Darren Aronofsky's Mother! (Trailer) starring Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem

Daps
I'm torn on this. I think after seeing the entire film, it fits. It's a part of the metaphor, right? That the house is this living thing that is very much connected to her. And when the actions of her husband begin to slowly kill her, the house begins to die as well. It's even more powerful when we see how the house gets reborn after she dies. I think the message here is that God takes and takes from us until we're spent, and when we're gone, he creates another thing and fills it with more people and things that love/admire him. I truly think that the husband was supposed represent God. I'm still not clear if Jennifer Lawrence's character represent Earth or US. I can see both interpretations.
The action/direction fits, but not the actual visuals of the CGI. We don't need to see a computer-generated heart - we just need to know that it's there or some representation that it could be there. Not only is it tacky and cheap, but it takes you out of the world it's built and the intimacy and bond of her/house. Especially since it's in conflict with the soul/nature and construction of the house/Mother Earth itself, and everything that runs parallel to it in the film.
See, I think the CGI was effective for creating an unreliable narrator. I didn't really trust Jennifer's character or her sanity for half of the movie. The heart in the house thing was one of the things that helped me question her perspective. I think that was done purposefully. If we're getting into the whole theology/philosophy of the movie, I wonder if Aronofsky was pointing out how clouded our feelings and thoughts can be when it comes to our relationship with the Earth and God. Also, the CGI helped create this hyper surrealism about the film where it made me question how real any of this stuff was. By the time we get to the 3rd act, I was primed for surrealism, but it just seemed like over the top then.
Which takes you out of the [organic] picture it's painted. We're supposed to empathize with her and be in tune with what she's going through. If Aronofsky wanted to encapsulate the rage he had (I'll add to this later on) and have the audience feel her pain and ultimate forlorn, anything that could lead us to question her perspective would be a distraction. I completely understand what you're saying with all the interactions that go on in the film (with it being some sort of branch off of a David Lynch piece), as we're witnessing all these acts from her view. But we needed to be able to connect with her as much as we possibly could - which Aronofsky most certainly didn't maximize - which is why when the baby is born and taken from her there isn't that level of empathy that you'd usually have when a baby is being separated from her mother.

And just to tag LvT back in again, if Aronofsky had folded the emotion of Dancer in the Dark into this film's first two acts, we probably would've had a classic on our hands. But we just never get that. We never get to really sympathize with her and what she's going through. After having time to digest it more, the film does end up feeling empty.
Not sure if this was the only point of what was going on. I definitely agree the message about the Earth and the way we're treating her were there, but I think there were messages in there about our relationship to God, each other, and life overall were in there. The pet thing may have been overkill.
I guess you can take any interpretation from it you want, after all, that's the point of art right? But that was the general point of the film (everything else was just a vessel) -

Possibly realising that they’d otherwise have nothing to talk about, director Darren Aronofsky and star Jennifer Lawrence have been a bit more forthcoming about the film’s plot in recent weeks, Lawrence in particular laying out the film’s entire premise in conversation with The Telegraph.

It depicts the rape and torment of Mother Earth,” she said. “It’s not for everybody. It’s a hard film to watch. But it’s important for people to understand the allegory we intended. That they know I represent Mother Earth, Javier, whose character is a poet, represents a form of God, a creator; Michelle Pfeiffer is an Eve to Ed Harris’s Adam, there’s Cain and Abel and the setting sometimes resembles the Garden of Eden

“For Darren to take these massive biblical themes and condense them into a narrative about a house and a couple I think is just brilliant. I have never heard of anything like it.”

Aronofsky himself has also explained his process of making the film, and just why he decided to tackle such broad themes in the guise of a traditional horror movie.

“It came out of living on this planet and sort of seeing what’s happening around us and not being able to do anything,” Aronofsky told Variety. “I just had a lot of rage and anger, and I wanted to channel it into one emotion, into one feeling. In five days I wrote the first version of the script… It just sort of poured out of me.”

He elaborated further on the film’s biblical premise during a Reddit AMA, revealing that “finding the structure was the great breakthrough that allowed me to write this screenplay so quickly. When trying to think about Mother Earth’s relationship to people, I decided to turn to the stories of the Bible as a way of describing a version of people’s story on earth.”

Having an animal would've been a great touch, and again would've only layered Mother Earth's bond with her creatures before we destroyed her home. It would'nt have taken center stage, but just to add to her character and the narrative.

YES.
If you want to talk about on the nose, the ending was spot on. I loved everything from his admission to her right before he takes her heart, to how she has an awakening and destroys the house and herself to free herself from him, but she doesn't even die. She ends up right back in his arms and then he takes the last thing she has to give and right before it, he admits this is what he does. He creates and he takes. That's what this entire film is about. The Creator and how he can't help but create and take and how much he loves those who love him and his creations but how little he has to truly give. How he destroys the very lives that worship him in his zeal to draw more people to praise him. And then that last shot of the house being reborn and a new woman waking up to call his name. God is forever and will keep doing what he does, while we die and others come after us to repeat our human failings. At least that's how I interpreted it.
The problem I had with the ending is it's too literal (hence why I hated the CGI), all of it could've been explained more tactfully and subtlety after the brutality and bluntness of what just happened. We didn't need it spelled out to us. Ending on an ambiguous note that alluded to the cycle would've been more effective IMO, because it would've forced us to not only piece it together but think about how she's being raped, beaten, tortured and forgotten to her death.

