Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any element of self responsibility is interpreted as some sort of conservative c00nery.

Self responsibility is important, but that's not really the discussion we need to be having, that's just goddamn common sense

The conversation we need to be having pertains to the system :francis:

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Are black kids dying of opiate overdoses?
No.
We're not part of that 65000.
Do we have 1000+ body count years in NYC or Chicago now? No, that was the 70s and 80s... BEFORE ANS DURING CRACK.
Hey...are teens controlling million dollar drug houses and carrying exotic automatic weapons like the late 80s crack era? No.
Is anybody walking over dead bodies?
No.
Are we in an era where NYC rent is 600 a month for a studio in Manhattan?
No.
Are we in an era where you can get mugged on the train by a pack of youngns...and maybe die? No.
I know I didn't have to worry about getting shot for a bullshyt starter jacket in high school...BUT IN 1994, WHEN I WAS TEN...IT WAS A fukkING PROBLEM. COULDN'T EVEN WEAR HATS TURNED.
:camby: and #nopromo

fukk celebrities.

Yeah, I remember that. Mom switched me to LogoAthletic....SMH. The 90s...

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
The system created the environment for parental failure.
Everything from dense, poor areas of nearly all Black people, to schools that have failed for decades, to increased prison sentences and police presence for small, non-violent crimes, to the economic void in nearly all of these areas leading to mass-unemployment, to segregated higher education that stopped Black peoples from getting college education when it became the initial springboard, etc.
You don't ignore the above to talk about "personal responsibility." He's too old to be this short-sighted.
You don't think everyone is in jail on a non-violent charge, do you?

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The system created the environment for parental failure.
Everything from dense, poor areas of nearly all Black people, to schools that have failed for decades, to increased prison sentences and police presence for small, non-violent crimes, to the economic void in nearly all of these areas leading to mass-unemployment, to segregated higher education that stopped Black peoples from getting college education when it became the initial springboard, etc.
You don't ignore the above to talk about "personal responsibility." He's too old to be this short-sighted.
A whole lot of editorializing off the assumption he ignores the above. I don’t see where he does that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with reinforcing resilience in your kids and encouraging stronger parenting.

Are black parents ever allowed to talk about raising their kids in any fashion, without listing the above?

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
This is why we need Dr. Sandy Darity and the like fighting back against this ridiculous victim blaming :beli:

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
This is precisely what I hate about new age progressives. Any element of self responsibility is interpreted as some sort of conservative c00nery. Denzel didnt say the system is fair. His comment is about raising your children well to make sure they can succeed, despite those challenges. Whats wrong with that?

Most of these folks having a problem with Denzel statement are NOT parents

Even if they do have kids they are not PARENTING

Grandma...the Government and the mystery GOD in the sky does the job for them.....

They have been Institutionalized to the point they don't see the value of raising Thier own kids with Thier own code of values because they so use to others creating values for them....

They are content with being discontent

And I as a Self made man and single father raising a young boy who just made honor's in his S.T.E.M school can't identify with these UNDERACHIEVING WEAK AZZ WEIRDOES....

they fukking up my sense of smell for success and Thanksgiving leftovers ..

Cause I smell PUZZIES :camby:

is that you @Hiphoplives4eva

I smell Puzzy...

Is that you @StarGirl

Yall straight Puzzy ....

And are assisting the Government in holding us back as a Race....

Maybe yall should be INCARCERATED with your toxic thoughts
:ufdup:

Daps
I'm not surprised by this statement. You don't become as successful as Denzel, a black man in the media capital of white supremacy, without making a compromise with the devil. If Denzel said the exact opposite, that black men and women are victims of a racist criminal justice system expressly engineered to imprison them and destroy black families, he would have a hard time getting work on Oprah's network.