Cormega Gives His Opinion on Jay Z's 'Reasonable Doubt' Album

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pardon my ignorance but are there any other debut albums that are pretty much entirely retrospective? Jayz was reflecting on his past dealings on his debut album, lol, think about that…most nigs debuts are full of shhit they’re doing and living…then the second album is kinda the reflective, how it is having money now and shhit type jawn. Jayz came in already full of stories about having money and living it and, as a relatively young man, looking back on it in hindsight. Shhit is a different type of album and he is/was a different type of cat in rap, even when I loathed this kid I knew he was official, on the hustling side
Kinda Snoop on Doggystyle. From the intro talking about how he was leaving the drug game, to telling stories about when he sold drugs. The album had the feel of a hustler that left the game to become a rap superstar and enjoy his new life.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Yeah, Columbia treated rap like an afterthought back then...though it did have the nice side effect of Nas actually getting better splits than most artists back then and why he was able to get his own crib even with modest sales while a lot of other cats in the same bracket were still living in the projects. Nas moved out of QB while Redman with two gold albums moved to QB at the same time :russ:

Facts.

That's why I was saying, for us back then, we all thought these were hit albums. You couldn't tell us back then that everybody wasn't buying Illmatic. We had no idea how much any of these albums sold. We just knew we loved them. But labels didn't want to spend any more than they had to. Erick Sermon just said that Def Jam wouldn't spend more money to take EPMD from gold to platinum. Q-Tip always talks about having hit records with Tribe, and still living with his mom, in the basement. LOL!!

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Kinda Snoop on Doggystyle. From the intro talking about how he was leaving the drug game, to telling stories about when he sold drugs. The album had the feel of a hustler that left the game to become a rap superstar and enjoy his new life.

That whole intro skit was taken from Superfly though.

Damn near word for word.

:russ:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Yup!

I knew both of them! The sisters. LOL!! But like you said, they were renting office space and paying for shoots and videos with their own paper. Studio time at D&D, marketing, promotion, paying producers, etc. That all came from them. Even Priority told them they couldn't give them anything to travel in other than to share a van with mad other artists. So Jay paid for their own vehicles to travel for the promo tour. This is '95-'96. So for them to sell that many records, after doing all the work, speaks to how many people they touched on their own and without any major label help. Definitely not easy.
LOL wow that's crazy you know them too. That's family! We actually lived with them for a short while.

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That whole intro skit was taken from Superfly though.

Damn near word for word.

:russ:
Yeah, I know, but he still made other references throughout the album and had stories like Lodi Dodi(which I know is a remake too) and Murder was the Case that felt like he was referencing his old life. The whole album felt like a celebration to me that he made it as a rapper. "I used to sell loot, I used to shoot hoops. But now I make hits every single day with that nikka, the diggy Dr. Dre"

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
They were.

But only like 5% of the indie game was able to actually sell anything. Nas did what he did because Columbia wasn't willing to invest more into the project. They did the same with Big L and Kurious. But they were just being cheap. They had the money, but didn't believe people would buy it. So they didn't market or promote anyone they had back then. So when you think about how much work Jay and Dame had to put in, to get on the radar on their own, and without a major label like other dudes had, that sh*t is kinda wild in retrospect.

I copped RD the first day it dropped, for like $15 from The Wiz. I was still a kid. That was my damn lunch money! But I knew I needed that album, lol. They had a lot of us out there going and picking that up. I still have my OG CD.

When did you cop IWW though :patrice:

I think there's a disconnect between the northeast and the rest of the country on this. RD was not popping like that out west.To be fair same can be said about Illmatic. Difference was Illmatic had sort of a legendary reputation off the 5 mics and it's reception among hardcore hip hop fans but it wasn't something you heard getting bumped out in public or talked about much.

E-40 In A Major Way was an independent classic out here that eventually went platinum too but I doubt that shyt was a major topic of conversation in the Tri-State :lolbron: I seen the way most east coast dudes talk about 40 on here.

I think that's where the push back come from. You get certain Hov fans going overboard like that shyt was seen as a Chronic or RTD instant classic type album from day one. Not the case in most parts of the country.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Dog, Nas and Mega BEEN squashed their shyt, what does this have to do with anything?

Sorry breh I'm oldschool. beef is everlasting. even if squashed u gotta tread lightly.

especially when 1 breh is regarded as the GOAT and another is basically a slam poetry act with street credit.

lowkey this could be interpreted as a sub. he jocked jay-z for "knowing what bricks was" and being suited and booted up.

talking about how its rare to see an MC thats "real."

Not sure how things go down in queens.

But someone like J-hood gonna starve to death for going against the grain.

Thats cool that yall cant read in-between the lines; or are just docile or whatever tho.

You never supposed to go against the home team ever in life.

Lets say they did squash it or whatever; they had beef. Jay and Nas had beef. And now you publicly on the brehs dikk?

What is that?

Sorry man my principles don't allow that.

Long story short; hoe shyt.

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great writer but terrible rapper. He still made classics. He is just technically bad. Mad punch ins and delivery was never good

This sounds haterish but is true if we're being completely honest... even as a big mega fan. Never has the separation between writing and flow/delivery been greater. Lowkey he sounded his best on that 7 track album he put out...

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
When did you cop IWW though :patrice:

I think there's a disconnect between the northeast and the rest of the country on this. RD was not popping like that out west.To be fair same can be said about Illmatic. Difference was Illmatic had sort of a legendary reputation off the 5 mics and it's reception among hardcore hip hop fans but it wasn't something you heard getting bumped out in public or talked about much.

E-40 In A Major Way was an independent classic out here that eventually went platinum too but I doubt that shyt was a major topic of conversation in the Tri-State :lolbron: I seen the way most east coast dudes talk about 40 on here.

I think that's where the push back come from. You get certain Hov fans going overboard like that shyt was seen as a Chronic or RTD instant classic type album from day one. Not the case in most parts of the country.

First day it dropped too.

Back then, we used to study the releases board in HMV and memorize all the release dates. Get our little money together and go buy these albums the minute they came out, as kids. You didn't want to be the one who didn't have the album and everybody else was talking about the sh*t, lol. You had to get it.

Last edited: