"Darkness, No Parents."-The Official Top 10 Movies and Top 5 Worst Movies of 2014 Voting ends 2/25

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
what else happened in whiplash that I missed
The final act after the car accident part where the whole point of the movie is laid out. I don't need my movies to have a message or be "deep". I don't need ambiguity or something to ponder after. I usually get the point of a movie by the time it ends and only leave with my impressions of it rather than actual thoughts/questions about the themes and points presented. It just so happens my two favorite movies of 2014 had that. Whiplash asks the question how far is too far to push someone in the name of getting the best/most potential out of them? Is there a too far? If Sean didn't commit suicide and Andrew didn't get into a car accident would anyone have an issue with Fletcher's style of teaching? Are we essentially a results orientated society? Do the ends justify the means? Considering the great acting, good cinematoghrapy, amazing music and all those questions I'm left with after, it's hard for me not to think it's a great movie:manny:

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
The final act after the car accident part where the whole point of the movie is laid out. I don't need my movies to have a message or be "deep". I don't need ambiguity or something to ponder after. I usually get the point of a movie by the time it ends and only leave with my impressions of it rather than actual thoughts/questions about the themes and points presented. It just so happens my two favorite movies of 2014 had that. Whiplash asks the question how far is too far to push someone in the name of getting the best/most potential out of them? Is there a too far? If Sean didn't commit suicide and Andrew didn't get into a car accident would anyone have an issue with Fletcher's style of teaching? Are we essentially a results orientated society? Do the ends justify the means? Considering the great acting, good cinematoghrapy, amazing music and all those questions I'm left with after, it's hard for me not to think it's a great movie:manny:
:ehh:Well said. I'ma watch this movie. Hopefully I can still enjoy it. Seems like everyone else did

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
5 star posting......

I remember watching the second time and thinking about how Fletcher told the class that shane was killed in a car accident....then like 10 minutes later, Andrew gets in the car accident and runs to the theatre......then you find out Shane really killed himself....i was like :wtf: Fletcher you b*stard!!!!

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
5 star posting......

I remember watching the second time and thinking about how Fletcher told the class that shane was killed in a car accident....then like 10 minutes later, Andrew gets in the car accident and runs to the theatre......then you find out Shane really killed himself....i was like :wtf: Fletcher you b*stard!!!!
I don't thinker Fletcher was being deceitful, he was probably told that Sean got into a car accident. People were afraid of him, hence no one ever coming out and complaining.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
I don't thinker Fletcher was being deceitful, he was probably told that Sean got into a car accident. People were afraid of him, hence no one ever coming out and complaining.
just a question, but in that first time that they were about to perform
fletcher is shown talking to a guy and his daughter, saying "your father was great...would you like to be in my band one day?" or something...you think that was Sean? just a thought I had when I watched the second time around

edit:nevermind, watching again, he calls the guy john I believe

Last edited:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
maybe you're easily impressed

it was ass to me. I live a life where I see people being pushed everyday to excel, so seeing this is nothing

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community

it was ass to me. I live a life where I see people being pushed everyday to excel, so seeing this is nothing
Yea you're a troll. have you read @obarth threads? He's one of the harshest critics on the site. And just because you see people being pushed everyday in "your world" (like we don't all see that everyday) doesn't mean the movie doesn't tell a very effective story about the human condition. Nobody is "easily impressed" around here; you actually talk to the great posters in the film room, we are very critical of everything; the movie was well executed and deserves it's praise. You don't like it, cool, move on.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons

That's like saying I live a life where I experience racism everyday so seeing Selma is nothing. nikka, you're clearly here to be contrarian as opposed to having legit debate. Nobody cares about your life; talk about the movies or kick rocks, my dude:camby:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea you're a troll. have you read @obarth threads? He's one of the harshest critics on the site. And just because you see people being pushed everyday in "your world" (like we don't all see that everyday) doesn't mean the movie doesn't tell a very effective story about the human condition. Nobody is "easily impressed" around here; you actually talk to the great posters in the film room, we are very critical of everything; the movie was well executed and deserves it's praise. You don't like it, cool, move on.
yeah im a troll because I don't go with the majority. I don't like the film I didn't find it entertaining. so im a troll? troll just means you don't agree with the majority, that's the new meaning for it

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's like saying I live a life where I experience racism everyday so seeing Selma is nothing. nikka, you're clearly here to be contrarian as opposed to having legit debate. Nobody cares about your life; talk about the movies or kick rocks, my dude:camby:
to me the movie sucked,

Selma is a bad analogy as ive never witnessed a iconic civil rights leader with my own eyes

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
to me the movie sucked,

Selma is a bad analogy as ive never witnessed a iconic civil rights leader with my own eyes
Breh, to you the movie sucked, I'm cool with that. Don't come at me slick on some pretentious line about my standards for movies. I didn't insult you about your opinion, I gave my opinion in return.

I could easily refute the whole witnessing iconic civil rights leader point because I'd be here for a while listing ones I know you'd have to be a fetus to not have witnessed. More importantly I like how you want to get specific about my analogy yet would look at me sideways if I asked you to list the drummers you've personally witnessed be pushed to excel:mjpls:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
@obarth back! typing like he on a contract year coming for that 2015 poster of the year :gladbron:

@Sensitive Blake Griffin idk about all that breh :patrice:.. first initial theater viewing i gave it a 7..ive since bumped it up as it's stuck with me. I'll see it again soon i told my girl she better cop it and nightcrawler for me for v day

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I'm still formulating my list. I'm rewatching gone girl as I type and I'm realizing I'm strongly considering it as my top pick over birdman @flyry :lupe:
Nightcrawler, Gone Girl and Fury all were criticized for shaky endings but I had to give them props for being great the bulk of the way through. Plus I had no issues with the Nightcrawler or Gone Girl endings:manny: