Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
As said a few times. He is right and wrong here. It does start at home. However, there is an argument that the overly aggressive way the justice system acts toward black folks put unfair strain on a stable home when even the smallest mistakes end up with max sentences due to racial bias.

However, dudes expecting Norm Chomsky like nuance and dissection of social/political issues from Actors who are giving interviews in a limited time are being a bit unrealistic.

So...a rational response to this would be "I see where denzel is coming from but I disagree because xyz" instead of calling him a c00n and think he committed some grand sin.

Curufinwe

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Brussel
Further drives home the point women of today's era are simply incapable of raising a child, let alone a black child.
They are Instagram models.....that's a fantastic occupation and achievement:yeshrug:

In 10 years they will be mad against "regular" women who will get their degree, their job, their house and a regular husband.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Are black kids dying of opiate overdoses?
No.
We're not part of that 65000.
Do we have 1000+ body count years in NYC or Chicago now? No, that was the 70s and 80s... BEFORE AND DURING CRACK.
Hey...are teens controlling million dollar drug houses and carrying exotic automatic weapons like the late 80s crack era? No.
Is anybody walking over dead bodies?
No.
Are we in an era where NYC rent is 600 a month for a studio in Manhattan?
No.
Are we in an era where you can get mugged on the train by a pack of youngns...and maybe die? No.
I know I didn't have to worry about getting shot for a bullshyt starter jacket in high school...BUT IN 1994, WHEN I WAS TEN...IT WAS A fukkING PROBLEM. COULDN'T EVEN WEAR HATS TURNED.
:camby: and #nopromo

fukk celebrities.

Last edited:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Its not just "at home" :scust:
While parental guidance is key to staying out of the mass-incarceration system, it won't prevent it, not by a long shot.
The targeting of Black, Native and Latino (especially Black) communities for small-scale crimes did what it was supposed to.
If you think all those guys who did football numbers running base in the 80s were fatherless or were all raised horribly, I've got some Saudi oil I can sell you.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is precisely what I hate about new age progressives. Any element of self responsibility is interpreted as some sort of conservative c00nery. Denzel didnt say the system is fair. His comment is about raising your children well to make sure they can succeed, despite those challenges. Whats wrong with that?

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:salute:

Liberals, Democrats, and Feminists have created the criminal industrial complex not racism.
The same people who want you to vote and support their rights wouldn't want you to live next door to them. We need to start thinking like immigrants instead of Americans. Family and education first.
nikka shut the fukk up :russ:

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its not just "at home" :scust:
While parental guidance is key to staying out of the mass-incarceration system, it won't prevent it, not by a long shot.
The targeting of Black, Native and Latino (especially Black) communities for small-scale crimes did what it was supposed to.
If you think all those guys who did football numbers running base in the 80s were fatherless or were all raised horribly, I've got some Saudi oil I can sell you.
Where did he say its just at home?

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
I gotta admit that I kinda agree with you on this one. A certain segment in our community likes the thrill of the so-called bad boy (who himself isn't bad, but confused).

And it's having serious ramifications on our Community....

I feel so sorry for the two young black boys of that 39 year old I dated...

She basically set them up for failure.....

With her bad choices...

Didn't give me no play when we was teenagers cause she was too busy chasing dope boys and boosters

And decided to breed with them :snoop:

And now both sons hate Thier pops

And lord knows as a potential stepdaddy I tried to be a positive influence to turn Thier lives around...

But it's hard to that when she allowed them to smoke weed in the house .,constantly babied them by giving them money and letting them stay with her as adults while they commited crimes....

But like Denzel said IT STARTS AT HOME...

I learned that when I went to the family reunion and got to meet her mama and pops...

The mama was on some Madea shyt.... talking shyt and went to church but had a side dude....60 years old with a side dude

The pops was a weed smoking WEAK AZZ MAN who let his woman and all the women of the family boss him around..

Right then and there I was like :hubie:

And when we returned home I made my exit plan...

Now she is SINGLE again with two kids in the system

And Y'ALL wanna blame Uncle Sam :camby:

You people will NEVER make it life :rudy:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
This is precisely what I hate about new age progressives. Any element of self responsibility is interpreted as some sort of conservative c00nery. Denzel didnt say the system is fair. His comment is about raising your children well to make sure they can succeed, despite those challenges. Whats wrong with that?
Well they keep saying it's not that simple so hopefully they can break down the complexities for us :patrice:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The system created the environment for parental failure.
Everything from dense, poor areas of nearly all Black people, to schools that have failed for decades, to increased prison sentences and police presence for small, non-violent crimes, to the economic void in nearly all of these areas leading to mass-unemployment, to segregated higher education that stopped Black peoples from getting college education when it became the initial springboard, etc.
You don't ignore the above to talk about "personal responsibility." He's too old to be this short-sighted.