:manny:

Last edited:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I think it's worth noting that bibically, there will be a new heaven and a new earth once this world is destroyed. I think the ending of the film captures that cynical cycle of creation, destruction, and creation.

But on another note, while I find the bible/god/earth/humanity allegories interesting, I found myself much more compelled by the allegory of the tortured artist using his life experience as fodder for his work. In 2017, we have celebrities letting fans inside every moment of their lives. In fact that was the interpretation I took in the quickest, and the one that continues to resonate with me. That is what makes the film feel so personal.

Through social media, and reality tv, and tabloids, and TMZ, we have direct access to artists and people of fame. And it's instant access. Showing up at their house before they even know it. The privacy of a great artist is no longer sacred, in fact the transparency of sharing themselves with the fans and merging their work with their private life, creating a brand, has become more important than the art that they create. So not only do I want your book or movie or album, I want to see video and photos of your wedding, your children, your home. You have a secret closet housing something that is only for your eyes? Nope, I want that too. I want your darkest secrets, I want your sex tapes and nude photos, I want your shame and humiliation. I want your heart and soul.

I'm reminded of Beyonce's most critically praised album being the one where she shares being cheated on, and Jay-z in return creating his "most personal" album filled to the brim with secrets and revelations of his private life.

After directing depressing and personal films like The Wrestler, Black Swan, and Requiem, Darren has arrived at a place of pessimism, where fans expect more, more, more, and to please them he has to truly rip everything personal and private out of him to present to them. And I feel it's that way for many (male) writers.

They don't live life.

They don't appreciate moments.

They scour through life looking for moments they can strip for parts to make something greater.

They can experience one of the happiest moments of their life, the birth of a child, or the most mind blowing lovemaking ever, or a intimate conversation, or a belly full of laughter with friends, or a beautiful sunset while on vacation, but instead of enjoying it, they have to run off to write down their thoughts because the moment inspired them rather than fulfilled them.

And it leads to them alienating family, often their wives, builder of their homes, mothers of their children, who wonder why they aren't enough to make them happy, why they would rather lock themselves in a room for days on end rather than have breakfast with them, enjoy a nice dinner, or fukk them.

Why is the admiration of strangers more important than the admiration of the one you chose to build a life with?

Why must you take the happiness and love and pain of our home, and curate it to create your magnum opus?

Why is it so important for you to give the public our lives, the pain and joy of it all, for them to consume? Literal public consumption of everything that you value.

Usually, a Darren film is from the POV of the artist, or the entertainer who destroys themselves in order to give that great work or performance. But this time, it's from the POV of the women that love and build with those creators and entertainers, who then become destroyed by their lovers obsession and ambition to create and please strangers. The men willing to sacrifice their homes for the artistry.

It's a devastating portrait. And ugly and cynical but I can't say that it doesn't often ring true.
This. This. This. I realized it was a religious allegory but looking at the story at face value I felt it was a far more powerful tale. The fact the movie works on both those levels is a credit to Aronofsky.

And for the record, I loved absolutely everything about this. My only complaints are the indeed tacky CGI, and the random-ass appearance by a certain actress in the third act that just completely broke immersion for me as I was shoulder deep into the experience.

I love how it relentlessly moves on and just builds and builds and it never lets go. Aronofsky must have loved Son Of Saul because the camera work and pressuring aspect ratio (widescreen instead of Saul's 4:3) is very reminiscent of that film. The acting is brilliant as well, for all her floozy ways you can't really deny that J-Law is just insanely good while Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer seemingly cakewalk through incredible performances.

The movie is a total riot (quite literally too at some point) and most people will absolutely hate it but I love it!

666 ReVeNGe 666

TROLL IS LIFE
Daps
some great conversation in here.

My wife had an interesting viewpoint too.

She said it could have been an author who basically wanted to fame and acceptance from all of his fans and put his wife to the side and on the back burner while she gave everything she had...riots and war ewuated to arguments and shyt etc...... and in the end he basically took the last of her heart and just got a new bytch... :ehh:

I definitely saw some signs of the world's ills and religion in there but to be honest the whole movie went over my head :russ:

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Guess it wasn't for me :yeshrug:

Going in I knew the movie was a metaphor and all that but this shyt just did nothing for me. And I see some people who's opinions I respect are rocking with it so maybe it's just me but I thought this film was utter trash and trying way too hard to be something more.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
never heard of this movie just saw the trailer. not even going to waste my time driving up to the movie theater

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Yo, I don't even know how this shyt got made...but it's quite the experience.

I feel kinda gross that part of my enjoyment came from knowing that most of the people in the theater with me were hating it :dead:

And while I definitely see the religious or even environmental takes, I was all-in on the tortured artist allegory after about 30 minutes. Not every little bit clicked, but a lot really worked on that level for me.

Seedz

Hate White People
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brilliant movie.

A lot of people will hate it, understandably. Mostly due to the fact that if they know nothing about the director and his other films, and are just going based off the trailer... they are in for a disturbing awakening.

Couple people walked out of the theatre when I watched.

Seedz

Hate White People
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think it's worth noting that bibically, there will be a new heaven and a new earth once this world is destroyed. I think the ending of the film captures that cynical cycle of creation, destruction, and creation.

But on another note, while I find the bible/god/earth/humanity allegories interesting, I found myself much more compelled by the allegory of the tortured artist using his life experience as fodder for his work. In 2017, we have celebrities letting fans inside every moment of their lives. In fact that was the interpretation I took in the quickest, and the one that continues to resonate with me. That is what makes the film feel so personal.

Through social media, and reality tv, and tabloids, and TMZ, we have direct access to artists and people of fame. And it's instant access. Showing up at their house before they even know it. The privacy of a great artist is no longer sacred, in fact the transparency of sharing themselves with the fans and merging their work with their private life, creating a brand, has become more important than the art that they create. So not only do I want your book or movie or album, I want to see video and photos of your wedding, your children, your home. You have a secret closet housing something that is only for your eyes? Nope, I want that too. I want your darkest secrets, I want your sex tapes and nude photos, I want your shame and humiliation. I want your heart and soul.

I'm reminded of Beyonce's most critically praised album being the one where she shares being cheated on, and Jay-z in return creating his "most personal" album filled to the brim with secrets and revelations of his private life.

After directing depressing and personal films like The Wrestler, Black Swan, and Requiem, Darren has arrived at a place of pessimism, where fans expect more, more, more, and to please them he has to truly rip everything personal and private out of him to present to them. And I feel it's that way for many (male) writers.

They don't live life.

They don't appreciate moments.

They scour through life looking for moments they can strip for parts to make something greater.

They can experience one of the happiest moments of their life, the birth of a child, or the most mind blowing lovemaking ever, or a intimate conversation, or a belly full of laughter with friends, or a beautiful sunset while on vacation, but instead of enjoying it, they have to run off to write down their thoughts because the moment inspired them rather than fulfilled them.

And it leads to them alienating family, often their wives, builder of their homes, mothers of their children, who wonder why they aren't enough to make them happy, why they would rather lock themselves in a room for days on end rather than have breakfast with them, enjoy a nice dinner, or fukk them.

Why is the admiration of strangers more important than the admiration of the one you chose to build a life with?

Why must you take the happiness and love and pain of our home, and curate it to create your magnum opus?

Why is it so important for you to give the public our lives, the pain and joy of it all, for them to consume? Literal public consumption of everything that you value.

Usually, a Darren film is from the POV of the artist, or the entertainer who destroys themselves in order to give that great work or performance. But this time, it's from the POV of the women that love and build with those creators and entertainers, who then become destroyed by their lovers obsession and ambition to create and please strangers. The men willing to sacrifice their homes for the artistry.

It's a devastating portrait. And ugly and cynical but I can't say that it doesn't often ring true.

Wow excellent analysis. All the daps.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I haven't seen the movie and probably won't any time soon based on what I've heard, but from the reviews I've read this is what I've gathered

Seems like the whole thing is a biblical allegory. Jennifer Lawrence is God, the house is earth, Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer are Adam and Eve, their twin sons are Cain and Able, the angry mob that shows up and messes up the house is mankind, the baby that the mob kills is Jesus. Not sure if Javier Bardem is Satan introducing evil to the world, the creators of the Bible/Christianity who need chaos to empower their movement/art or another version of God that allows free will and chaos in comparison to the Jennifer Lawrence version of God in favor of order and predetermination.

That's my take, but of course I could be way off since I haven't seen it

Jennifer Lawerence is not God. Javier Bardem is.

So Jennifer Lawrence is Mother Earth?

Yup. Gaia/mother nature/mother earth/the innocence of mankind/the purity of motherhood.

mother nature

some great conversation in here.

My wife had an interesting viewpoint too.

She said it could have been an author who basically wanted to fame and acceptance from all of his fans and put his wife to the side and on the back burner while she gave everything she had...riots and war ewuated to arguments and shyt etc...... and in the end he basically took the last of her heart and just got a new bytch... :ehh:

I definitely saw some signs of the world's ills and religion in there but to be honest the whole movie went over my head :russ:

The entire film is a religious allegory. Mother = Mary, Him = God, the older couple = Adam and Eve, their sons = Cain and Abel, Mother's child = Jesus.
:usure:

Martha