Death Stranding | PS4/PS5/PC | Out Now

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Only Guerilla Games game I've played seriously is Killzone 2 and that game was dope. If I could compare it to a game it would have to be Halo due to the excellent vehicular combat but I never played its multiplayer. From the experience of beating that game and observing the many Horizon: Zero Dawn videos that are out there, I'd say Hideo Kojima picked the best engine for his new game.

I saw that Mark Cerny is a technical producer for this game. This guy is the lead architect and producer of the Playstation 4 console. He's also had experience with Guerilla Games engine as a design consultant for Killzone 3. He will help Kojima unlock the potential of both the PS4 (since he created it) and the decima engine. This cuts down production time in half.

A long development time is normal for most Hideo Kojima productions because he had a separate team just for figuring out what all they could do and get away with. That's why they spent so much time developing the Fox engine. For this game they not only have help, they are also sending that separate team over to Guerilla games as a satellite studio while they learn from them creating Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Sony is not fukking around. They really want Kojima's game out faster than he usually does and I think that was part of the deal Kojima struck with them. I wish Tomonubu Itagaki had done something similar with a major publisher instead of coming up with Devil's Third.

As an open world action game, Hideo Kojima is in good hands with Mark Cerny. Besides Killzone he's worked on some great open world action games like Resistance and Jak and Daxter so we're good on that front. What I'm really curious about is this co-op shyt with strands. Hmm.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Kojima Shares Mads Mikkelsen’s Pics From Death Stranding’s 3D Scanning; Surprised by How Good He Looks

Legendary Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima isn’t done sharing interesting information and assets about his upcoming game Death Stranding, and today he revealed a few pictures from the 3D Scanning stage.

The pictures portray newly revealed antagonist Mads Mikkelsen, known for many performances including recent films like Doctor Strange and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Apparently, even Kojima-san himself, who directly casted Mikkelsen, was surprised by how good he looks in military gear.

1/2
I took these when we did 3D scanning in UK. I wasn’t sure how it’d turn out as I hadn’t seen him in modern battle dress pic.twitter.com/VlNl3pCWtO

— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) December 4, 2016

2/2
but he looked so good that even I (who was the one did the casting) was surprised. He signed his autograph on the suit. pic.twitter.com/25S0d6mhaU

During a panel earlier today, Kojima shared a few pieces of information about the cast of the game. Norman Reedus plays the main character, while Mads Mikkelsen will be the antagonist. Both will fully play their roles via performance capture and 3D scanning.

Guillermo del Toro, on the other hand, was 3D Scanned (face, body, expressions) in different outfits, but someone else will be doing the performance capture in his stead. That’s because Del Toro is too busy working on his own movies to fully take part on the production of the game.

Kojima-san also teased the appearance of female characters, but he is not ready to announce anything specific about them just yet.

In case you missed it, Kojima-san also shared a brand new version of the game’s latest trailer, featuring music by Low Roar. We also learned that the game will use Guerrilla Games’ engine Decima, and saw some pictures featuring in-engine assets.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Kojima Shares Mads Mikkelsen’s Pics From Death Stranding’s 3D Scanning; Surprised by How Good He Looks

Legendary Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima isn’t done sharing interesting information and assets about his upcoming game Death Stranding, and today he revealed a few pictures from the 3D Scanning stage.

The pictures portray newly revealed antagonist Mads Mikkelsen, known for many performances including recent films like Doctor Strange and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Apparently, even Kojima-san himself, who directly casted Mikkelsen, was surprised by how good he looks in military gear.

1/2
I took these when we did 3D scanning in UK. I wasn’t sure how it’d turn out as I hadn’t seen him in modern battle dress pic.twitter.com/VlNl3pCWtO

2/2
but he looked so good that even I (who was the one did the casting) was surprised. He signed his autograph on the suit. pic.twitter.com/25S0d6mhaU

During a panel earlier today, Kojima shared a few pieces of information about the cast of the game. Norman Reedus plays the main character, while Mads Mikkelsen will be the antagonist. Both will fully play their roles via performance capture and 3D scanning.

Guillermo del Toro, on the other hand, was 3D Scanned (face, body, expressions) in different outfits, but someone else will be doing the performance capture in his stead. That’s because Del Toro is too busy working on his own movies to fully take part on the production of the game.

Kojima-san also teased the appearance of female characters, but he is not ready to announce anything specific about them just yet.

In case you missed it, Kojima-san also shared a brand new version of the game’s latest trailer, featuring music by Low Roar. We also learned that the game will use Guerrilla Games’ engine Decima, and saw some pictures featuring in-engine assets.

