Considering their tiny population are Jamaicans the most influential people ever?

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Then argue with that person then instead of projected whatever it is that's bothering you.

Maroons in Jamaica have a distinct culture from the rest of Jamaica btw so while maroon to you might simply mean a runaway for a Jamaican there is a different connotation.

Seeing as we are using text to connunicate I have no idea which if the four meanings of special you mean. Personally, you using makes read your posts in s child's voice so to clear the confusion use clear word or define exactly what you mean by special.

And geechee are *unique* in that they developed a separate culture than other African Americans
You're playing games!

This is usual for you, though. I remember a few years ago, when we were talking about the same bullshyt on here, and I said that for the next election white supremacists will be using immigration to unite, and use blacks to help, and it would hurt black foreigners. YOU was the main one laughing saying I'm talking crazy, and posting dumb ass memes to get everyone to laugh at me.

Who was right, thought?:troll:

You are not dumb, but you have need to be right, and you play dumb, but you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I remember ANOTHER thread about this dumb shyt, and someone tried to blame black Americans for shytting on Haitians back in the day, and I made it known a lot of those people had Caribbean backgrounds, and you came in saying why can't we just admit we shytted on Haitians? One Haitians explained how he used to get shytted on, and I explained it was from all black people not just AA, and the reason why yall like to just make it seem like us was to give the impression that the islands have unity, but that is far from the truth. The guy agreed with me, and you had nothing else to say.

Like I posted, you are not dumb, just don't like to admit shyt when you are not given a good look, so you play these head games!

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
You're playing games!

This is usual for you, though. I remember a few years ago, when we were talking about the same bullshyt on here, and I said that for the next election white supremacists will be using immigration to unite, and use blacks to help, and it would hurt black foreigners. YOU was the main one laughing saying I'm talking crazy, and posting dumb ass memes to get everyone to laugh at me.

Who was right, thought?:troll:

You are not dumb, but you have need to be right, and you play dumb, but you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I remember ANOTHER thread about this dumb shyt, and someone tried to black black Americans for shytting on Haitians back in the day, and I made it known a lot of those people had Caribbean backgrounds, and you came in saying why can't we just admit we shytting on Haitians? One Haitians explained how he used to get shytted on, and I explained it was from all black people not just AA, and the reason why yall like to just make it seem like us was to give the impression that the islands have unity, but that is far from the truth. The guy agreed with me, and you had nothing else to say.

Like I posted, you are not dumb, just don't like to admit shyt when you are not given a good look, so you play these head games!
What thread was this

And I stand by the Haitian comments

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What thread was this

And I stand by the Haitian comments
Man, i ain't going through all of that shyt, but I know it was you because your name is easy to remember, and you had that Camron avi where he was making a stink face. I never forgot it because all the west indians was getting mad at me for calling shyt that was obvious. At least 88m3 admitted I was right last year when trump was running, but when I would @ you, you just ignored me.

As far as the Haitain shyt, you made a thread about Caribbean not being united, or some shyt, right after that post so I know it had some effect on you, but you wouldn't even admit it, if the guy didn't agree with me. I was testing you to see if you would do it, but you was playing games like you are now.

Lets just call it quits, this shyt is tiring

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Man, i ain't going through all of that shyt, but I know it was you because your name is easy to remember, and you had that Camron avi where he was making a stink face. I never forgot it because all the west indians was getting mad at me for calling shyt that was obvious. At least 88m3 admitted I was right last year when trump was running, but when I would @ you, you just ignored me.

As far as the Haitain shyt, you made a thread about Caribbean not being united, or some shyt, right after that post so I know it had some effect on you, but you wouldn't even admit it, if the guy didn't agree with me. I was testing you to see if you would do it, but you was playing games like you are now.

Lets just call it quits, this shyt is tiring
I never had a camron avy (I had a Jim Jones avy)!and have no idea who you are bro

That's not a diss, this is a large site so I'm not going to remember everyone

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I'm not from the south so I wouldn't know. I don't think whites and blacks have the same culture here tho
there's differences and overlap between nationality ethnicity and culture.

Let's take Biggie as an example :
Born in the US
Parents are from Jamaica

He'd be most accurately described as Jamaican American. However, we can assume he identified as American or African American. Now African American is an ethnicity but all black people are also grouped under this label.

However there are plenty of kids of Jamaican heritage that identify with both Jamaica and the us and have more connections to Jamaica then Biggie so they may identify with their. Culture/ethnicity (Jamaican) as a way to either accurately describe their identity or to differentiate themselves

simply put, you are what your parents are, so Biggie was a Jamaican, who happened to be more Afram culturally speaking.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:gucci::gucci: Dunno why this turned the way it did. I had a thread saying the same thing Per Capita, Jamaica Has Got to Be in The Top 5 As Most Influential Country

With a country of 2.7 million, how is it now turning into a vs AA whose population is 40 million.

