"Creative" stuff yall working on?(writing, art, games, music, construction, cooking, gardening, etc)

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it :salute: I'd rep you again but I can't unfortunately :francis:

There was a lot of info but I tried not to go too overboard with it. There were a lot of unfamiliar words, but i tried to give context without spamming too much information. This world will be explained in depth as the story progresses.

I intend for this story to be written in a manner akin to Game of Thrones. There is no true main character, and it will feature the perspectives of dozens of different people.

The Asafohene was important but he wasn't that important. I really intended for him just to be a background character, but his character will be explored a little more in the next chapter that features Dauntasi.

I didn't realize I was kinda killing the action the way I had written it. I'll take that into account the next time I'm writing action.

You're not being presumptuous concerning the writing style. I'm experimenting with a different writing style.

Grammar and punctuation have always been my Achilles heel. I proofread and use grammarly but it doesn't always catch everything.

:russ:

I've never read or watched Game of Thrones but while reading your chapter, I thought to myself "This is inspired by historical fantasy novels. Reminds me of Joe Abercrombie."

Do what feels natural before you're sitting in the vortex of contemplation

:francis:

The grammar, and tenses will reveal themselves after reading what you wrote aloud. The natural pauses and flow of your voice pacing the story is a great judge. After that a second pair of eyes will be your best bet.

I'm going to find a good example of a minor character having a story arc and making an impact. You may not use it for this character but it could be used for someone in the future. A good ace to flow from your stash of ink.

I look forward to reading the next chapters.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
cd40d6dc2c18a9a9d35e3aef6dbf4bc5.jpg

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
I swear I be missing this thread :dwillhuh: ....I get updates and daps for everything then this one goes to pages deep without me seeing updates.

I really gotta finish the website version of this thread sometime soon:jbhmm:
(same theme as this thread but in website form so folks contributions are searchable)

:wow:
100+ pages deep shout out to everyone who contributed
(it's hard to find, converse, buy from, brainstorm with, collab, etc etc etc with creative black folks online ...unless its music)

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The editor is finalizing the book... 66K words...:ld: I'm gonna read it over before uploading it to amazon kindle this time... might do a new cover too...

Man you've been reworking that book for a min now .....congrates on getting closer to ver 2

Did you add/remove content or just clear up gramatics/spelling?

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I finally published the 1st chapter of my story and I would greatly appreciate any feedback :lupe:

Jinkiri | Royal Road

ok I just finished it ...started late Sunday night and got half way through. Finished it tonight.
I want to mull over it some and possibly reread it so that I can give some quality/useful feedback.

QUICK THOUGHTS:
  • I always enjoy (catching / figuring out) which African ethnic groups you pull ideas and concepts from.
  • With Adwene I kept thinking Ghana or Ethiopia(battle of "Adwa") and with the Otjina I kept thinking Yoruba. When I saw the "Kente cloths", -hene, sigils, mentioned I moved more heavily towards Ghanaian influence.
  • I liked how you used the mande blacksmiths concepts of nyama in you telekinesis ideas. That said kept running through my mental index for African terms to replace the term "telekinesis" all together. worse comes to worse I'd replace telekinesis with nyama itself. (sidenote: i'd actually suggest reading "The Mande Blacksmiths: Knowledge, Power, and Art in West Africa" they have a couple of great concepts in there I found useful.)
  • Similar to "telekinesis" everytime I saw the word "chief"(i'd prefer using "hene" as general term) & "platoon" I kept going back to my index for African terms for military organization. (I suggest a book written by a Yoruba man named Samuel Johnson called - "The history of the yorubas": (suggested readings) Part1 government: pg41-78 / Part1 war: pg131-137

Last edited:

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
ok I just finished it ...started late Sunday night and got half way through. Finished it tonight.
I want to mull over it some and possibly reread it so that I can give some quality/useful feedback.

QUICK THOUGHTS:
  • I always enjoy (catching / figuring out) which African ethnic groups you pull ideas and concepts from.
  • With Adwene I kept thinking Ghana or Ethiopia(battle of "Adwa") and with the Otjina I kept thinking Yoruba. When I saw the "Kente cloths", -hene, sigils, mentioned I moved more heavily towards Ghanaian influence.
  • I liked how you used the mande blacksmiths concepts of nyama in you telekinesis ideas. That said kept running through my mental index for African terms to replace the term "telekinesis" all together. worse comes to worse I'd replace telekinesis with nyama itself. (sidenote: i'd actually suggest reading "The Mande Blacksmiths: Knowledge, Power, and Art in West Africa" they have a couple of great concepts in there I found useful.)
  • Similar to "telekinesis" everytime I saw the word "chief"(i'd prefer using "hene" as general term) & "platoon" I kept going back to my index for African terms for military organization. (I suggest a book written by a Yoruba man named Samuel Johnson called - "The history of the yorubas": (suggested readings) Part1 government: pg41-78 / Part1 war: pg131-137

• The word Adwene roughly translates as mind in Twi and Otjini is taken from the word Otjinamuinyo which means an animal in the Herero language. I based the tribe's names from words in languages that they were inspired from. Each tribe is based on a real life African tribe. The Adwene are inspired by the Akan, more specifically the Asante. The Otjina are inspired by the Himba. Idk if you read the second chapter but the Suki are based on the Tuareg.

• I'm using Nyama as the "magic" for this story. Different tribes have different abilities due to their type of Nyama. Later chapters will explain this in detail. I can't exchange the word telekinesis for Nyama because it wouldn't make sense in this story. I'll check out that book though.

• In real life the king of the Asante is called the Asantehene and the suffix hene is often attached to roles of great importance. I'm not sure what the word "hene" means but it's not a title per se. I gave titles to the Adwene leadership such as Adwenehene for their king but finding words for the Otjina was a bit harder. In the 2nd chapter I used more specific terms than just chief, platoon or etc. I do need to look up more terms for African military structures and rankings though. I'll check that book out