at all unless there is a certain player that catches their attention or the mob tells them they should be. So all sports strive to attract people even if the quality of the game has to be sacrificed. shyt pro wrestling used to be legit. But when they realized people were more invested in personalities, presentation, and conflict over actual competition they said fukk it and went all in on that and didnt even worry about competition part anymore.

That’s why I fully believe most major sports are rigged now :manny:

They are 100% in the entertainment business, and that is all about personalities, narratives, and storylines.

I’m not gonna say they have a literal script for each season. But behind the scenes I think more strings are being pulled than we think/want to believe