The OP clearly stated considering their tiny population........:jbhmm:

Anyways, Jamaica we in this! :blessed:

because some people can't/refuse to grasp the simple concept that afram cultural influence is 10x bigger than what jamaicans export/exported around the world. So the afram per capita influence is undeniably bigger when you factor in diversity of influence, range of influence and how much older these influences are considering Jamaica had no real global impact prior to the 1960's.

a real simple way to look at this is add or remove aframs/jamaicans historically and see what changes on a global scale

remove aframs =

-no rock, dominate pop music of whites
-no jazz, the first true global takeover music that influenced everything from music to fashion to civil rights-global politics
-no british pop music as we know it
-no british invasion
-no jamaican pop music as we know it, which only came into vogue since the 1960s
- no modern EDM music/dance/modern club music and culture

remove jamaican=

-still have rock, dominant white pop music
-still have british pop music
-still have british invasion
-still have afram pop music as we know it, the most dominant global musical revolution since the mid to late 19th century
-still have edm music/dance/modern club music and culture

........let's not even get into civil rights, humanitarianism, the arts outside of music and sports:beli:

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
because some people can't/refuse to grasp the simple concept that afram cultural influence is 10x bigger than what jamaicans export/exported around the world. So the afram per capita influence is undeniably bigger when you factor in diversity of influence, range of influence and how much older these influences are considering Jamaica had no real global impact prior to the 1960's.

a real simple way to look at this is add or remove aframs/jamaicans historically and see what changes on a global scale

remove aframs =

-no rock, dominate pop music of whites
-no jazz, the first true global takeover music that influenced everything from music to fashion to civil rights-global politics
-no british pop music as we know it
-no british invasion
-no jamaican pop music as we know it, which only came into vogue since the 1960s
- no modern EDM music/dance/modern club music and culture

remove jamaican=

-still have rock, dominant white pop music
-still have british pop music
-still have british invasion
-still have afram pop music as we know it, the most dominant global musical revolution since the mid to late 19th century
-still have edm music/dance/modern club music and culture

........let's not even get into civil rights, humanitarianism, the arts outside of music and sports:beli:

Interesting.

posterchild336

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
when u look at this thread and think of the hate its a real crab n the barrel like mentality people have...especially the bitter onea..i am not calling any names :sas2:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
cont from jazz fashion influence

Jazz Cats and Their Hats

A hat has great utility. It can keep the sun out of your eyes and protect your head. With flaps attached, it can even keep your ears warm. But we live in a society where hats really aren’t about utility anymore, instead they create the opportunity for us to show the world which causes/organizations we support and, of course, our favorite teams. The cowboy hat worn by non-cowboys is entirely another subject … but then I don’t understand quantum physics either.

The ever-present baseball cap which has morphed into a traveling billboard is a marketing manager’s dream come true. Many of us will actually pay to advertise someone’s brand. When I was a kid, adults wore hats not only for utility, but as fashion statements, to signify their social standing. Instead of announcing to the world the identity of your favorite team, your hat could say, “I can afford season tickets.” Down through history people have wanted to communicate their wealth and social status and hats have served them well. I happened upon a picture of Abe Lincoln wearing his famous stovepipe (top) hat. He was our tallest president at 6-foot-4 and the crown of his hat was seven inches high. Rail thin, standing erect with his hat on, there was almost seven feet of vertical to observe. Some say it was his way to be seen in a crowd. Whatever his motivation, his top hat was his trademark and the top hat continued to symbolize authority and prestige well into the 1930s.

Lester-Young-LIFE-1944.jpg

Lester Young

In 1934 a dapper Duke Ellington was photographed wearing a top hat, rakishly tilted to the side (as pictured above). The iconic image projected elegance and sophistication and in a very racist society, it was Duke’s way of saying “I am one of you.” The brand image worked. Duke was accepted by white audiences.

However, in the 1930s to 1960s, most other African American jazz musicians were seen as undesirable outsiders. Jazz had been labeled as the devil’s music, so jazz musicians took the path of least resistance, developing their brand based upon the concept of being part of a subculture – the hipster – outside of the cultural mainstream, but stylish and at the cutting edge of what was happening. They succeeded by talking in a hip way (“the cat wants his bread before he blows his axe”) and by wearing jazzy clothes, the oversized zoot suit, for one, to signify their hipness. But it was their lids (initially, jazz slang for hats, not grass) where jazz musicians were able to set themselves apart.

The legendary tenor saxophonist Lester “Prez” Young invented much of the hipsters’ jargon and was known for his ever present pork pie hat – circular low crown, flat on top with a brim slightly turned up. “Goodbye Pork Pie Hat” was written as an elegy upon Prez’ death and has become a jazz standard. Prez was so synonymous with being hip that Frank Sinatra wore a pork pie hat and today Marcus Miller’s trademark is the same style.

One of the most celebrated jazz musicians of all time was world famous trumpeter John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie, one of the “inventors” of be-bop and Afro-Cuban jazz. In the 1940s, his trademark look was the bent trumpet, horn-rimmed glasses, goatee, puffed cheeks when playing … and a beret. The beret is a soft, round, flat-crowned hat with modern origins in the Basque country and France. The adoption by the beatniks in the 1950s of jazz jargon and the look of the hipster with a goatee and beret can be traced back to Dizzy.

