David Fincher's MINDHUNTER - Netflix Series

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I love two things about this show.. No wasted scenes at all. Everything in the characters personal lives mirrors the cases and the behavior mirrors a fine line of the killers behavior. Incredible attention to detail.

The other is how it shows the red tape and bureaucracy and how politics are intertwined into every single decision that is made. Maybe it's because I am so familiar on a personal level with this shyt but it's so true to real life. It makes everything so complicated and difficult.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Just finished yesterday, remains one of my favorite shows, especially considering how much I like and know the source material (all the John Douglas books), the Fincher touch, as well as the other directors goes a long way to elevate some fairly standard genre cliches, (the broken family, the strained relationships, the troubled genius taking valium in his bathroom).

The scenes in Atlanta, the montage of the surveillance was classic Fincher, it really illustrated the tedium, and commitment of that kind of operation. Waking up at 4:00 PM and staying up until morning, catching a few hours in a hotel, and going back to it. All the subtle humor nods, Holden's insistence on hanging his tie straight, and his quasi partner's look was great. That all really happened that way too, from Mindhunter. The detail was set to end that morning, and someone heard the splash, and they had Williams.

That line too, was straight from the book, although said by Tench, and not the DA as in real life, they put Williams on the stand, and got him to break, by saying "Did you panic when your hands were around that childs throat Wayne"? And the jury saw the "other" side of Wayne Williams. I loved the relationship stuff, the complexity of navigating a gay romance with the politics of the bureau, the politics of society, and that last line, so icily delivered "You're a bartender, who takes relationship advice from bus stop magazines".

The subplot with the son was maybe too much for me, past the first few episodes, a little too on the nose for this show. I liked the Ted Gunn character a lot, and his contrast of oily bureau man to back slapper, to FBI agent was nicely crafted by the actor. The overt sexism, and scene where he loosens her buttons, before introducing her to some known creep was well done. The music choices were well placed and everything about the show just works for me, I hope to see a third season. Not to mention the queasy scenes with Dennis Rader, asphixating himself, and going through his rituals, was just almost too grotesque, esp. the intro and final scene.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That line too, was straight from the book, although said by Tench, and not the DA as in real life, they put Williams on the stand, and got him to break, by saying "Did you panic when your hands were around that childs throat Wayne"? And the jury saw the "other" side of Wayne Williams.
:ohhh:

Article from 1991. Douglas is who the Holden character is.

Baltimore Sun - We are currently unavailable in your region

During the trial, Mr. Douglas coached the prosecutor, Assistant District Attorney Jack Mallard, guiding him through his cross-examination of the composed Williams.

"The jurors were looking at someone who looked on the order of John F. Kennedy," says Mr. Douglas, "a real toothy smile, good-looking guy who played his jury like playing an audience."

At Mr. Douglas' instruction, Mr. Mallard kept Williams on the stand at length, trying to rattle him with detailed questions. Finally, in a lowered voice, he asked the defendant, "Did you panic, Wayne? Did you panic when you wrapped your hands around your victim's throat?"

Williams weakly answered no, recalls Mr. Douglas, and then exploded, cursed and swore, and the jury saw a different man.

CouldBeWorse

Superstar
Daps
Great season. It's amazing how they find such good actors that resemble the serial killers so much. I liked the Tench family and relationship stuff as well. Unless I missed something, the panic attack stuff didn't really go anywhere with Holden?

Those fukking BTK scenes tho.....chills. That ending scene :damn:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Not to mention the queasy scenes with Dennis Rader, asphixating himself, and going through his rituals, was just almost too grotesque, esp. the intro and final scene.

That shyt is so fukkin disgusting but I'm glad they show it... It makes the show even better showing the everyday life POV with someone as fukked up as them. :wow:

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
"Is this about those boys"

That line from Wayne Williams always makes me think he did a majority of the murders. It tells you that he was watching the case closely because it was the first thing on his mind. That might explain how the killer(s) seemed to be making adjustments as the media leaked more details about the investigation.

Whether he did all of them is hard to say. DNA wasn't being used in 1980 and it's hard to believe he racked up a body count in the high 20s in such a short time.

Really liked this season and the way they use some of the killers' interviews to inform motives in open cases.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
Season 3 should have Green River Killer next. He was on a spree during the 80s and 90s. Too large to ignore.

Ted Bundy should also make an appearance for season 3. He was interviewed to help catch the Green River Killer. Which falls into this show perfectly.

Found out some of the bodies from Bundy were found a couple miles from my house. Creeps me out.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Wayne definitely did some, but some other pedos did some too. That brown house they were talking about. SMH at Atlanta not trying harder to solve dem shyts.

It was an election year and they just built the big ass airport, they was shook of ATL looking bad. Terrible for the families. This show did a great job showing the politics around the situation.

I think Wayne was part of a pedo ring and I think people in the APD were in said pedo ring. They had (and probably still do) people in the klan too.