Creed (Official Thread)

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@FlyRy

After seeing Spotlight....Stallone still deserves best supp Actor. I'd say Creed is still a better movie. Although Spotlight is a haunting story that linger with you. I'd say Coogler still did a more impressive job directing as well.

I wouldn't be upset if Spotlight won best picture. It fits the Academy type film and is great. Just think movies like Mad Max and Creed were the top theater experiences of the year and movies that happened to be great as well.

I think the direction in Spotlight is extremely underrated though. It's not showy like Creed but he's going a great job behind the camera. Being so matter of fact with his direction while also keeping the camera in very tight, he really helps illustrate how small the world is and how connected we all are so we all bear blame when some terrible heinous shyt like that goes down. I liked Creed more but I feel like Spotlight has more to say, which isn't a diss to Creed just the nature of the subject matter

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Rewatching it again for the 3rd time. Still a good movie, but why not go to Apollo's trainer instead of his son? Apollo's trainer would have taken him in.

and I need that full blown fight between baby Creed and Stuntman.

Apollo's trainer was dead breh. Wood harris played his son and he didn't want anything to do with him fighting. He told him he wasn't built for it

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I think the direction in Spotlight is extremely underrated though. It's not showy like Creed but he's going a great job behind the camera. Being so matter of fact with his direction while also keeping the camera in very tight, he really helps illustrate how small the world is and how connected we all are so we all bear blame when some terrible heinous shyt like that goes down. I liked Creed more but I feel like Spotlight has more to say, which isn't a diss to Creed just the nature of the subject matter
It has more to say, but I just disagree with the direction. I'm not saying he did a bad job. It just could have been better. The subject matter draws you in, but there were times that a more skilled director would have improved certain scenes. What you are highlighting is stuff that I expect any solid directing would have done.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It has more to say, but I just disagree with the direction. I'm not saying he did a bad job. It just could have been better. The subject matter draws you in, but there were times that a more skilled director would have improved certain scenes. What you are highlighting is stuff that I expect any solid directing would have done.

I think the story should always determine how you direct and for this kind of matter of fact story, thats what it needed. much like all the presidents men which wasn't showy at all but its what it needed

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I think the story should always determine how you direct and for this kind of matter of fact story, thats what it needed. much like all the presidents men which wasn't showy at all but its what it needed
Having reread what you said..."It's underrated"

Ok, I get that and don't disagree there. However, its not the approach, its how well you use the approach. I thought this could have been not just a best picture winner, but an all timer. But I guess if I'm asking that question...it really is not a negative on the film/director at all.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Having reread what you said..."It's underrated"

Ok, I get that and don't disagree there. However, its not the approach, its how well you use the approach. I thought this could have been not just a best picture winner, but an all timer. But I guess if I'm asking that question...it really is not a negative on the film/director at all.

Nah you're basically debating how dope is it..is it a 9 or a 10 either way, dope is dope. I do think he made the right decision by getting out of the way of the material and the actors though

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

“CREED”
Director of Photography: Maryse Alberti

“The movie talks about Adonis having to make his own legacy, to get out from underneath the name of Creed and make it his own. For this shot, I had to find a projector that could produce the clarity and intensity of light to record it. Home projectors look very cute but they don’t have the power necessary for a camera to record. So we had to bring in a big projector and cheat a little bit to show that this young man is immersed in the idea of boxing. That’s what he wants his life to be, and the ghost of his father is right on top of him. He fights the image of his father in trying to find his own path.”

—Maryse Alberti

Ryan Coogler has hired female cinematographers for both of his feature films to date. It’s important to him for female filmmakers to be given the opportunity. “Women are better filmmakers than men,” he once told me in a moment of candor. “They’re infinitely more complex.” In these collaborations, Coogler has found fascinating visual grammar, first for “Fruitvale Station” with Rachel Morrison, and now for “Creed” with Maryse Alberti, whose work on “The Wrestler” really sparked him to her propensity to capture what he was aiming to achieve. (He was also inspired by his favorite film, Jacques Audiard’s “A Prophet”).

