Days Gone creator claims game sold around 10 mil and Sony still passed on sequel *UPDATE* False

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Yep, sony doesn’t care about software sales (as much), they care about prestige and bringing people to the platform through word of mouth quality. Thats why they consider Returnal a success.

It’s the reason why people complain about Ubisoft or pokemon games, because they are terrible in quality and still sell like crazy so the companies keep shoving them out every year because its easy.

Sony management is good for having faith in the studio enough to greenlight a new IP by them and killing off an uninteresting one unlike other publishers that would just continue milking it.

We all know sony doesnt make the bulk of their revenue from first party games they make them from third party games and in-game MTX. The 1st party is meant to get people into the eco system. That doesn’t work if the games are bombs

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Jeff Grubb is an idiot. The more meaningful variable is in the differences in production costs. It sold 8m+ at what price off the back of what budget? Days Gone was also delayed multiple times. And had development issues.

Days Gone Director on Skipped Sequel: 'If You Love a Game, Buy It at F***ing Full Price'

Garvin left developer Sony Bend around two years ago, so he's free to speak his mind on Jaffe's show.

And it hasn't taken long for Garvin's impassioned comments to do the rounds online. "I do have an opinion on something that your audience may find of interest, and it might piss some of them off," Garvin admits, as transcribed by VGC. "If you love a game, buy it at f***ing full price. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen gamers say ‘yeah, I got that on sale, I got it through PS Plus, whatever.’"

Garvin's argument is that by buying a game at full price, you're showing direct support for the developer — you're doing your part to maximise profit. And in the case of Days Gone, Garvin's suggesting that if more people grabbed the game at launch, Sony may have been more open to a potential sequel.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
I'm playing Days Gone rn and I'm liking it :manny:
I put on a podcast while I'm playing, and occasionally turn down my podcast to pay attn to the cutscenes. :ehh:
The gameplay loop while repetitive is enjoyable to me, it's very similar to HZD(I know same engine) and I like clearing out camps. :hubie:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm playing Days Gone rn and I'm liking it :manny:
I put on a podcast while I'm playing, and occasionally turn down my podcast to pay attn to the cutscenes. :ehh:
The gameplay loop while repetitive is enjoyable to me, it's very similar to HZD(I know same engine) and I like clearing out camps. :hubie:

Days Gone is Unreal Engine 4. Horizon is Decima their proprietary engine. Death Stranding uses the latter

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Throw that zombie horde tech into Factions. Hopefully their new IP has its own lane

Nah, I think the infected in The Last of Us are way better. Faster and harder to kill. Runners, Clickers, Stalkers, Bloaters, and the rat king.

Factions BR would work damn good with infected though. Add in more and more Infected with Sporesas the map gets smaller and you got the best BR game hands down.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Yep, sony doesn’t care about software sales (as much), they care about prestige and bringing people to the platform through word of mouth quality. Thats why they consider Returnal a success.

It’s the reason why people complain about Ubisoft or pokemon games, because they are terrible in quality and still sell like crazy so the companies keep shoving them out every year because its easy.

Sony management is good for having faith in the studio enough to greenlight a new IP by them and killing off an uninteresting one unlike other publishers that would just continue milking it.

We all know sony doesnt make the bulk of their revenue from first party games they make them from third party games and in-game MTX. The 1st party is meant to get people into the eco system. That doesn’t work if the games are bombs

Yeah Sony is about quality. That's why they never failed me and I know anything by them wl be high quality.

The God of War developers had to pitch their idea too.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reviews weren't that bad that Sony should have made them feel like a disappointment :picard:, especially with the sale numbers. Seemed like a solid B game, if not up to the upper level of most Sony releases.

I just hope those rumors about Sony wanting to put them on a TLOU remake weren't true, instead of doing a new IP.