Coronavirus Thread: Worldwide Pandemic

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
:francis:
well, it is accelerating now here in namibia.
i know it is not anywhere near as big as in the rest of the world but we were stuck at 2 cases for weeks.
yesterday it became 4 and today, it is now 7.
country is officially on lockdown from this friday until 16/7 april.
i hope the hot weather theory about the corona is true.
another thing that is advantageous to us namibians is the fact that we are not as densely populated as say a new york or some european countries.
825,419 km² and we are around 3 million people.
i'm definitely sending my mom to the farm now even if i have to force her.
guess i have to do some more shopping before friday:francis:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Scientists working on $25 coronavirus test

From CNN's Nick Paton Walsh

Scientists at Oxford University have developed a 30-minute test for COVID-19, which can be done anywhere. The raw materials for it cost about $25.

A team at the Engineering Science Laboratory, working with partner medics in China had an 8 week head-start on developing the test, which uses a mix of chemicals and enzymes which turn from pink to yellow in color in the presence of the virus.

The test has a huge advantage in both its speed, but also because the chemicals only need to be kept at 65°C (or 150°F) for half an hour, which can be done easily in any hospital, or even eventually at home.

While there are hurdles ahead, the test may be able to complete clinical trials in the coming days.

"We have 3 things to do," Professor Zhengfang Cui, who led the team, said. "The first is to get clinical trials. We just started those here at Oxford University Hospital. The second thing is regulatory approval, which is based on the number of tests done.

"The third is to get industry partners to implement large scale manufacture. For that, we need clean rooms and manufacturing facilities. And then we can roll out he product," Zhenfang said, adding that he hoped the steps can be completed in 2 to 4 weeks.

Watch:

Scientists working on $25 coronavirus test
@DEAD7 the free market is responding :wow: