Darren Aronofsky's Mother! (Trailer) starring Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
You know....one thing that was really bothering me about the movie watching it blind was JLaw's annoying acting. Acting annoying and selfish all the time, before the real chaos started. Of course, when you actually understand the movie you see why, but that doesn't change the feeling I felt while it was unraveling

But upon reflection, I think I would have enjoyed it more had I read spoilers beforehand.

I know for sure I didn't hate it though. Just am confused as fukk how much I liked it

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
The entire film is a religious allegory. Mother = Mary, Him = God, the older couple = Adam and Eve, their sons = Cain and Abel, Mother's child = Jesus.
:usure:

Martha

The movie works on both levels, breh. In fact, some stuff in the movie only works from the perspective of:

Bardem's character as a narcissistic artist. Like J-Law taking the medicine powder to suppress the invasion of her privacy as a result of her husband's lifestyle, one she abandons when he gives her a child and (temporarily) doesn't let his art affect their lives. Just the same thing with the ending where the girl who wakes up is a new face, eg. after taking all inspiration from his previous muse, he simply dumps her and finds a new muse.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man i gotta get tipsy and watch this trainwreck just based off of the reactions in here. I love movie theater fukkery for the image it burns in ya head when u rewatch. I still remember people cursing and walking out of pooty tang.

Someone screamed "pookie still on that fukking crack" before walking out

:russ:

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
Just got back from seeing this shyt. I actually really liked it. :yeshrug:

I'm agnostic now, but I was raised in a hyper religious baptist family so I know my bible. I thought it was a neat insight to make God a poet:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. - John 1:1

I didn't catch that the man and woman were Adam and Eve until Cain killed Abel.

I peeped the flood shyt as it was happening, though. :mjgrin:

I'm also think there's a connection between, "My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? ' and the house but I haven't fully fleshed out that idea.

Overall, I fukk with it.

[SPOILER/]

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I get all the allegorical attempts in this movie (Harris and Pfeiffer = Adam and Eve, their fighting sons = Cain and Abel; Lawrence's love for Bardem is reflected in the house etc.) but that doesn't change the fact that this movie was an obnoxiously incoherent mess full of bad performances from usually good actors and a director being so self-indulgent that he gave zero fukks about making a movie that was entertaining on any level.

Daps
Friday night viewing so I'm assuming lots of people were there. What was their reaction?
A lot of restlessness during the first two acts, and then it went all quiet in the last one (I imagine everyone was in shock, ha). I don't think anybody got up and left at any point too.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Thing is I really liked Noah too. I guess as an atheist I really appreciate Darren's blunt take on Yahweh.

Daps
The movie works on both levels, breh. In fact, some stuff in the movie only works from the perspective of:

Bardem's character as a narcissistic artist. Like J-Law taking the medicine powder to suppress the invasion of her privacy as a result of her husband's lifestyle, one she abandons when he gives her a child and (temporarily) doesn't let his art affect their lives. Just the same thing with the ending where the girl who wakes up is a new face, eg. after taking all inspiration from his previous muse, he simply dumps her and finds a new muse.
Not true at all. It works on the other level as well, after all, it ultimately is the basis of the film.
Parallels can be drawn between the "medicine powder" and the Elixir of Life (Alchemy also arises in the octagonal structures and objects inside the house: the pictures frames, staircase, lighting fixtures etc etc, and the regeneration and cyclical nature of Earth. You also have the no.8 as the symbol for infinity - tying in with the ending). Aronofsky hasn't revealed what it actually is, but my guess is that shes self-medicating to heal herself, a la Gaia hypothesis.

The ending = Hindu cyclical creation and destruction of the universe / Genesis + Six Days of Creation.

Daps
I get all the allegorical attempts in this movie (Harris and Pfeiffer = Adam and Eve, their fighting sons = Cain and Abel; Lawrence's love for Bardem is reflected in the house etc.) but that doesn't change the fact that this movie was an obnoxiously incoherent mess full of bad performances from usually good actors and a director being so self-indulgent that he gave zero fukks about making a movie that was entertaining on any level.
:gucci:

It's not supposed to be coherent. I knew after watching it that folk would hate it for all the wrong reasons, which seems to be what 98% of the criticisms are based on.

Daps
You know....one thing that was really bothering me about the movie watching it blind was JLaw's annoying acting. Acting annoying and selfish all the time, before the real chaos started. Of course, when you actually understand the movie you see why, but that doesn't change the feeling I felt while it was unraveling

But upon reflection, I think I would have enjoyed it more had I read spoilers beforehand.

I know for sure I didn't hate it though. Just am confused as fukk how much I liked it
Reading the spoilers beforehand would completely ruin the experience though. :hubie:

White City Black

Ol’ Basquiat head ass
Daps
Reppin
Chicago's South Shore
Just saw it. Aside from the trailer and a lot of the adverse reactions from some moviegoers, I went in Stevie Wonder as well.

I was thinking of tortured artist allegory during it, but kinda picked up on the biblical aspect of it all at the end. Y'all pretty much confirmed it here.

That 3rd act tho...man I would love to see a live theatrical production on Broadway of this whole shyt lol

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Just saw it. Aside from the trailer and a lot of the adverse reactions from some moviegoers, I went in Stevie Wonder as well.

I was thinking of tortured artist allegory during it, but kinda picked up on the biblical aspect of it all at the end. Y'all pretty much confirmed it here.

That 3rd act tho...man I would love to see a live theatrical production on Broadway of this whole shyt lol
The whole film would really work as a musical or broadway show.

Seedz

Hate White People
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Bad performances? Really? I thought they all killed it honestly, but I guess if you felt like the story was an incoherent mess it would be hard to connect with the characters.

I'm not sure Jennifer Lawrence has had a better performance..