That guy is straight creeper status

Daps
KuL5nil.gif

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

Kojima: Death Stranding Will Grant Players Lots of Freedom; Gives Update on Development
Hideo Kojima gives an update on the current development stage of his upcoming PS4 game Death Stranding.

During a stage event from RTX Sydney, Death Stranding Director Hideo Kojima talked about the current development situation of the game.

First of all, Kojima-san mentioned that he would like fans to examine the trailers carefully, as they include many hints on what the game is all about.

Kojima-san’s intention is to give fans a lot of hints about the game. The main theme is “connections.” technology has advanced a lot in the 31 years he has been in the industry, but game mechanics have not changed much. Player characters still hold a weapon or a stick, in order to push back enemies. With the introduction of online, this has evolved into to players using weapons to push back against each other, or to team up against a stronger enemy.

Kojima-san likes that kind of gameplay, but he wants to introduce connections that will result in a new kind of gameplay. Mankind’s first invention was a stick to fight. Its second invention was the rope, to bring people in and connect them. So Death Stranding is about the “Strand” that can connect people, as shown in the trailers.

Kojima-san added that the game is an open world game with a large degree of freedom in which you can do almost whatever you want. Kojima feels that gamers that are used to playing AAA games on high-end platforms will feel at home in this kind of game, but after playing for two or three hours. they’ll notice that there’s something a little different about it.

He also clarified that it’s not a game about using ropes to tie people up and that you can still use guns and sticks to fight back.

Kojima-san also mentioned that it takes a lot of time in creating a game, so the teasers are also intended to gauge reactions from the fans. For Kojima Productions it’s important to create a connection with the audience.

While they don’t necessarily incorporate all the feedback, they certainly listen to what fans say. Kojima-san is very happy about the reaction to the trailers, and about the fact that people are speculating. There are pieces of the puzzle hidden in the trailers, but people did not manage to put them together yet. Kojima-san is actually a bit scared by the fact that someone might actually put those puzzle pieces together sooner or later.

Using early teasers to gauge the reaction of the audience is something Kojima-san likes to do, and it pushes him forward.

We also learn that the two trailers for the game have been created by the same staff that creates the game, and not outsourced, so in that sense they’re “showing the game.”

The team has been running tests using Decima Engine by Guerrilla Games last year, and while it’s a really fantastic engine, they need to create something different from Guerrilla’s Horizon: Zero Dawn. That required a lot of time experimenting on creating a photorealistic look with that same engine.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is a very colorful and artistic game, while Death Stranding looks very different, so a lot of the tools under the hood of the engine had to be adapted and changed.

When this changes are made, they are sent to Guerrilla, which improves them, and then send them back again. There are basically two different companies improving the engine at twice the speed.

The game is currently “moving” on the Decima Engine. It’s open world, you can see very far in the distance, and the team is working on the game logic as well. They’re doing tests on the game systems, and the general framework has been created, so the current year will be all about creating the game around that framework.

Incidentally, later in the interview Kojima-san explained that the plot of the game was already decided when he contacted Norman Reedus for the part of the protagonist.

People have this idea of Kojima-san that he is a perfectionist so the game will keep getting delayed, but according to him, that’s not true. He is the producer, the director and the game designer. On top of designing the game, he has to consider carefully the schedule and cash flows, so most of his games are actually on schedule.

The schedule is positive pressure for Kojima-san. The team already knows what the release schedule is, and when the end goal is. Going to various events like E3 and releasing trailers keeps the pressure on, giving the team the signal that they can’t run away from the schedule they set, and they need to work hard to meet it.

That said, asked directly on whether Death Stranding might become a PS5 game, Kojima-san denied that possibility: it will be released on PS4.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Ps5 launch title
The schedule is positive pressure for Kojima-san. The team already knows what the release schedule is, and when the end goal is. Going to various events like E3 and releasing trailers keeps the pressure on, giving the team the signal that they can’t run away from the schedule they set, and they need to work hard to meet it.

That said, asked directly on whether Death Stranding might become a PS5 game, Kojima-san denied that possibility: it will be released on PS4.

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
They need to dead talking about a game that's at least 3 years out, the idea of that this won't be on PS5 (I'm assuming that'll be dropping next year) is silly.

Also , this is slightly concerning
People have this idea of Kojima-san that he is a perfectionist so the game will keep getting delayed, but according to him, that’s not true. He is the producer, the director and the game designer. On top of designing the game, he has to consider carefully the schedule and cash flows, so most of his games are actually on schedule.{/quote]
That's a lot for one dude especially one that has a poor track with such things

Last edited: