Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'

Daps
In “Roman J. Israel, Esq.” Denzel Washington plays an idealistic defense attorney whose beliefs are tested when he joins a new law firm.

The Oscar winner says making the film did not make him more cynical about the justice system and, when asked about the prison-industrial complex, the “Malcolm X” star offered a surprising take.

“It starts at the home,” he told reporters at the film’s downtown New York premiere. “It starts at home.”

When prodded to expand on his answer, the 62-year-old Mount Vernon native replied: “It starts with how you raise your children. If a young man doesn’t have a father figure, he’ll go find a father figure.

“So you know I can’t blame the system,” he continued. “It’s unfortunate that we make such easy work for them.”

Washington came into the project with an insider’s edge on writer-director Dan Gilroy; he spars at the same gym as Jake Gyllenhaal, who starred in Gilroy’s critically acclaimed 2014 film “Nightcrawler,” and the actor gave Washington a full briefing on Gilroy.

“I got to learn a little bit about Dan in advance, and to see the great collaboration they had together,” Washington explained. “So it was easy, it was seamless and it was invigorating.”

(Washington declined to answer questions as to whether he or Gyllenhaal would win in the boxing ring).

The Oscar winner has played a lawyer before (“Philadelphia”), but his reasons for taking on this role weren’t so much because he wanted to return to a courtroom.

“It really didn’t have much to do with that,” he said. “It was just that Dan wrote a good script, a good story, the guy happened to be a lawyer. Law wasn’t the thing that attracted me to the story.”

Roman Israel — a legal savant — is certainly a departure for the actor. Washington told the Daily News that he based the character’s eccentricities on those of a friend’s son who is on the autism spectrum.

“He knew all the laws and everything, so I did a lot of research on Asperger’s, and the spectrum, and went in that direction,” he revealed.

Washington says he is not worrying about what his fans will make of this film.

“I just do what I do,” the “Training Day” star said. “I can’t be concerned. I don’t know what they’re going to think, so that’s not something that comes into my head. . . . If it’s something I’m interested in, then I do it if I can, and we’ll find out what they think about it.”

Denzel Washington says don't blame the prison system

:mjpls:

The bolded is very true and I'm sure we've all witnessed it.

Last edited:

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
All the more reason to stay the fukk out of it.

Look, we’re not playing with a full hand.
So why compound the problem and make it harder on yourself.

with all the threads we done had on here in the last year alone of police getting caught planting drugs on black people, y'all gonna try this shyt???

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
so you think the justice system is fair to black people???

No.....HELL NO IT ISN'T..

And we as black folks seem to forget that...

But we also have So many stupid young folks out here taking PENITENTIARY RISKS cause they DONT wanna live a regular lifestyle (work a job ..raise a family) ....

Cause they so attracted to street life cause it's a life of no accountability

Cause THEY HAD NO REAL FATHERS OR OGs in Thier life

Or no structure period

Then wanna CRY when the "Man's lock they black azz up cause they was too busy thuggingn and drugging

I dated a 39 year old women whose oldest son is in Rahway prison right now in Jersey..and the other one is about to do time in Georgia....

And I BLAME HER...both they daddies was in and out of prison.......

So Denzel is right it starts at home

As parents u need to do everything but can to protect your child from falling victim to the system

Last edited:

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Our individual lives start in the home.

The system started and was established before we were even fukking born. :francis:

I hate when black people, through luck, circumstances, opportunity, and sometimes tap dancing manage to avoid the pitfalls in the system, get a little change in their pocket, and then start talking that respectability politics shyt. :camby:

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
He told NO LIES :ufdup:

mane all these sorry azz thotting single mothers who made bad choices in men have gave birth to all these SAVAGES entering the Prison Industry complex
:what:

He told no lies? While what he may be saying is HALF true at best, the prison-industrial complex is designed to prey on the poor and BLACK. The government CIA and FBI have broken up family homes. Also, the government made sure to have single Black women without a man get subsidized housing and food stamps. That became their new daddy.

Denzel is fukking stupid here. Our system is corrupt and I would own his ass in this discussion. The US Justice System is known to over sentence Blacks. Especially, the ones from impoverished areas.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
This should be good :sas2:

Very good

fErXYsN.gif

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
with all the threads we done had on here in the last year alone of police getting caught planting drugs on black people, y'all gonna try this shyt???

But NOT every black person in jail has been the victim of a corrupt cop

Thier is a subculture of black people who simply see jail as a right of passage

I use to oversee a group of temp workers on a job site...

And during lunch heard them all share Thier street heists and jail stories ...

It was sad....cause not only they took delight in what they did

They all shared one common factor

They had NO FAMILY STRUCTURE...

Cause most of Thier antics and behaviour was co-signed by Thier MAMA

Corey Holcomb said it best...

"It's the OFFSPRING OF RATCHET CLUB BYATCHES FROM THE 90s that are causing HAVOC on the streets of CHICAGO!!"

Raye82

Sista Darkness
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Beardgang :noah:
Y'all, always trying to call someone a c00n and we all know Denzel is far from being one. As black people, we are not a monolith. We all think differently about why our community suffers. He's right to a certain extent and I think the system takes advantage of those who don't have that proper parental or familial background. There are some black people with great family backgrounds that slip through the cracks, but for the most part, those who are unfairly treated by the system come from broken backgrounds.