If you’re choosing an image from “Creed” for a column like this, you might be tempted to select the dazzling oner that captures an entire boxing match in a single take. To say the least, that was an amazing feat of choreography and storytelling. But I wondered about iconography. I wondered about thematic potency. I wondered about an image that told separate stories, one of a character shadowboxing the projected image of his father and what that meant to the narrative, but also of a young filmmaker with a fresh and vital voice looking to put his personal stamp on a century-old medium. I found all of that in this image, the single greatest shot of 2015.

The Top 10 Shots of 2015

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
This. Wood is a superb actor, hope he gets a bigger role if there's a sequel.
MGM, which financed the Warner Bros. release with New Line, is onboard. “There’s no doubt that we’re making a ‘Creed 2,’” says MGM CEO Gary Barber.
Sylvester Stallone Says 'Creed' Sequel Could Reunite Rocky and Apollo (EXCLUSIVE)

It’s not clear if Ryan Coogler, who is in negotiations for Marvel’s “Black Panther,” will return as director of the next “Creed.” “I know Ryan is probably going to be gone for a couple years,” Stallone says. “So there will be a quandary on: Do we work with another director and have Ryan produce, or do we wait? There’s a diminishing time acceptance of a sequel. Now they are cranking them out in a year.”

@FlyRy does this deserve its own thread :wow:

Coogler and Stallone have already developed ideas for the new “Creed.” One version of the story would take place in the past, which would mean — in a surprise that would energize the franchise’s fans — bringing back Carl Weathers to play Apollo Creed, who died in 1985’s “Rocky IV.” “Ryan has some ideas of going forward and backward and actually seeing Rocky and Apollo together,” Stallone revealed. “Think of ‘The Godfather 2.’ That’s what he was thinking of, which was kind of ambitious.” Stallone said he’d recently bumped into Weathers, who looked like he was still in good shape. “I can’t believe I got in the ring with him,” he says. “Even if it was play fighting.”

Coogler is startled to hear that Stallone has already let the cat out of the bag about their plan. “Oh no!” he says with a sigh. “There are no secrets with Sly.” Jordan sounds more skeptical. “So it’s going to be a CGI-version of Sly?” he teases, adding that he’d like to be in the next film. “I’m trying to think about it. Knowing Ryan, he’ll find a clever way to make that work.”

Another option would be a linear story with Apollo’s son Adonis (Michael B. Jordan) taking on another challenger. “You’ll have him face a different opponent, which I would say is a more ferocious, big Russian,” Stallone says. “You can start to meld my experiences and then you start to bring different cultures into it. And you can see what’s happening with the Russians today in America. The complication will come with the girl’s ambition, because she’s not Adrian. She has places to go, things to see, the clock is running on her hearing.”

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
:wow::mjcry:
Stallone exposed himself to emotional punches that were far more painful. He first met with Coogler in mid-2012. The young director had wanted to make a new “Rocky” because it was a franchise he loved watching as a kid. When Coogler’s dad got sick from a rare vitamin deficiency that caused his muscles to atrophy, he got the idea for a “Rocky” reboot in which the character fell ill. “I wanted to see my dad’s hero go through something similar to what we were going through,” Coogler says.

Yet “Creed” isn’t just a son’s homage to his father. It’s also a dad’s valentine to his boy. In July 2012, Stallone’s son Sage died of a heart attack at 36, shortly after that first meeting with Coogler. Stallone was devastated. Sage had played Rocky’s son in 1990’s “Rocky V,” and Stallone would often think about his son while on the “Creed” set. “I wanted to pay respect to him,” he says, “and share those feelings with people who have undergone a tremendous loss.”

“Creed” honors Sage in a gut-wrenching moment that brings Stallone’s pain to the screen. In a scene midway through the film, Adonis holds up a picture of Rocky’s son, who has moved to Vancouver to escape the shadow of his famous father. The image — a young Sage, wearing boxing gloves, posing with Stallone in front of a punching bag — is from a family album. “I remember the first time I saw thephoto, I was heartbroken,” says Coogler, who urged Stallone to give him the picture. “I thought it wouldn’t be right not to have a representation of Sage in the movie.”
Why 'Creed' Was Sylvester Stallone's Toughest Role

Last edited:

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
:russ:
tumblr_nzhyw9gvuW1qa3emao3_500.gif
:mjlol: