"Creative" stuff yall working on?(writing, art, games, music, construction, cooking, gardening, etc)

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
Did an episode of my podcast on the Floyd George situation. I've mentioned before but I grew up in South Minneapolis and in that specific neighborhood. I have my pops as a guest and he has been an organizer and activist in MPLS for 30 some years and is in the midst of this organizing and planning protests. He's a real one with real bonafides. Even has a blog called fightthepowerjournal.com and is the editor of the Spokesman which is the black paper in Minneapolis. He's basically Furious Styles is what I'm saying. Anyways, check it out if you're interested.

Apple:
‎Wild Wild World: 3-7 Justice for George Floyd with Special Guest Mel Reeves on Apple Podcasts
Spotify
3-7 Justice for George Floyd with Special Guest Mel Reeves - Wild Wild World
191050.jpg

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
be1fd2083b97655e334a2b7face39b74.jpg

We Wear the Mask
BY PAUL LAURENCE DUNBAR

We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream otherwise,
We wear the mask!

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
@Turk I knew how that chapter was going to end because it's the first one but man I wanted that fight to happen.
:wow:

An African warrior Marrow, dope. I love seeing other powers in media or creative spins rather than our generic ones.

One thing I'll say is to commit to the beauty of death and bloodlust with your descriptions. You can go the oxymoron or ironic takes with the descriptions or tell it like it is but things like magenta eyes when describing anger throws me off.

There is a lot of info being dispersed to the reader I would recommend we get some of that through character interactions. Maybe we get a flashback to the planning of the attack and we get some personality of the Asafohene interacting with Dauntasi. Their culture or history can come up naturally in that sense. He is a lot of wisdom to throw away without offering much early on.

In fact, creating a character arc that concludes with how it did in this chapter for him is going to be helpful.

It is hard weaving the tale of a nation, it's people and a battle while trying to maintain your foot on the gas. But once you get into that mode stay with it. I was like

:picard:

When drained heads were being delivered but then the action returned to the baseline like a calming wave. You always want your water to be crashing the rocks with moments like that. Give me more. And it doesn't have to be action. Character thoughts or the dialogue, setting descriptions can all be characters. That's how I see it anyway.

I want to see more of your personal style whether that be through metaphors, similies, imagery or certain words. Only you know how you write and sound but I can tell -maybe presumptious of me- that you're not writing with the style that you could be.

It's like your guarding Curry, he has a signature of running around the court, setting up his teammates and getting that three off. No one else is like that. That's him and only he is like that. A signature of sorts.

Other than that keep up the good work. There is some grammar, tenses and punctuation issues here and there but you seem to know what direction you're going.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
@Turk I knew how that chapter was going to end because it's the first one but man I wanted that fight to happen.
:wow:

An African warrior Marrow, dope. I love seeing other powers in media or creative spins rather than our generic ones.

One thing I'll say is to commit to the beauty of death and bloodlust with your descriptions. You can go the oxymoron or ironic takes with the descriptions or tell it like it is but things like magenta eyes when describing anger throws me off.

There is a lot of info being dispersed to the reader I would recommend we get some of that through character interactions. Maybe we get a flashback to the planning of the attack and we get some personality of the Asafohene interacting with Dauntasi. Their culture or history can come up naturally in that sense. He is a lot of wisdom to throw away without offering much early on.

In fact, creating a character arc that concludes with how it did in this chapter for him is going to be helpful.

It is hard weaving the tale of a nation, it's people and a battle while trying to maintain your foot on the gas. But once you get into that mode stay with it. I was like

:picard:

When drained heads were being delivered but then the action returned to the baseline like a calming wave. You always want your water to be crashing the rocks with moments like that. Give me more. And it doesn't have to be action. Character thoughts or the dialogue, setting descriptions can all be characters. That's how I see it anyway.

I want to see more of your personal style whether that be through metaphors, similies, imagery or certain words. Only you know how you write and sound but I can tell -maybe presumptious of me- that you're not writing with the style that you could be.

It's like your guarding Curry, he has a signature of running around the court, setting up his teammates and getting that three off. No one else is like that. That's him and only he is like that. A signature of sorts.

Other than that keep up the good work. There is some grammar, tenses and punctuation issues here and there but you seem to know what direction you're going.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it :salute: I'd rep you again but I can't unfortunately :francis:

There was a lot of info but I tried not to go too overboard with it. There were a lot of unfamiliar words, but i tried to give context without spamming too much information. This world will be explained in depth as the story progresses.

I intend for this story to be written in a manner akin to Game of Thrones. There is no true main character, and it will feature the perspectives of dozens of different people.

The Asafohene was important but he wasn't that important. I really intended for him just to be a background character, but his character will be explored a little more in the next chapter that features Dauntasi.

I didn't realize I was kinda killing the action the way I had written it. I'll take that into account the next time I'm writing action.

You're not being presumptuous concerning the writing style. I'm experimenting with a different writing style.

Grammar and punctuation have always been my Achilles heel. I proofread and use grammarly but it doesn't always catch everything.