Dave Chappelle: Equanimity + The Bird Revelation Netflix Stand-Up Thread

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No shade to Kevin Hart but that's why his kind of comedy is so popular. Most people don't want those harsh truths. They want silly stories and goofiness.

Dave is now up there with how I'd listen to Paul Mooney or George Carlin. Hard real life funny thoughts wrapped around keen observations and truths.

You could really hear a pin drop during the second special when he was saying a lot of stuff. Don't think their is an active comedian this gen who does it as good as this. Just brutal truth one after the other.

Kevin Hart been on his Cosby shyt for reals... I don't mean his comedy is clean, but I mean it is SAFE. His comedy is intentionally unoffensive and doesn't push buttons. Dave Chappelle is the closest we get to Richard Pryor in his prime.

dreskii

Pro
Daps
watched both twice.

Enjoyed equanimity more upon first viewings. But the second time i watched bird revelation .. my mind was again blown and i can't stop thinking about it. shyt sticks with you.

I know there's a bunch of breakdowns and takes re: iceberg slim analogy.

I won't go into the main meat of the iceberg slim bit (the one last trick story) but the beat her ass with a coat hanger and run her a bath shyt gave me SHIVERS the second time i heard it cos it hit me.

My interpretation is that dave was comparing traditionally persecuted americans e.g blacks/minorities and even dave himself (the prostitute) have seen progress; the obama years, abolishment of slavery, successful black people (which is the running of a bath and pills in the analogy) and society possibly including himself has forgotten that they have been pimped and are still a slave to the game.

shyt is crazy.

he is the goat.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The analogy that Dave Chappelle was using he wasn't just referring to himself and Comedy Central, but also towards the white power structure and the pawns as a whole, which is why he stated at the end (and especially to the women) that they now have a secret.

Iceberg Slim was very intentional in his books using that pimp lifestyle as an analogy towards the outlook of American society in general. Here's a clip from Trick Baby that showcased the truth about our political parties.

heart

Down By Law
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Type Dave Chapelle's name into Google right now then try to tell me that "fake news" isn't a real thing.
Yep, its the epitome of fake news and "outrage"...

Even in that special when he was talking getting 25,000 and going into Brooklyn and equating to woman have a puzzy and being scared and harassed it made perfect sense. I don't even think Chris Rock could get away with the material in Bird Revelation, again that's Pryor/Mooney territory.

I see a few posters mentioned Hart. His first couple of specials were ok but he's basically Cosby who curses. I was never a huge fan of his material but Hollywood goes through the fad of every other year you gotta have that "hot" black comedian and I think Hart time is running out. Only so long you can joke about your kids and your height.

Chappelle can get away with it because he doesn't subscribe to Hollywood anymore and the Netflix checks have cleared and dude cemented his legacy with those 4 specials along with the def jam 25th anniversary special. Nobody can catch up to him now.

I do think Michael Che is very underrated, I enjoyed his first special, I also think guys like DL and Eddie Griffin are great and never got the props they deserve...