Coronavirus Thread: Worldwide Pandemic

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
There is no dealing with this like it's the flu. Hospitals will be overran because of covid.

The “lockdowns” were only to help the hospitals not go over capacity. That is it. We did nothing to stop the virus spread.

100% agree with this. But what I'm getting at is this. We lockdown, we slow cases and don't overrun our hospitals, but then the economy goes into the gutter.

We reopen, cases start to rise and the hospitals are in trouble but then the economy gets restarted. Until there's a vaccine we'll just be alternate between opening and closing up the economy.

If we wanted a true lockdown, then it would have had to be like China did where there is no movement whatsoever. Trump fumbled the bag big time. The time to have locked down was probably in Jan/Feb when the first cases were reported in the US.

We're in between a rock and a hard place that's just the fact. You have to tow the line between public health and people's economic livelihoods. People still gotta get out there and get their daily bread. If the Federal reserve wants to rain manna from the sky in the form of free money to tide people over, then cool, keep a lockdown in perpetuity.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
That's been a failed strategy so far and will continue to be as long as America is so stubborn.

Everybody knows the economy can't stay closed forever, but the issue was never reopening. It was getting people acclimated to the 'new normal.' But because Americans are idiots and wanted to go back to life like nothing happened and it was February again we're just gonna go through the cycle of closing, reopening, cases spike, closing again.

If that's the case, then the lion share of the blame is on the citizens then. States harbour some blame but if people aren't doing their part then:yeshrug:

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
100% agree with this. But what I'm getting at is this. We lockdown, we slow cases and don't overrun our hospitals, but then the economy goes into the gutter.

We reopen, cases start to rise and the hospitals are in trouble but then the economy gets restarted. Until there's a vaccine we'll just be alternate between opening and closing up the economy.

People still gotta get out there and get their daily bread. If the Federal reserve wants to rain manna from the sky in the form of free money to tide people over, then cool, keep a lockdown in perpetuity.
See that's the thing it doesn't need to be an until there's a vaccine. Other countries have handled this in a way that proved you don't need a vaccine to gradually open stuff up. It's the combination of American individualism and government failures that are doing us in. I think you're underestimating the cascading effects of overwhelmed hospitals that will prevent people from going out there to get their daily bread as you put it.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:comeon: so everyone whos trying to open their business so they dont fail permanently, doesnt care about their staff or their customers. they're doing it out of desperation, not indifference

i dont have the answers, its a lose/lose situation :yeshrug: im just not sure how much longer they'll get people to listen to it. personally im not going out so its whatever to me

In a hotspot? A bar? Yea, I'd say they don't care. And I realize it's a difficult situation but if you're still trying to open in an area where the shyt is spiking like crazy, how do you with a straight face ask people to come work for you and risk their lives?

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If that's the case, then the lion share of the blame is on the citizens then. States harbour some blame but if people aren't doing their part then:yeshrug:

I don't disagree.

A big portion of the reopen crowd was like, "We've stayed home and social distanced for two months now. We done with that shyt. :camby:"

However, there were people that felt like they had no choice but to go back to work because the government wasn't doing its job. The agreement was supposed to be, "You [the people] stay home to fight the spread of coronavirus. We [the government] will help you take care of what you need in the meantime." But the government didn't hold up their end of the bargain, with stimulus checks going out late, people waiting months to get UI (if they can even get through to apply), and letting big business yank all the PPP loans.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
I never bought into the whole weather slows down transmission. When people in LA were still contracting it in 80-90 degree weather.
People were hoping this virus will be like the flu or common cold where the protein that holds the virus melts in warm weather, which is why people don't catch the flu or cold often in spring and summer.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
In a hotspot? A bar? Yea, I'd say they don't care. And I realize it's a difficult situation but if you're still trying to open in an area where the shyt is spiking like crazy, how do you with a straight face ask people to come work for you and risk their lives?

Also, it's worth noting that the choice doesn't necessarily have to be binary. The reason it's between letting people get sick or closing down for businesses is because of a number of missteps from leaders...Pramila Jayapal's paycheck guarantee proposal comes to mind as well as the fact that we still don't have the sort of testing and contact tracing in place that every successful country implemented.