Dee Barnes speaks. "me and the other women Dr. Dre beat up."

MidwestD

Clyde Frog's Shooter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For the past roughly 20 years, Dre has been an upstanding citizen, business man, and a huge philanthropist.
He has taken people out of poverty, provided them good paying careers, and has given us classic music. The Chronic
literally changed hip hop. For all I just mentioned, he deserves major props.

BUT, that does NOT give him a pass for the fact that he used to be serial woman beater, and the other members of NWA don't
get a pass for basically sayin "bytch deserved it" in the press. The fact is, this is a part of their story, no matter how long ago that part of the story is.

JackUzi

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
imagine hating women so much that when one talks about the time she was violently assaulted due to something that wasn't her doing, you take the side of the guy who committed the assault

This.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
wow @ "black bytches"

ur definitely white just like 95% of aftermath fans.:mjlol:

he reminds me of dave chapelle.

one of the youtube comments says "this guy is a good talker. he should narrate children's books".

she didnt just get blackballed from "set it off".

she probably just focused on that one cuz f. gary gray was the director and dre was in it.

6 degres of separation.

yall need to stop fronting and quit acting like this wasnt mainly a biopic of dr dre & ice cube.

it absolutely fits into this film. its a biopic and this was a big occurence in his career. NOT ONLY DRE'S CAREER, but it was at the center of the ice cube/NWA beef.

she hasnt been quiet for 20 years. you just werent aware of it.

im pretty sure you got corrected on that already.

you clearly have an agenda.

i disagree.

if they wouldve just halfway addressed one of the incidents, there wouldnt be as much backlash. sure, there would be some because it would spark conversation and prompt people to do their research. but it wouldnt be as big of a deal as it is now.

every known woman-beater with a biopic has had at least one scene where they acknowledged it and there was no backlash. dre brought this chit on himself, and he shouldve known better seeing that this chit has been buzzin ever since michel'le has been back on TV. dudes in here acting like people are sweeping the dirt out from under the rug, but this has been boiling over for a while now.

the movie is basically a cube & dre fluff-piece. you got dre hulking up against gangbanging goonies and stepping to suge and other :duck: in the flick, but he tried to sweep his real dirt under the rug. he deserves every bit of backlash.

if hes a sucka, then hes a sucka. aint no way around it.

and the timing is perfect. if he didnt want any backlash for it, then he shouldve addressed it in the movie instead of trying to paint himself as a super hero.

imagine hating women so much that when one talks about the time she was violently assaulted due to something that wasn't her doing, you take the side of the guy who committed the assault

It looks bad on her or whoevers part to try to take this historic moment and ruin it, just so she can get the #fakeoutrage team on her side.. No one is taking Dre side (atleast I aint) I just don't like how rare it is for a "black movie" that isn't about slavery to get this kind of praise only to have people spend all their energy to shyt on the moment for their personal agenda.. That is just as wack as him brushing it under the rug,

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
I have a daughter, she's straight... If a man ever puts a hand on her, me and her uncles will handle that IMMEDIATLEY...

And it won't be on a message board or Twitter 25 years after the fact while I'm wearing the n1ggas headphones..

:pachaha:

You wanna help Dee Barnes?...Build a time machine, hop in it and pull that n1gga off of her...If not than you're just trying to make yourself look and feel better... This assault has been public knowledge for over 25 years.. I can promise you in that time period, EVERYONE in here has given more money to Andre Young than to Dee Barnes or any women shelter..

I don't have time for fake outrage.. I haven't even eaten breakfast yet...
i dont think its fake outrage to listen to a story from someone who isnt as famous as the dude that beat her and two other women senseless and instead just disregard the dude's actions. its just acknowledging her story. i know his, he's been dodging it his whole life.

BigF

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As someone else said she doesn't seem too bitter in this interview. She's speaking on it quite eloquently and calmly. Dre was wrong for what he did. It probably should have been acknowledged in the movie especially as it was a big and well publicised part of the NWA story at the time.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
It looks bad on her or whoevers part to try to take this historic moment and ruin it, just so she can get the #fakeoutrage team on her side.. No one is taking Dre side (atleast I aint) I just don't like how rare it is for a "black movie" that isn't about slavery to get this kind of praise only to have people spend all their energy to shyt on the moment for their personal agenda.. That is just as wack as him brushing it under the rug,

this isnt a historic moment.

its just a fluff-piece for a couple rappers.

and you best-believe when a flick like this gets crazy promotion and high-praise out the gate, theres ulterior motives & f*ckery involved. dont get lost in the hype.

