Deadline: Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
69537159_2388015258102415_7085060141191528448_n.jpg

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
What if:

- Kevin Feige is as smart as most people thinks he is and has a contingency plan for what to do with Spider-man just in case Sony decided to pull him.
- Tom Holland, who has the OPTION to do another Spider-man film, opts out of Spider-man 3
- Marvel signs him to do a Disney + Spider-man show instead.

In 2009, Sony relinquished ALL TV rights to Spider-man. There has been some debate about whether the TV rights are confined to animation. Even if that WAS the case, they are already launching a kid-centric Spider-man on Disney Jr. You can expect we'll at least get a Spider-man "What If" episode if not some sort of continuation of the current plot line left over from FFH.

Nothing I'm finding about the rights indicate that Marvel can't do a live action TV show based on the character. When Marvel sold the film rights to X-Men, they retained the TV rights as well, I'm assuming with the same set up.

In 2000, Marvel went to put out a Mutant X TV show based around Havoc and Fox took legal action to try and stop them from doing it because they said that the plot line and marketing implied that it was connected to their movie, creating false association.

Nobody in their right mind could argue that the MCU's iteration of Spider-man is a 'knock off' of the Venom-verse or even any of the previous Spider-man films, he is a unique character, as is "MJ", Ned and their version of May. Now that Marvel has a TV studio, what's from stopping them from moving him to Disney + til Sony either plays ball or loses the rights in a buy out sooner or later (probably sooner).

Disney opening a TV studio means they can circumvent the bullshyt in regards to characters like Hulk/She-Hulk belonging to Universal.

Last edited:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
^^ that’s wishful thinking :russ:

But Na they ain’t gonna do all that :pachaha:

Now let me end this here before I casually with no agenda say something that’s gonna trigger @23barretcity

Something that mind you if ANYONE ELSE SAYS it’s no problem, or when StillFlow goes off it’s never an issue, but the moment I say the most simplest innocent shyt it’s an issue that must be questioned :mjlol:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Now let me end this here before I casually with no agenda say something that’s gonna trigger @23barretcity

Something that mind you if ANYONE ELSE SAYS it’s no problem, or when StillFlow goes off it’s never an issue, but the moment I say the most simplest innocent shyt it’s an issue that must be questioned :mjlol:
Just say it .if it’s not stanning

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
What if:

- Kevin Feige is as smart as most people thinks he is and has a contingency plan for what to do with Spider-man just in case Sony decided to pull him.
- Tom Holland, who has the OPTION to do another Spider-man film, opts out of Spider-man 3
- Marvel signs him to do a Disney + Spider-man show instead.

In 2009, Sony relinquished ALL TV rights to Spider-man. There has been some debate about whether the TV rights are confined to animation. Even if that WAS the case, they are already launching a kid-centric Spider-man on Disney Jr. You can expect we'll at least get a Spider-man "What If" episode if not some sort of continuation of the current plot line left over from FFH.

Nothing I'm finding about the rights indicate that Marvel can't do a live action TV show based on the character. When Marvel sold the film rights to X-Men, they retained the TV rights as well, I'm assuming with the same set up.

In 2000, Marvel went to put out a Mutant X TV show based around Havoc and Fox took legal action to try and stop them from doing it because they said that the plot line and marketing implied that it was connected to their movie, creating false association.

Nobody in their right mind could argue that the MCU's iteration of Spider-man is a 'knock off' of the Venom-verse or even any of the previous Spider-man films, he is a unique character, as is "MJ", Ned and their version of May. Now that Marvel has a TV studio, what's from stopping them from moving him to Disney + til Sony either plays ball or loses the rights in a buy out sooner or later (probably sooner).

Disney opening a TV studio means they can circumvent the bullshyt in regards to characters like Hulk/She-Hulk belonging to Universal.
AFAIK Sony owns the FILM rights to Spider-Man, and that's it.

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.

I understand the disdain for Disney in general, fukk them.

But Sony tried to pull a fast one and if they had their way would have associated that trash ass movie with the MCU and subsequent films with no quality control or oversight, how fukking dumb would that have been.

Last edited:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

But Sony tried to pull a fast one and if they had their way would have associated that trash ass movie with the MCU and subsequent films with no quality control or oversight, how fukking dumb would that have been.

Why are you acting as If Sony only made trash Spider-Man movies :stopitslime: and venom was a hit and successful movie .
Also mcu was using Sony’s property Sony should have the right to use Spider-Man however they want .

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Nah man, Disney cant be mad at a move like this but wanna negotiate to include whatever spider-man related characters in their movies had that deal actually went through.

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.

What's the alternative? Pretend Spider-man doesn't exist? let Sony take him at the height of his popularity and shoehorn him into shytty movies that people will think are associated with Marvel proper?

I HIGHLY doubt FFH ended the way it did with the intentions to leave it as is, they're not that dumb to paint themselves into a corner like that knowing how desperate Sony is. You can say they made it hard for Sony to take the reins with how much the character is tied to the MCU as an insurance policy, but that obviously didn't guarantee they would play ball.

If what they do next basically amounts to going :hubie: I would be very surprised.

Like I said before, there is precedent set for this, past and present. With the Mutant X show and now with the Universal owned Hulk properties that kept them from making a stand alone movie in the MCU becoming Disney + shows, I would think they could at the very least wrap up the story with something animated.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
What's the alternative? Pretend Spider-man doesn't exist? let Sony take him at the height of his popularity and shoehorn him into shytty movies that people will think are associated with Marvel proper?

I HIGHLY doubt FFH ended the way it did with the intentions to leave it as is, they're not that dumb to paint themselves into a corner like that knowing how desperate Sony is. You can say they made it hard for Sony to take the reins with how much the character is tied to the MCU as an insurance policy, but that obviously didn't guarantee they would play ball.

If what they do next basically amounts to going :hubie: I would be very surprised.

Like I said before, there is precedent set for this, past and present. With the Mutant X show and now with the Universal owned Hulk properties that kept them from making a stand alone movie in the MCU becoming Disney + shows, I would think they could at the very least wrap up the story with something animated.
That's what they did for almost a decade beforehand, so
viUUbq.png

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

What are you talking about ?? Spider-Man always has been successful with Sony . The only Spider-Man movie to win a Oscar is from Sony . And all his movies including venom made money . Sony will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.