Darren Aronofsky's Mother! (Trailer) starring Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem

Daps
This movie reminded me A LOT of Lars von Trier's AntiChrist. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if Aronofsky has been studying that movie and other von Trier projects.

And I walked out of the theatre feeling the same way I did about most von Trier films. Baffled, curious, and reflective.
LvT the pretentious cac GAWD. :lawd:

There's definitely some shades of LvT darkening it in the 3rd act, but I'd liken the feel/direction more to Polanski - Repulsion, especially.
It was a very interesting film. Really held my attention for the majority of the time and kept me guessing, which I enjoyed. I really didn't know where they were taking it and that's always refreshing. Towards the end though it became a bit too heavy handed and melodramatic in its zeal to paint an allegory. There comes a point when you try so hard to create an allegory than it's no longer an allegory, it's a sermon. Which is kinda ironic, considering the message here.
It worked for me (which is strange because I typically don't like when things are too on-the-nose and thematically gauche), probably because the model that he used is known to pretty much everyone.
The low hanging fruits of telling the narrative through the Old/New Testaments and religion - destructive nature of humanity - isn't trying too hard on some Lupe Fiasco matryoshka doll type shyt. What better way to tell a story of how we fukk Mother Earth than with a standard biblical vessel.
I think perhaps I didn't mind its heavy-handedness because it took its time to build up to that point(s), rather than shoving it down our throats in the first two acts with the same imagery.

In fact, the biggest problems I had with the film were:
Almost every use of CGI I absolutely hated, it spent all this time organically painting its picture and yet ruined the tone/look/direction with visuals of: the House's heart over and over (we didn't need to see a computer generated heart, which should've been replaced with the actual sound of an innocent/abnormal murmur, putting her ear to the wall as if she was hearing her own heart), the moving/reappearing blood and wounds, the fire/explosion - regeneration/undoing of the scorched House (the very ending took so much away from the scope of the film, shyt was tacky as fukk).

Everything that shaped the narrative should've been done with sound/dialogue (which it did do a masterful job at), and the heightened realism of what we saw in the 3rd act - the rabbit hole sequence as she's looking to leave and she stumbles upon people locked in a cage onwards.

And one thing he definitely should've added is -
A pet cat or dog walking about, to symbolize her affection for animals/creatures and the free, unrestrained happy nature of them before Adam/Eve arrived, and then as the guests arrive it disappears, no longer to be seen - which would be a needed subtle layer to the whole 'mankind is destroying Earth'.
I do like the ideas he was trying to put forth, but the 3rd act of the film almost lost me. I went from intrigued to bewildered and then exasperated. I almost checked out but he pulled me back in at the end.
You liked the ending? :patrice:

Last edited:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Probably gonna watch this when it's out on BluRay, don't really care about getting spoiled about this movie to be honest :manny: Can someone just tell what the "disturbing scene" everyone is talking about is? :feedme:

Daps
Probably gonna watch this when it's out on BluRay, don't really care about getting spoiled about this movie to be honest :manny: Can someone just tell what the "disturbing scene" everyone is talking about is? :feedme:
A baby's neck is snapped in a crowd of people trying to fight over it, then the baby is ripped apart, then people proceed to eat the baby, JLaw then grabs a shard of glass and begins stabbing those aforementioned people; in the face, chest, stomach etc etc, people then beat her while she's on the ground to within an inch of her life, and you get to see every single punch/kick close up and the marks they leave as it's happening on some Irreversible type shyt.

Last edited:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
A baby's neck is snapped in a crowd of people trying to fight over it, then the baby is ripped apart, then people proceed to eat the baby, JLaw then grabs a shard of glass and begins stabbing those aforementioned people; in the face, chest, stomach etc etc, people then beat her while she's on the ground to within an inch of her life, and you get to see every single punch/kick close up and the marks they leave as it's happening.
holy shyt :dead: :merchant: :mjlol:

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
A baby's neck is snapped in a crowd of people trying to fight over it, then the baby is ripped apart, then people proceed to eat the baby, JLaw then grabs a shard of glass and begins stabbing those aforementioned people; in the face, chest, stomach etc etc, people then beat her while she's on the ground to within an inch of her life, and you get to see every single punch/kick close up and the marks they leave as it's happening on some Irreversible type shyt.
:whoa:Yup, I'll pass on this film thank you very much. I ain't into that satanic shyt.

Daps
:whoa:Yup, I'll pass on this film thank you very much. I ain't into that satanic shyt.
Funny thing is, it's biblically the very opposite. Especially that scene.:lolbron:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink (John 6:53-55)." - Jesus. Baby.

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
Funny thing is, it's biblically the very opposite. Especially that scene.:lolbron:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink (John 6:53-55)." - Jesus.
The Bible has so many :demonic:quotes.
:usure:Isn't that passage about communion though. Flesh = Bread. Blood = Wine.

Last edited: