Damn, looks like Phil Spencer has officially accepted defeat from Sony. Says Starfield won’t change shyt

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
but you probably also owned a PS3

he also makes the point about people building their digital library last gen, and how they're entrenched in that because backwards compatibility is now standard
7th generation I started off with a Wii, then a Xbox 360. I didn't get a PS3 until 2010. I was more of a Nintendo fan first, sony fan second prior to the start of the 7th generation. I wasn't even fukking with Sony I went with a 360 back in 2007. It felt like there were reasons to own both(Xbox 360 had a better controller, better online experience, decent exclusive games and better multiplatform games etc.) PS3 had exclusives that were hard to ignore.

With the 8th gen and now, the Xbox has lost the advantages it had while also gaining some disadvantages(Costlier, less exclusives, equal performance/visuals despite on paper better hardware.)

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
he says if Starfield is an 11/10. is that not considered a high quality game?

We barely know anything about Starfield. Even if it was a hit, it doesn’t exempt the fact that Xbox has been sorely lacking in their high quality, highly popular games for years now.

They lost the Xbone gen because they took all the goodwill from the 360 era and decided to focus on other things other than games. Then proceed to gaslight the community for years on how games are coming, and while the community waits, sell them a subscription service full of indy titles and decade old games. Gamepass is a fine service, but it shouldn’t be the replacement for a pipeline of highly anticipated games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
7th generation I started off with a Wii, then a Xbox 360. I didn't get a PS3 until 2010

Same. I was never a die hard back then, and thats mostly because outside of nintendo neither platform had amazing first party libraries. I had a nintendo then i got a 360 and it wasnt until MGS4 was announced that i got a ps3, i always buy consoles for one particular game which is what i say about xbox. If they release good single player games that i like i will buy it.

Its like xbox leadership and their stans will just not admit that xbox for a good number of years now have not release “event” games. Big AAA games that people feel fomo for. Halo Infinite was supposed to be that, and it was for like a month, same with Forza but no one is rushing out for that.

They have not put out a title that makes gaming enthusiast stop what they’re doing and pay attention. Its that simple

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
he conceded a lot of the points yall are making. did you want him to come out and act like everything's ok?

all they can do is move forward, and hopefully learn from their mistakes

he did make a good point about taking risks. in this age of remakes and sequels, tying something new is inherently risky, and could end in failure, but it has to be done to make any kind of progress

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
He's full of shyt.

The problem with microsoft is that they have very little involvement in the game development side of things. They throw money at studios and allow them to do what they want, and those studios end up having issues with a lack of direction. The idea behind buying publishers is that they'll be able to manage themselves without microsoft’s involvement. I feel like that's a bandaid solution to the real issue.

They need to get rid of phil and find someone who will be involved in managing microsoft’s studios.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Imagine if M$ didn’t fukk up the Xbox one reveal. I wonder what the console market would look like then.

The reveal was important but it truly is just 1 of the reasons. People can recover from bad first impressions, but it takes real work and commitment to turn it around.

If that console generation delivered on games, they could've turned it around. But no, a disastrous Halo MCC launch, a misdirected Halo 5 entry...same old Gears and Forza...what else? What did they even do last generation?

It's been almost 10 years since that Xbox One reveal, what games have they released that changed the culture?

Not game-pass, not teraflops, not elite controllers, what is their reputation for games?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Same. I was never a die hard back then, and thats mostly because outside of nintendo neither platform had amazing first party libraries. I had a nintendo then i got a 360 and it wasnt until MGS4 was announced that i got a ps3, i always buy consoles for one particular game which is what i say about xbox. If they release good single player games that i like i will buy it.

Its like xbox leadership and their stans will just not admit that xbox for a good number of years now have not release “event” games. Big AAA games that people feel fomo for. Halo Infinite was supposed to be that, and it was for like a month, same with Forza but no one is rushing out for that.

They have not put out a title that makes gaming enthusiast stop what they’re doing and pay attention. Its that simple
Yup. So far like another poster explained they have had nothing really that great. Hi-Fi rush was nice but it was a small niche game.
They could've had a hit with Halo Infinite but that was :trash: a month after release. Right now the games that do come out that are great can be played on PS5 and PC where those platforms have SOMETHING worth buying it for.

Switch is still last gen and it's about to get arguably the GOTG next week.

Sony got Spider-Man 2 later this year with FFXVI next month. Unknown exclusives are still tbd for this year.

Xbox has been inconsistent.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
he conceded a lot of the points yall are making. did you want him to come out and act like everything's ok?

all they can do is move forward, and hopefully learn from their mistakes

he did make a good point about taking risks. in this age of remakes and sequels, tying something new is inherently risky, and could end in failure, but it has to be done to make any kind of progress

Also, a lot easier when you have a trillion dollar corporation backing you, and when it comes to games im still not seeing actual risks being taken. They are still making Halo, Gears, Forza, only now they have Zenimax games exclusively on their platform.