Dee Barnes speaks. "me and the other women Dr. Dre beat up."

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this isnt a historic moment.

its just a fluff-piece for a couple rappers.

and you best-believe when a flick like this gets crazy promotion and high-praise out the gate, theres ulterior motives & f*ckery involved. dont get lost in the hype.

well at least we know where you coming from now. all the moralistic stuff u spewing should be taken with a pinch of salt then.

Last edited:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
F.Gary Gray, being the man behind the lens from that infamous Cube interview:mindblown:

...and why would Dee pay to see and watch Straight Outta Compton:popcorn:, tho:usure:

Them Dualities:francis:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I dont like the fact F. Gary Gray is now viewed as someone who doesnt respect women or represent them well on screen. MC Ren barely got screen time in a 2hr 20 min movie. Hard to complain about other side characters.....although I agree its possible to fit the scene in. It just would have been a tougher job for him making it flow well in the movie.

F. Gary Gray gave us Set It Off. We can criticize Dre for his previous actions. But I'm not going to lump Gray into that crowd. :comeon:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
How ‘Straight Outta Compton’ fails its audience

:patrice:

I guess this is the downside of this all. While I do think Dee Barnes and/or Michel'le should have been depicted.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I dont think Dre's issue with women should have been on equal footing with NWA dealing police. Its a subplot that could/should have been added. But not one of the main narratives.

it didnt have to be the main narrative.

all they had to do was address it. just like all other biopics do.

hell, even notorious implies that biggie beat faith after the pac thing. they didnt even have to show that, cuz thats not something thats known(to my knowledge) - assuming that it happened.

F.Gary Gray being the man behind the lens from the infamous Cube interview:mindblown:

...one thing I don't comprehend is Dee going to pay and watch Straight Outta Compton, tho:usure:

did she pay for it?

or just see a copy or bootleg?

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
How ‘Straight Outta Compton’ fails its audience

:patrice:

I guess this is the downside of this all. While I do think Dee Barnes and/or Michel'le should have been depicted.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I dont think Dre's issue with women should have been on equal footing with NWA dealing police. Its a subplot that could/should have been added. But not one of the main narratives.
When they get into the rift of cube and NWA, they could easily talked about the origins of the event. Like that fukking bytch Dee, how she sell us out like that. I hate that bytch. Something simple as that, since she is crucial to the beef, eventhough shed did nothing wrong.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
it didnt have to be the main narrative.

all they had to do was address it. just like all other biopics do.

hell, even notorious implies that biggie beat faith after the pac thing. they didnt even have to show that, cuz thats not something thats known(to my knowledge) - assuming that it happened.

I agree. Although I think in today's climate (post Ray Rice) it would have had to be shown or it would have been criticized for being downplayed.

My thing is that the article and others coming out wanted to emphasize just how much NWA hated women/beat them up.

Thats a Dre issue.....not a NWA issue in terms of the movie and storytelling. I wanted them to address it, but people are joining in saying that it should have been one of the main themes of the movie.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
F.Gary Gray, being the man behind the lens from that infamous Cube interview:mindblown:

...and why would Dee pay to see and watch Straight Outta Compton:popcorn:, tho:usure:

I do wonder though. Not condoning the assault.

If she was so cool with Dre (according to Dre they dated for a sec).....why didnt she reach out to NWA to let them know what was going on? To let them know it was the producer who set the whole thing up and she had nothing to do with it.

Dre acted like a bytch. But I wonder where was the damage control. There was 2 weeks or so between the vid and the assault (according to Doug Walker) She supposedly called Dre the next day after the assault (according to Dre....so she had his #)

Unless..... Dre was just being an a$$hole and it didnt matter if she reached out to him. Which is possible :martin:

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont like the fact F. Gary Gray is now viewed as someone who doesnt respect women or represent them well on screen. MC Ren barely got screen time in a 2hr 20 min movie. Hard to complain about other side characters.....although I agree its possible to fit the scene in. It just would have been a tougher job for him making it flow well in the movie.

F. Gary Gray gave us Set It Off. We can criticize Dre for his previous actions. But I'm not going to lump Gray into that crowd. :comeon:

that was the worst part about her piece. this is the biggest moment of dudes career, and how many black directors have had this kind of moment? and yet she tryna implicate him in the situation. insidious. dude was a fkin cameraman what it got to do with him?

like you said, keep it at dre, and leave all the other shyt out. but the article went to shyt on the movie as a whole. she played the “ i was there card” which everyone is playing it seems. like nah nah, i’ll give you the real NWA story” im sorry but it comes of a lil thirsty.

and her “i was there” card was basically they needed to show more women doing shyt. like JJFad? are you serious. that was a pure Feminist lament.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I respect women enough to give them the opportunity to shoot the fade..If they take the L so be it.. That's real feminism...Pandering to them and treating them like helpless victims is more harmful and demeaning...

I don't rock with Tariq Nasheed fully, but he is on point with Black people needing to start living by a code....

None of this sh1t should be discussed in front of the enemy during war time....
You serious or trolling bro?

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
and her “i was there” card was basically they needed to show more women doing shyt. like JJFad? are you serious. that was a pure Feminist lament.

without JJ Fad's success, there would probably be no "straight outta compton" album.

they absolutely shouldve been acknowledged.

well at least we know where you coming from now. all the moralistic stuff u spewing should be taken with a pinch of salt then.

i never came in here wave some sort of morals flag.

ITS A FLUFF-PIECE.

hence the reason, why they either left out or made :duck: out of just about everything that made dre or cube look funny.

leaving out dee barnes is where it backfired.

they thought they could get away with all the f*ckery after suge got set up but all the women's rights activists said :usure: "yall forgot about us".

I agree. Although I think in today's climate (post Ray Rice) it would have had to be shown or it would have been criticized for being downplayed.

My thing is that the article and others coming out wanted to emphasize just how much NWA hated women/beat them up.

Thats a Dre issue.....not a NWA issue in terms of the movie and storytelling. I wanted them to address it, but people are joining in saying that it should have been one of the main themes of the movie.

i never heard of anybody say it should be a main theme.

even if they did, im sure it wouldve been a non-issue if they wouldve at least just addressed it.

they couldve easily gotten around it too. they couldve snuck it in quick during the cube vs nwa stuff.

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
so it was originally in the movie script
Dr. Dre's Assault on Dee Barnes Was Included in <i>Straight Outta Compton</i> Screenplay Draft

“Saw that shyt you did with Cube. Really had you under his spell, huh? Ate up everything he said. Let him diss us. Sell us out.”

“I just let him tell his story,” Barnes’ character retorts, “That’s what I do. It’s my job.”

“I thought we were cool, you and me,” Dre fires back. “But you don’t give a fukk. You just wanna laugh at N.W.A, make us all look like fools.”

The conversation escalates, Barnes throws her drink in Dre’s face before he attacks her “flinging her around like a rag-doll, while she screams, cries, begs for him to stop.”
:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:Wow the movie really was always intended to be a Dr Dre dikksucking fest with false narratives and revisionist history from the jump

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
that was the worst part about her piece. this is the biggest moment of dudes career, and how many black directors have had this kind of moment? and yet she tryna implicate him in the situation. insidious. dude was a fkin cameraman what it got to do with him?

like you said, keep it at dre, and leave all the other shyt out. but the article went to shyt on the movie as a whole. she played the “ i was there card” which everyone is playing it seems. like nah nah, i’ll give you the real NWA story” im sorry but it comes of a lil thirsty.

I was speaking on the "Straight Outta Compton failed its audience" article. A lot of people are starting to blame Gray and portray him as someone who doesnt portray or respect women on film (based on the twitter heads)

I dont know much about Dee. If she was feminist for a long time and just providing commentary I have no problem with it. She was there.

With that said I did wonder why the need to point out not being there when they recorded songs talking about bytches and hos......but also talk about how yall were like family. Its like "Yea I knew them really well, but I still want to remind yall I'm feminist, or didnt support that as well"

I didnt like the fact Cube was involved as well. He did nothing wrong to you. Gray was the cameraman, but thats all he was at the time. If Gray was a producer or in front of the camera I would ask why he didnt reach out to NWA to tell them what happened as well.

If you were so concerned about them killing each other over it. How do you not reach out to them when you're the one thats actually connected/cool with them. Gray just got cool with Ice Cube years later.

IDK, the more I read it the more I think something is being left out.

The problem still starts and ends with DRE though. Cause under no reason should he have beat her up. Even if she did set yall up....it wasnt worth that. Make a diss record, dont fukk with her anymore, dont put your hands on her. Plus its all avoided if they just left that scene in the movie. It doesnt give her a platform to speak on what you did or didnt do. You already put it out there.

Gray is thinking pacing, storyline, narrative, etc. But as a producer DRE could have said...naw throw that scene in there to avoid the backlash. But hey, at least we have good discussion come from it. :yeshrug:

48and0

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
is that all you simps can do when somebody speaks the truth? I'm a black man who is not blinded by some fantasy of black unity between genders like your simp ass. You're a simp that wants black p*ssy and will pander to black women to get it. Why don't you look at the facts? every time a black man gets successful or a voice that people want to hear black women are eager to bring him down and often call on white men to help them. It's happening to deray from BLM right now, black women couldn't wait to jump on him and call him a fraud.