Debate: White Supremacy Vs. Self Accountability/Responsibility

Penny 95

Pro
Daps
White supremacy created systemic oppression/ racism/segregation as a way to remain the dominant society. A lot of the issues black people face are a result of being relentlessly oppressed. This feeling of being oppressed creates an atmosphere of desperation, mental illness and hopelessness. Which in turn increases criminal activity and self destructive behavior.

The media which is predominantly owned and operated by white people has created the narrative that all black people are hyper aggressive and violent, which plays into the fears that most white Americans have about black people. They fear that blacks will attack them as revenge for the unfair conditions that they are forced to live in. Blacks and other people of color should not expect to be properly represented in the media because the media's entire business plan is designed to create and produce content that appeals to the ideals and sensibilities of white America-which is predominantly racist.

As individuals we are all responsible and accountable for our own actions. But to say that self accountability and responsibility are the primary solutions to end a system that has been designed to deliberately and brutally annihilate blacks and other people of color is ridiculous and dismissive of the race issues this country refuses to acknowledge. Respectability politics is just another avenue that white America uses to deflect and avoid their role whether it be unknowingly or indirectly in the atrocities of the past and present.

Last edited:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
If you dont know the role segregation laws, redlining, the Homestead Act and White unions played in White prosperity and Black poverty, you won't understand why there's a black ghetto and white suburbs today. Cacs set up laws to disenfranchise black people which created generational poverty which leads to high crime rates then they lock us up washed the dirt off their hands and made us think it was our own fault. I dont play those games...the root of condition is created by the system White supremacy. Theres nothing to debate.

Nobody is debating this tho:dahell:. We know what is the root cause. My point is how are we expecting to overcome it? Who's responsibility is it to shatter the system? Are we waiting on the people who created it to sympathize with us and see the errors in their ways or is it up to US to unite, practice group economics, support each other and create our own?

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
why is there less of this violence outside of impoverished communities? why are these communities impoverished? what mechanisms led to such a poor community that fosters violence and brutality?

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
But to say that self accountability and responsibility are the primary solutions to end a system that has been designed to deliberately and brutally annihilate blacks and other people of color is ridiculous and dismissive of the race issues this country refuses to acknowledge.

So basicly for "change" to happen, the white people who benefit from the system would have to have a change of heart and take their feet off our neck. Its on THEM, and not us to force change. gotcha.

And this isn't about "victim blaming" or respectability politics. Im simply wondering who's responsibility do we think it is in order for progression to happen.Are we really holding our breath for THEM to change?

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
why is there less of this violence outside of impoverished communities? why are these communities impoverished? what mechanisms led to such a poor community that fosters violence and brutality?

Systemic oppression is the answer:mindblown:

Nobody is denying this:mindblown:

The question is are we waiting on our enemy to change these things or is it up to US to force change?

A Real Human Bean

and a real hero
Daps
but to let every knucklehead off the hook with it is dangerous in my opinion.

I've never heard any black person (on this website or outside of it) suggest that "we should let every knucklehead off the hook" because of the existence of white supremacy. Arguing against straw men is no way to begin a serious discussion.

Despite what you think you've learned about Black people, we don't like crime and criminals. But while living under poor conditions many of us have come to gain a nuanced understanding of the factors that create crime and how we might deal with them; these views are very different from the crude suggestions I've heard from people on this website who think it would be a great idea for "good" black people to pick up guns and carry out the mass murder of "bad" black people, as some form of vigilante justice.

Of course, understanding that we have the power to change our situation is of utmost importance, and I don't think any black people actually interested in the issues would deny this.

The major split in opinion typically comes from one party asserting the ridiculous notion that a lack of personal responsibility and accountability is the cause of the social ills in our community, and that with a healthy dose of personal responsibility we can reverse centuries of lack of opportunity and poor social conditions.

This theory completely ignores the long series of events that led to our present state and the current conditions that continue to affect it-- which is exactly what those white supremacists who came up with this propaganda intended. You do a huge favor to the powerful in this country when you ignore their actions and just tell black people to pick their pants up and turn off that damn rap music; it's our job as citizens to challenge systems of power, not strengthen them.

But I do believe change starts with ourselves, and I don't just mean black people, I mean working class people all over. And you are right to point out that waiting around for a savior is wrong and a recipe for disaster.

So, rather than vague notions of personal responsibility, black people need political activity. We need become informed on the issues affecting us, spread this knowledge to our brothers and sisters, and form educated, politically active communities that can take action.

Institutions that have functioned in the past as conduits for working class political organization have been severely weakened. This has had a obvious negative effect on the collective consciousness (of the working class at least; elites are as class conscious as ever). But in recent years there has been a hopeful resurgence of working class activism and I hope it continues to grow.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Systemic oppression is the answer:mindblown:

Nobody is denying this:mindblown:

The question is are we waiting on our enemy to change these things or is it up to US to force change?
Having a system to blame for our problems has taken self accountability from blacks. It's not about the blame game anymore. It's about what you want to do. It's about who you want to be. Like I said, the BC will be fixed when black people want the BC to be fixed. Till then' just try not to be a part of the chaos.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Having a system to blame for our problems has taken self accountability from blacks. It's not about the blame game anymore. It's about what you want to do. It's about who you want to be. Like I said, the BC will be fixed when black people want the BC to be fixed. Till then' just try not to be a part of the chaos.

This is a very good post

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
This is a very good post

People are more focused on the system than they are the people it's effects. There are people who really think that white people are going to wake up and decide not to win anymore. Isn't happening. Won't ever happen. It's been working for them. Why would they stop? Because it's mean? It's not about stopping white supremacy. It's about teaching black people not to be inferior. The inferiority complex that we have is just as bad as the superiority complex that they have.

I'm done talking about white supremacy. Just focus on blacks. No one is going to choose to lose. It ain't happening.

Last edited: