Could MS be making a play for Crystal Dynamics?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You’re really dumb if you think they won’t be outsourcing any of the development outside of these two studios when crystal dynamics itself doesn’t make games on it’s own.
Sooooo then what's the difference again?

If there are multiple outsourcing partners then how is it any different than normal outsourcing working outside of the name CD being involved?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

If there are multiple outsourcing partners then how is it any different than normal outsourcing working outside of the name CD being involved?

one is a major AAA development studio and the others are support studios. Thats the difference. CD is pretty much the primary developmenet team, VASG didn't make TLOU2 and Valkyrie entertainment didn't make God of War

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Because there’s a big difference between outsourcing in the usual terms where they help with certain animations etc and what CD are doing which is not outsourcing but a key development partner.

edit: I’m pretty sure other posters have explained to you numerous times the difference yet you keep acting obtuse :stopitslime:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
one is a major AAA development studio and the others are support studios. Thats the difference. CD is pretty much the primary developmenet team, VASG didn't make TLOU2

Because there’s a big difference between outsourcing in the usual terms where they help with certain animations etc and what CD are doing which is not outsourcing but a key development partner.

Again what is the difference how is one worse than the other? TLOUS for instance had more than a dozen companies out sourced to work on things. Would it have been worse to have majority naughty dog and say Capcom working on the game? Does that mean naughty dog is incapable? Outsourcing bits and pieces to dozens of studios sounds way more "incompetent" than outsourcing to another triple A studio and more instead of a a dozen smaller ones.

When I 1st read this I was like wow that's cool, companies don't usually outsource to other big companies.

But the narrative was , "lol MS needs help" as if outsourcing doesn't happen every game.

Now it's, "well something is wrong because they said co developing or partnering" they must not be able to handle it...

A bunch of wild ways to twist good news into a bad sign

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Again what is the difference how is one worse than the other? TLOUS for instance had more than a dozen companies out sourced to work on things. Would it have been worse to have majority naughty dog and say Capcom working on the game? Does that mean naughty dog is incapable? Outsourcing bits and pieces to dozens of studios sounds way more "incompetent" than outsourcing to another triple A studio and more instead of a a dozen smaller ones.

When I 1st read this I was like wow that's cool, companies don't usually outsource to other big companies.

But the narrative was , "lol MS needs help" as if outsourcing doesn't happen every game.

Now it's, "well something is wrong because they said co developing or partnering" they must not be able to handle it...

A bunch of wild ways to twist good news into a bad sign

because Naughty Dog keeps what makes their games unique to them, unique. Theres a difference between having a bunch of hired help and between letting someone take over the drivers seat completely. Sony studios don't have "co-development" teams because each team has their own established way of making games specific to them.

when this game comes out, i won't attribute the end product to The Initiative, i would attribute it to a CD. Without CD we still have no idea how the project after Perfect Dark turns out.

if you like the first two tomb raider reboot games and avengers you have nothing to worry about

The truth is that Microsoft for as much money as they have couldn't put together a studio big enough to deliver what they promised. Talent acquisition isn't easy, especially for senior level leads they would need to make a big game like this. Combined with a lot of their sony guys going back to sony studios, it makes it pretty clear they needed a lot of help to make this game.

Crystal Dynamics saved them pretty much

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
because Naughty Dog keeps what makes their games unique to them, unique. Theres a difference between having a bunch of hired help and between letting someone take over the drivers seat completely. Sony studios don't have "co-development" teams because each team has their own established way of making games specific to them.

when this game comes out, i won't attribute the end product to The Initiative, i would attribute it to a CD. Without CD we still have no idea how the project after Perfect Dark turns out

if you like the first two tomb raider reboot games and avengers you have nothing to worry about
You probably could have assumed that based on the led.

Kinda why it makes even more sense that he's working with people, personalities and software he's use to.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Using support studios for sound recording and asset creation isn't the same as what's happening here. CD seems to be developing the game proper. You can remove The Initiative completely and you'd still get a complete game, whereas with SSM and ND, that's not the case.

I'm not surprised another developer had to be brought in to clean up that mess. Throwing a bunch of "names" together isn't necessarily going to lead to a good game, especially when they start leaving.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Using support studios for sound recording and asset creation isn't the same as what's happening here. CD seems to be developing the game proper. You can remove The Initiative completely and you'd still get a complete game, whereas with SSM and ND, that's not the case.

I'm not surprised another developer had to be brought in to clean up that mess. Throwing a bunch of "names" together isn't necessarily going to lead to a good game, especially when they start leaving.
Except for the fact that you made all this up :ehh:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Not sure how this proves your prior ramblings.

A new studio had to hire a bunch of people OMG what a revelation.

:mjlol:

The thing that makes it worth talking about is these hires were part of its marketing cycle that you fan boys kept bragging about. Talking about they were putting together the dream team of video games to make the biggest game ever. Then a bunch of nikkas left and Microsoft realized the 50 or so people they have couldn’t get it it done so they pretty much hired another studio to make the game in the end.

…and the studio they hired isn’t one people get excited over. So you can see how this new AAAA game is starting to look funny in the light? I see the xbox street team on twitter trying their best to clean the story up.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Not sure how this proves your prior ramblings.

A new studio had to hire a bunch of people OMG what a revelation.

:mjlol:
You just can't hire a bunch of renowned people, throw them all together and expect it all to work flawlessly. We see now that's it's not working. We saw it with 343i too. This seems to indicate MS doesn't know how to manage home-grown studios. Or how to even grow them.