48and0

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
wow @ "black bytches"

ur definitely white just like 95% of aftermath fans.:mjlol:

keep capin for your black queens who never [pass up a chance to bring a successful black man down. you are a simp ass fakkit black women and white men both hate black men and do whatever they can to bring them down. :camby:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
OG Dee came back thru:cape: and Snoop Dogg the Building:dead:

...BEATSbyDre Pummeling Women and Crushing their Fingers:scust:

How long til Geffen/Iovine say Arrivederci to GayAssDre, tho:birdman:

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
“Straight Outta Compton” is the second movie released this year in which Paul Giamatti plays a sinister impresario connected to musical genius. And while he’s equally unnerving as music impresario Jerry Heller and Eugene Landy, the psychologist who took control of Brian Wilson’s (Paul Dano as a young Wilson, John Cusack as Wilson in later years) life in “Love & Mercy,” it’s no contest as to which Giamatti picture is the better depiction of the actual music-making process.

There’s an early scene in “Straight Outta Compton” where Dre (Corey Hawkins) essentially teaches Eazy-E (Jason Mitchell) to rap, helping him find the beat he’s supposed to hit and coaching him into expressing the conviction that would make “Boyz N Tha Hood” N.W.A.’s breakout song. But otherwise it’s pastiche; an encounter with the cops outside a Torrance, Calif., studio leads seamlessly into “F— Tha Police”; a very young Snoop Dogg (the always hugely welcome Keith Stanfield) wanders into a booth where Dre is at work on a beat that will become “Nuthin But a G Thang” and begins rapping a final draft of the lyrics; “California Love” blooms, fully finished, from the speakers while Tupac (Marcc Rose) is at work.

“Love & Mercy” was animated by director Bill Pohlad and writers Oren Moverman and Michael Alan Lerner’s insight that even geniuses have to put in the work to make great art. Watching the sweat equity that Wilson put into “Pet Sounds” illuminated the tension between the Beach Boys themselves and between Wilson and his father (Bill Camp) in a way that none of the discussions about money in “Straight Outta Compton” really serve to do. And while suggesting in “Straight Outta Compton” that every track on the iconic album (and many that followed) arrived in the world fully formed may imply that Dre in particular is a genius, it also makes the whole process of making music seem a little boring.

The way “Straight Outta Compton” treats music has justifiably gotten much less attention than director F. Gary Gray’s decision to exclude an important part of N.W.A.’s story: the role of women as both collaborators and label mates, and as victims of violence. But both choices are animated by a lack of interest in the rough sides of process and personality, and to a certain extent, a lack of trust that the audience will be kept engaged for 2½ hours by anything but hagiography.

“Straight Outta Compton” is comfortable depicting its characters treating women poorly, even violently, as long as the women in question are entirely disposable. Our introduction to Eazy-E involves him viciously cussing a drug dealer’s girlfriend for the simple crime of getting him a 40 at the dealer’s request. Later in the scene, when members of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums squad show up to raid the house with a motorized battering ram, E flees the house, slamming a refrigerator door into the woman with such force that she’s thrown across the room.

After N.W.A. goes on tour to support “Straight Outta Compton,” Ice Cube (played by Ice Cube’s son O’Shea Jackson Jr.) throws Felicia (Asia’h Epperson), a groupie who has been having oral sex with another member of the group, out into a hotel hallway after a man claiming to be her boyfriend shows up toting a gun. To me, it was an ugly scene: I felt such fear for this young woman, thrown out of a hotel suite, nearly naked, at the mercy of whatever violence her boyfriend felt justified in meting out to her. But I’m not sure it’s intended that way. Felicia isn’t a person in “Straight Outta Compton”;she’s an Easter egg for the audience, an origin story for a meme. The film’s sympathies are with the members of N.W.A., with their cleverness in finding a way to sacrifice a woman that will protect them from the consequences of their own profligacy.

