Critics Are Calling Out Disney for Fat-Shaming Polynesians With ‘Moana’ Character

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
latest
Umaga-psd30522.png

RIP Umaga :to:

Juney

Rookie
Daps
Salesa calls Maui’s depiction “obese,” and thinks children might get the wrong message about their bodies. “The environment our kids grow up in and what they are exposed to have a role to play. Disney movies are very influential on our children. It is great that Moana is the lead. However, it is disappointing that Maui, one of our beloved historical ancestors from hundreds of years ago, who was a very strong man [and] a skilled navigator, is depicted to be so overweight in this kids’ movie.”

Isn't what these critics are doing considered "fat shaming?" I thought that we as a society were now encouraged to be "body positive" and celebrate all kinds of body types, fat, skinny, etc. It's doubly ironic that some people are criticizing the character's looks, while wanting his design to align more with European standards of beauty, for example slimmer build, thin lips, narrow nose, etc.

It's pretty obvious that the animators are exaggerating Maui's build to provide a strong contrast to the relative petite size of Moana. They do that shyt all the time in animated movies.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Yea them uso's be down with black people. You don't hear them on that :mjpls: time as much.
That depends

Most cool though... But it REALLY depends.

Watch you hook up with a bad-decent looking poly and the :demonic: looks you get...

I seen this one black dude get sucker punched HARD AF all because he had all these hoes singing and dancing around him most the night. Not being disrespectful or nothing... He ate that shyt though and Poly dude tried to walk away when the hoes/security holding homeboy back

BUT thats only in the islands. In the westcoast they are way more chill than that. Still big ass nikkas though

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps

Am I lying? In a minute you going to have dudes getting hauled out of male restrooms 'cause they pissed off a Tranny Pawg for pissing too hard against the urinals talking about "The force of that Male's piss stream oppressed me and caused bladder shyness." or some shyt:beli: Some really spooky shyt ahead, brehs.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Am I lying? In a minute you going to have dudes getting hauled out of male restrooms 'cause they pissed off a Tranny Pawg for pissing too hard against the urinals talking about "The force of that Male's piss stream oppressed me and caused bladder shyness." or some shyt:beli: Some really spooky shyt ahead, brehs.
No the shyt you wrote was funny you're not lying.