Dee Barnes speaks. "me and the other women Dr. Dre beat up."

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
yeah, its just had no effect on his money making and was largely forgotten about. And then you have black men shytting on Dee Barnes for telling her story of how Dre beat her ass and blaming her.

But yeah, no privilege creh. He was able to live his life with no problems from this while the women he assaulted was blackballed from the industry. No privilege.

Dr. Dre blackballed Dee Barnes from the industry?

We black men are privileged and dont get it. Its the same as white people. (not the same amount of power, which is often what confuses black men)

If you would've dropped the parenthesed part from jump, I would've had no problem with you.

You were talkin' like Black males have the same privilege as White males. If that isn't what you were saying, then fine...

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
None of us know, but do we acknowledge that Dr. Dre is powerful?

Do we see that Dee Barnes had a national hip hop show in the late 80s and early 90s and now has not since that incident?

He may not have directly black balled her, but his influence may have scared people.

Its just like the women who stayed quiet during the Cosby rapings.

If you would've dropped the parenthesed part from jump, I would've had no problem with you.

You were talkin' like Black males have the same privilege as White males. If that isn't what you were saying, then fine...
I wasnt. I said it a couple of times in my posts with you as well.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Dre's :duck: on what happened from The Source 92 cover story
dre11926.jpg

:patrice::jbhmm::martin:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
The scene cut out of SOC.

“Saw that shyt you did with Cube. Really had you under his spell, huh? Ate up everything he said. Let him diss us. Sell us out.”

“I just let him tell his story,” Barnes’ character retorts, “That’s what I do. It’s my job.”

“I thought we were cool, you and me,” Dre fires back. “But you don’t give a fukk. You just wanna laugh at N.W.A, make us all look like fools.”

The conversation escalates, Barnes throws her drink in Dre’s face before he attacks her “flinging her around like a rag-doll, while she screams, cries, begs for him to stop.”
Dr. Dre's Assault on Dee Barnes Was Included in <i>Straight Outta Compton</i> Screenplay Draft

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Dre was scumbaggish with it, especially towards woman, but then again, when you look at everything else that happened on the label, this wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

The whole blackballed thing I'm just not sure about...

Did he assault her, yes. Did he cause permanent damage to her physically? possibly.

but citing not getting a role in Set It Off that ultimately went to a proven actress....eh...

A lot of black people, male and female, lost out on opportunities as the years passed.

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
The scene cut out of SOC.

“Saw that shyt you did with Cube. Really had you under his spell, huh? Ate up everything he said. Let him diss us. Sell us out.”

“I just let him tell his story,” Barnes’ character retorts, “That’s what I do. It’s my job.”

“I thought we were cool, you and me,” Dre fires back. “But you don’t give a fukk. You just wanna laugh at N.W.A, make us all look like fools.”

The conversation escalates, Barnes throws her drink in Dre’s face before he attacks her “flinging her around like a rag-doll, while she screams, cries, begs for him to stop.”
Dr. Dre's Assault on Dee Barnes Was Included in <i>Straight Outta Compton</i> Screenplay Draft

Dre is a known p*ssy though. I wonder why he never went at Cube. :patrice:

Red

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
She has been recompensed for the incident.

By all means mention it if you feel the need but at this stage she's :deadhorse:to me.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Looking at it from a cold hard rational and practical point of view, which is to say absent from all the political and moral highsiding that gets conflated in these discussions, I don't think the dee barnes incident fits in the movie...not THIS movie anyway...like Cube said and Gary Gray alluded to in that clip posted in the thread, there's enough to the NWA story to have made 5 different versions of this movie...the one they did make was already 2 and half hours long, suffered from serious pacing issues especially in its 2nd half, and has no shortage of omissions people wish could have been included...police brutality was chosen to be the overarching social issue that served as the backdrop to the group's rise to fame, with Eazy's untimely death due to AIDS serving kinda loosely as a cautionary tale bout living too fast through it all...i mean it wouldn't have been impossible to include a "but violence against women is wrong y'all" narrative in there on top of all that...they could've thrown in an arc bout Dre dealing with his temper and having a drinking problem that led him to sporadically beating broads asses, then tried to double back towards the end to fit in some corny ass "moment of clarity" scene where he realizes the err in his ways...and then find a way to add in his redemption arc...it just would've done nothing to make the movie better or advance the main story they were trying to tell...this wasn't exactly some hard hitting character study :manny:

But with all that said, dee barnes is well within her rights to talk about the shyt...like others have said, it's one of the defining moments of her life...a defining moment in the NWA story, not so much...it'll provide a good week's worth of discussion among the chattering classes...and i think we can all agree beating up women is bad thing and that Dre was wrong for it

Last edited: