Creed (Official Thread)

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps

W. Kamau Bell just dropped this interview with Coogler and Aaron Covington (the co-writer) on his podcast. Pretty good, so far :obama:

creed definitely does not have better writing or a better story than the first rocky and that is objectively fact and i doubt that adonis creed can even become HALF the cinematic icon that rocky balboa is.

Maybe not to you, but you act like it's out of the realm of possibility that someone else could think so. That's pretty close minded.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Maybe not to you, but you act like it's out of the realm of possibility that someone else could think so. That's pretty close minded.

I was responding to someone who thought it was "astonishing" that anyone could think the rocky was better than creed.

and honestly yes we all are entitled to our opinions but anyone arguing that creed is better written and is a better story has a MUCH tougher argument to make.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
I was responding to someone who thought it was "astonishing" that anyone could think the rocky was better than creed.

and honestly yes we all are entitled to our opinions but anyone arguing that creed is better written and is a better story has a MUCH tougher argument to make.

I don't think the argument begins and ends with 'better written' and 'better story' though. But the argument can still be made.

I found Creed way more relatable than I ever found Rocky, personally. If you look at the consensus on here - even look at the films' respective Rotten Tomatoes scores (not a perfect metric, I know) - there's 1% difference between them in Rocky's favour. Even if it doesn't pick up a ton of awards, it's going to end up as a 'People's Champion' of movies.

'Creed' is damn near a meta Rocky movie, itself.
- $35 mil budget. Not the biggest by Hollywood's standards
- Michael B Jordan was fresh of the F4 Flop. Studio heads probably got nervous over that.
- Probably wasn't expected to do big numbers and it's so far made back almost double what it cost.
- It might not have been won out at the box office, but it did the best opening weekend in the franchise's history and showed that there was a place for that kind of story in the canon of Hollywood films.

It will be genuinely celebrated by people who want to see a Black director/ Black actor combo succeed or even people who just enjoy movies and cynically celebrated by entities that understand that championning diversity will bring them more money.

Also - I don't believe the original Rocky had the same pressure to be a great movie - Sly wrote it in 3 days, it was made on a budget of $1 mil, and they even let him star in even though they were thinking about giving it to Redford.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I found Creed way more relatable than I ever found Rocky, personally. If you look at the consensus on here - even look at the films' respective Rotten Tomatoes scores (not a perfect metric, I know) - there's 1% difference between them in Rocky's favour. Even if it doesn't pick up a ton of awards, it's going to end up as a 'People's Champion' of movies.

absolutely, but you have to remember that this movie is not even 2 months old yet. rocky has held up 40 years now and is still widely regarded as an iconic american film.

i just don't see creed reaching that pinnacle.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
absolutely, but you have to remember that this movie is not even 2 months old yet. rocky has held up 40 years now and is still widely regarded as an iconic american film.

It could breh. Depends on how many people it touches. Just like Rocky. Just like one generation propped Rocky up and continued to talk about its greatness and put people on, it's up to another generation to do the same. It's hard to predict 40 years into the future

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY

Nah
I def could see this surviving the tests of time
Theres so much going for it
And they way its all pulled off; age gap, race, love, disease etc
Seemed effortless

Daps
Reppin
NYC
It could breh. Depends on how many people it touches. Just like Rocky. Just like one generation propped Rocky up and continued to talk about its greatness and put people on, it's up to another generation to do the same. It's hard to predict 40 years into the future

i just don't see future generations propping up such a generic, paint by the numbers movie.

rocky had such raw, unique characters and a rousing narrative.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Basically. It's all about hitting one generation in their sweet spot.
When i took my father to see it when i drove him home i told him "yo dad this kid that directed this they say is 29 YEARS OLD!!!!"
His face was like :ohhh:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i just don't see future generations propping up such a generic, paint by the numbers movie.

rocky had such raw, unique characters and a rousing narrative.

But that's the thing breh..to YOU its a generic paint by the numbers movie. This isn't a dictatorship where everything you say goes and all generations will follow your lead. Plus you're in the minority on this one as far as your feelings on the movie, so if we're placing odds on it being forgotten or remembered, chances are it'll be remembered just going off the information at hand right now. Could it be looked at differently 5 years from now? Of course. It happens all the time. But as of right now, on December 10, 2015, the shyt has damn near universal acclaim, it's a hit at the box office, and it could still get some more award love. And of course it's becoming its own franchise. So if you want to place bets, smart money is on Creed.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
let's see:

better protagonist: rocky
better antagonist: rocky
better supporting cast: rocky
better romance: rocky
better soundtrack: rocky
better fight: rocky

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
let's see:

better protagonist: rocky
better antagonist: rocky
better supporting cast: rocky
better romance: rocky
better soundtrack: rocky
better fight: rocky

Homie did I say or anyone else say that it was better than rocky? You act like two things can't exist on the same plane. It is possible that people can say "hm these are two great movies we can celebrate them both" rather than doing some mad max thunderdome shyt where only one can survive. By your logic we should only celebrate the number one greatest movie of all time and just shyt on 2-10

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Homie did I say or anyone else say that it was better than rocky? You act like two things can't exist on the same plane. It is possible that people can say "hm these are two great movies we can celebrate them both" rather than doing some mad max thunderdome shyt where only one can survive. By your logic we should only celebrate the number one greatest movie of all time and just shyt on 2-10

well i have seen ppl say creed is better than rocky...

and again i think creed lacks those things that made the original movie so memorable.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
well i have seen ppl say creed is better than rocky...

and again i think creed lacks those things that made the original movie so memorable.

And I can understand you wanting them to pump their brakes but their opinion saying it's better is no less valid than you saying it's lacking certain elements.