COVID-19 Pandemic (Coronavirus)

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I have posted this before but shutting down everything for a small time is absolutely necessary. That way we can flatten the curve and have only a small amount of cases continue to pop up. If we dont do it, the effects on the economy would be devastating. Think about it: If everything continues normally, how the hell is the economy gonna take survive if a huge ton of people get sick and are unable to work for around two weeks sitting at home/hospital recovering ? Whos gonna do certain jobs that require presence? A small time frame of hard measures will be „easier“ to take for the economy than a long time
I been saying this too. Take the short term economic hit for like a month. That’ll be much easier to recover from

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hearing two sides tbh. You hear it from him, it will be over by late Spring and gives reasons why.

No disrespect to this Doctor, and I only watched the first 5 mins or so but two things

1. he said the Spanish Flu pandemic played out in 3 months referring to the sept 1918 through jan 1919 period that has the most deaths but to me that’s inaccurate..

the 3 wave cycle was closer to 10 months and although the 3rd wave wasn’t as devastating as the 2nd it was still sizeable

spanish-flu-fatality-chart1.jpg

2. Over that time the Spanish Flu infected 27% of the population. I don’t think you see a complete phasing out of infections of SARS.cov2 after social distancing/quarantine measures until around this same amount of people get the virus or a vaccine is developed. When you take your foot off the gas, you find yourself in the place that China and other Asian countries are in now, where you have to ease in and out of lockdown or risk another equally bad wave of infections. This will be even more the case in the US where we value civil liberties much more than in those Eastern societies so non-pharmaceutical interventions will be less draconian and less effective. if we take the “flatten the curve” approach, it’s going to take longer than 3 months for this process to play out.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I was just thinking that I’m happy as hell I switched jobs back in 2018. I worked at a trade school that was for profit. They will not close until they have to and they need to students to come everyday to maintain their attendance so they don’t lose accreditation. They prolly gonna be fukked becuz they rely on getting new students to stay open. So glad I switched to the state government
:whew:

From here on out tho there’s gonna be a lot of telework going on. I can see the governor making it mandatory for only a portion of staffs to come in each day so everybody will be required to work 2-3 days from home each week to minimize the amount of people in the office

TDUBB

All Star
Daps
fukk yall panic buyers :pacspit:

Went to Walmart and i see every cart with toilet paper :pacspit:

Tried to buy flour and yall motherfukkers sold out every brand other than this next GMO all purpose white flour :pacspit:

This shyt better work the same as the regular white flour I buy otherwise shyt gonna hit the fan real quick :pacspit::pacspit::pacspit::pacspit::pacspit:

Fuk the toliet paper, just use Baby wipes.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Man, only 1% of the cases here are critical, and only 5% worldwide. As the number of cases goes up, the death rate will also decline. :francis: Idk Brehs, is shutting down for 18 months worth it?
What makes you think death rate will decline? The coronavirus seems treatable with proper medical care. The problem is that if the number spikes too quickly then hospitals are overrun and people can't get proper medical attention which could lead to the death rate rising. That's why the isolation is so important to give hospitals a chance to keep up and give proper medical attention to people who are infected.

Daps
I have posted this before but shutting down everything for a small time is absolutely necessary. That way we can flatten the curve and have only a small amount of cases continue to pop up. If we dont do it, the effects on the economy would be devastating. Think about it: If everything continues normally, how the hell is the economy gonna take survive if a huge ton of people get sick and are unable to work for around two weeks sitting at home/hospital recovering ? Whos gonna do certain jobs that require presence? A small time frame of hard measures will be „easier“ to take for the economy than a long time

Totally agree but just playing devil's advocate how long is a small time? I don't think much is going to change in two more weeks (even if mandatory lockdown for everyone) and they may need months of data to notice an appreciable decline in number of cases diagnosed (which will require wider testing availability) than we currently offer. I fully expect the number of new cases to continue to increase as long as testing increases in the meantime.

Flattening the curve eases the burden of disease at a given time but prolongs the overall duration vs. the other approach which is to "let" a bunch of people get infected early, develop immunity, and move on in a shorter period. Different approaches (either purposefully or by necessity) may work better in some countries than others (assuming each country existed in a vacuum without constant potential for introduction of new cases - international travel, etc). The former approach seems safer from the standpoint of strain on the healthcare system here in the US but over a longer period of time, and it'll be interesting to see how this prolonged approach will impact everything including the economy.

I mentioned this before but there are competing interests at play here with respect to public health and politics/economy, and I believe that's why we haven't seen a truly definitive stance taken by the US government when it comes to mandating a nationwide lockdown because there are too many unknowns for what that may do long-term to the economy, but I also believe that if we are going to start the lockdown there is no point in waiting any longer. We should just go ahead and start the clock on everyone.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, only 1% of the cases here are critical, and only 5% worldwide. As the number of cases goes up, the death rate will also decline. :francis: Idk Brehs, is shutting down for 18 months worth it?
How many times is this going to be asked ? This has been answered why this is serious

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
What makes you think death rate will decline? The coronavirus seems treatable with proper medical care. The problem is that if the number spikes too quickly then hospitals are overrun and people can't get proper medical attention which could lead to the death rate rising. That's why the isolation is so important to give hospitals a chance to keep up and give proper medical attention to people who are infected.
I think the biggest threat to hospitals right now are all the people who are flooding the ER thinking they got the Rona when they really have a cold

Sindicated

Knowledge is the Greatest gift
Daps
Reppin
opus dei
low key if they re tested flu samples of people who died of the flu in December wouldn’t be shocked if they tested positive for corona

it’s like aids :hubie:

How back in the day before it was common place people would just die of pneumonia then when they started testing etc it was ohh
Low key they might have, that could be why they doing all this shyt.