And women like Dee Barnes, Michel’le and Tairrie B, all of whom had longer-standing professional and personal relationships with members of N.W.A., and all of whom were allegedly beaten by members of the group, don’t appear anywhere in “Straight Outta Compton.” There’s no question that the movie leaves out their worst acts and that Gray preserves a clear line between their conduct and that of the movie’s villains. For all that Eazy-E looks out for himself first, he lacks Jerry Heller’s avarice and endless self-justification. And for all that Dre craves independence and control, “Straight Outta Compton” suggests that he’s appalled by business partner Suge Knight’s (R. Marcos Taylor) capacity for violence and tendency to implement his business decisions with force.

Part of what’s interesting about “Straight Outta Compton” is that although the characters position themselves as “hard,” the movie often presents them as strikingly emotional, even vulnerable. Gray gets terrific work out of his ensemble in these moments.

One of the most striking sequences in the film comes early, when O’Shea Jackson, soon to be known as Ice Cube, gets stopped by the police while he’s trying to cross the street to return to his own home. As the police curse his parents, Doris (Angela Elayne Gibbs) and Hosea (Bruce Beatty), who is left vainly asserting that the couple have the right to stand on their own front law, O’Shea’s lips twist in rage and shame. Later, Dre gets frisked by another cop, his face turning into a mask of disgust.

While fury in response to racism is an important motivation in “Straight Outta Compton,” and Gray mines it for both artistic inspirations and the characters’ drive to build their own companies, the film’s characters exist on a broader spectrum.

When Dre, who had encouraged his brother to stay in school rather than coming on tour with the group, learns that the boy has died in a fight, Hawkins does a tremendous job of portraying Dre’s struggle for control, even in front of his friends. “That’s my little brother, man,” Dre tells them, struggling not to weep, pounding one fist into his palm, locking his fingers together. “My little baby brother.” At a raucous news conference, Ice Cube, who has been fighting for a fair contract given his role in writing so many of the group’s lyrics, is asked by a black reporter, “What’s a guy from Compton do when he starts to make real money?” There’s a very long pause, and Jackson answers, with barely disguised anger and disappointment at his bandmates, “Buy Raiders gear. And curl activator.”

As the years advance, N.W.A. splits up and these very young men become adults, “Straight Outta Compton” shifts into melancholy. Ice Cube ruefully locks eyes with a cop on patrol while driving through the riots that burned through Los Angeles after Rodney King’s attackers were acquitted. As Eazy-E’s career wanes — he loses his house and returns to drug dealing — and, unbeknownst to him, he begins suffering from HIV symptoms, shame and regret creep into his interactions with his friends and with Heller. A scene where Eazy fires Heller has the melancholy and pain of the breakup of a romantic relationship. And after he falls into a coma, Dre weeps by his bedside and Ice Cube can’t even go into the hospital room. “I need to hear his voice, Dre. I can’t see him laid up like that,” Ice Cube tells his old friend, almost panicked with grief.

I don’t object to humanizing N.W.A. As a matter of art, these scenes bring out great acting. And as a matter of politics, they add dimensions to black men who were flattened by the media for years. But “Straight Outta Compton” participates in that flattening, even if the film works in a different, more flattering direction. It’s an incomplete movie in a way that precludes it from greatness. (A clunky script that mostly serves to highlight the strength of the performances that transcend it also weighs the movie down.)

It’s possible to acknowledge the fact that the same men who were made raw by police brutality and harassment, divided by business deals and their own ambitions, and ultimately separated by disease and death also hurt women. In fact, however much Gray wants to dismiss an attempt to reconcile these elements of his subjects’ lives as political correctness, it’s necessary to do these things; to tear down the pernicious lie that only monsters are criminals; and to reckon with the way that racism, police violence and violence against women and children might exist in the same, dangerously dynamic system. It doesn’t pass responsibility on to the LAPD to acknowledge that people who have been brutalized might pass their damage on to others. And just because “Straight Outta Compton” doesn’t depict members of N.W.A. attacking women doesn’t mean those events didn’t happen or that they’ll be forgotten.
How ‘Straight Outta Compton’ fails its audience

:patrice:

I guess this is the downside of this all. While I do think Dee Barnes and/or Michel'le should have been depicted.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I dont think Dre's issue with women should have been on equal footing with NWA dealing police. Its a subplot that could/should have been added. But not one of the main narratives.