Dave Chappelle: Equanimity + The Bird Revelation Netflix Stand-Up Thread

Daps
I interpreted the secret more as Dave was the prostitute. I'm not sure what to think. A lot to chew on.

Personally, I thought the first show was fire! Hilarious riffs on Trump and such. Funny throughout. The second show was good. It wasn't all that funny, but Dave was trying to just be more off the cuff in sharing his thoughts. I appreciated his Kaepernick take. Overall, worth the price of Netflix.

I got it as Dave is the prostitute as well.
Dave was reaching his "mileage" as in he was stressed out and couldn' take the pressures of making such an iconic show.
The producers tried to push for him to do one more season or "trick" and lured him in by telling him if he does the last season he'l get all the money he earned. Dave earned them 500 million dollars and was tearing his own sanity apart just to make 10 percent of that.

The part in the story where Dave and the prostitute differ is the dead body.

The dead body is Daves career.

comedy central told him if he didnt come back then his career is gone, and they truly made it seem that way by making him look like a crazy crackhead.

But however just like the body in the story, it was all an illusion and his career was still alive and well.

But Dave had enough. he wasn' going to fall into this pimps ploy and pretend he needed them to be successful.

Daps
If anyone hates on that, but loves George Carlin content, I KNOW they're full of shyt.

Dave is ELITE level right now.

Good god. :wow:
his storytelling is deeper and more intricate than ever before.

Dave focuses more on leaving people with wisdom than laughs nowadays.

I don' personally think it was funnier than his early shyt like Killin Em softly

however I think it' more meaningful and powerful.

It's better for Dave to add that layer to his legacy.

one thing that I believe that may prove unpopular here. after the bird revelation, I believe it's time to leave the show behind. I understand it' obvious as hell to see Dave is mentally scarred from the whole ordeal. But I think it's time he finally moved on. he's said about as much as you can say about the situation without being redundant

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
shyt makes you wanna go back and watch that Show Bizness episode from the Lost Shows.
:meloohhh:

Last edited:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I interpreted the secret more as Dave was the prostitute. I'm not sure what to think. A lot to chew on.

Personally, I thought the first show was fire! Hilarious riffs on Trump and such. Funny throughout. The second show was good. It wasn't all that funny, but Dave was trying to just be more off the cuff in sharing his thoughts. I appreciated his Kaepernick take. Overall, worth the price of Netflix.
when he said he wanted to start a "Go-Fund Me" for Kaep...
that room was quieter than a muthafukka!
:deadmanny:

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got it as Dave is the prostitute as well.
Dave was reaching his "mileage" as in he was stressed out and couldn' take the pressures of making such an iconic show.
The producers tried to push for him to do one more season or "trick" and lured him in by telling him if he does the last season he'l get all the money he earned. Dave earned them 500 million dollars and was tearing his own sanity apart just to make 10 percent of that.

The part in the story where Dave and the prostitute differ is the dead body.

The dead body is Daves career.

comedy central told him if he didnt come back then his career is gone, and they truly made it seem that way by making him look like a crazy crackhead.

But however just like the body in the story, it was all an illusion and his career was still alive and well.

But Dave had enough. he wasn' going to fall into this pimps ploy and pretend he needed them to be successful.
I felt like the pimp analogy was more straightforward. Basically he was saying he was the bottom bytch and he was at his end, he was saying he wanted to do other things and leave the show, because his soul was empty and he wanted out. He was out of mileage.

They tried to get him to do one last season and offered him a big pay check (from money they made off him) and made it sound like an easy gig. he initially went with it (he filmed some skits for it) but shyt didn't feel right, and when he told them they brought in other people who acted like they were helping his situation but really everyone was in on it to keep him trapped in the business. Perhaps even they tried to set him up and blackmail him into staying on. They tried to make out like he was fukked if he tried to leave. He peeped the game they were trying to run and he took off to South Africa.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dave is brilliant!! Im glad he finally did that Ice berg slim bit for a special. I saw him live no shyt maybe about 7 years ago do that same bit. Its more polished in the special though but people understand more so now than before. He hinted at a lot of issues that not only society faces but specifically Black America faces. There were jokes inside of jokes. Im big on stand up comedy and this guy is genius.

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
Bird Revelation has some of the DEEPEST jewels I’ve ever heard in any medium, let alone a stand up special :wow:

The only comedian willing to get that deep is Paul Mooney, and what sets him apart from Chappelle is that Mooney comes across as angry in a way that Is straight etherous and dismissive to white People (nothing wrong with that) while Chappelle has perfected the art of making his observations on race SEEM more inclusive.

The Iceberg Slim analogy has so many layers we’ll be breaking that one down for years...

Matter fact I’m willing to say that Bird Revelation might be the deepest special since Paul Mooney’s own Race
with paul, white folks get so steamed and walk right the fukk out the club. on some :pacspit:

essentially dave is saying the same thing as paul

but dave says it in an iron fist in a velvet glove kinda way. they sit uncomfortable as fukk with the truth hitting them, but they cant deny the funny like...
.......:skip:
.....:bryan:
......:leostare:

dave is that slow cookin ether.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
“Kick her in the pu**y”

Equanimity was definitely better than the first two.

Anyone notice how the audience kept changing? Did they film this in a 3 day span and take the best from each concert?

Edit- just watched part 2. It wasn’t the funniest, but it was my favorite. I love the small intimate setting. The iceberg slim story was so deep, definitely shows you a part of the industry that many don’t openly discuss. He definitely portrayed himself as the “down bottom bytch”. I think this might be the last of dave for quite sometime.
He did 2 a days here in DC for about 2 weeks back in September at that theater. He did 2 shows every night.