Thelonious_Monk%2C_Minton%27s_Playhouse%2C_New_York%2C_N.Y.%2C_ca._Sept._1947_%28William_P._Gottlieb_06191%29.jpg

Thelonius Monk

And then there was Thelonious Sphere Monk, an eccentric but brilliant jazz giant whose piano playing and compositions changed the course of jazz. He had a cult following and was one of the few jazz musicians to ever be on the cover of “Time” magazine. Monk had a distinctive look with a goatee, sunglasses (worn in indoors) and was almost always wearing a unique hat. Hats were his trademark and early photos show Monk sporting a beret, but the crown on his lid was taller than Dizzy’s and the jazz tune “Hat and Beard” was written in his honor. He, too, influenced the beatniks and was seem as an arty bohemian. He was once photographed wearing a Chinese coolie hat, but he went through periods when he wore fedoras, trilbies (a fedora with small brim and higher crown), fur hats and skullcaps. Monk wasn’t the only musician to wear a skullcap. Many jazz musicians who have converted to Islam wear skullcaps. NEA Jazz Master pianist Ahmad Jamal (Fritz Jones) is a convert and has worn a skullcap for decades. The skullcap and the African kufi (brimless, short and rounded) are also worn by many African American jazz musicians who aren’t Muslims as a way to symbolize their connection to Africa.

Then there is Dr. Lonnie Smith, who wears a turban. He isn’t a doctor and he is not from India, but he sure can play the Hammond B-3 organ. What a trademark.

Jazz Cats and Their Hats – Vail Jazz

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

hip4.jpg

The real hipsters – a look at 1940s hepcats

If you head to London’s Dalston or NYC’s Williamsburg you’ll be sure to see dudes with beards wearing Wayfarers and riding fixie bikes with their long-haired girlfriends walking their dachshund nearby.

Hipsters are the latest urban subculture that’s swept across the globe from Berlin to Melbourne, yet hipsters are not a new phenomenon. Starting out in the early Forties, jazz fans – especially followers of bebop – were referred to as hipsters or hepcats. They were known for their cutting edge dress style, their easy attitute to sex and their love for getting high. Who were these original hipsters? And did they really live the prototypical sex, drugs and rock’n’roll lifestyle long before rock’n’roll was invented?

The words ‘hep’ and ‘hip’ both emerged in the US jazz scene during the Thirties, originally meaning ‘in the know’, used to describe those part of the scene or real fans of jazz who knew about the music and its musicians. In 1939 Cab Calloway published his Hepster’s Dictionary, which defines hep cat as “a guy who knows all the answers, understands jive”. Similarly hipsters were defined as “characters who like hot jazz.”

By the beginning of the Forties, young white kids began to seek out the underground jazz scene, breaking away from the white mainstream with its racial segregation and strict moral attitude towards sex. Their idols were bebop pioneers – sax player Charlie ‘Bird’ Parker, pianist Thelonios Monk and trumpet player Dizzy Gillespie.

With their dark-rimmed glasses, trademark berets and pinstripe suits, the sartorial impact of the these jazz men was enormous. Their style of dress was aspirational, cool and confident. Unlike the swing entertainers of the Thirties in their zoot suits, the bebop pioneers saw themselves as serious artists, as intellectuals with cultural and political opinions, and this attitude translated into their look. Just like their music, their style was subcultural, outside of and opposed to the current system.

Perhaps for the first time ever, a look that was African-American of origin transcended into white American culture. Although never mainstream, it influenced the intellectual bohemians, the young artists and writers who would become known as the Beats in the Fifties.

Unlike today’s hipsters, the hep cats of the Forties wore their shades without a hint of irony, they smoked joints and hung out in tiny jazz clubs because they felt sure there had to be more to life than the post-war American dream of a house in the burbs and a dull but safe job for life. It wasn’t until the Fifties, when white rock’n’roll stars like Elvis translated this ennui and nagging boredom into a – far less political – attitude that was adopted by teenagers across the globe.

Today, the hep cat styles is an often forgotten subculture, but if you’ve ever worn a beret and dark-rimmed glasses or paired a neckerchief with your shirt, you’ve referenced the original hipsters of the Forties.

Beatnik

Since 1958, the terms Beat Generation and Beat have been used to describe the antimaterialistic literary movement that began with Kerouac in the 1940s, stretching on into the 1960s. The Beat philosophy of antimaterialism and soul searching influenced 1960s musicians such as Bob Dylan, the early Pink Floyd, and The Beatles.

However, the soundtrack of the beat movement was the modern jazz pioneered by saxophonist Charlie Parker and trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie that the media dubbed Bebop. Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg spent much of their time in New York jazz clubs such as the Royal Roost, Minton's Playhouse, Birdland, and the Open Door, shooting the breeze and digging the music. Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and Miles Davis rapidly became what Ginsberg dubbed "Secret Heroes" to this group of aesthetes. The Beat authors borrowed much from the jazz/hipster slang of the 1940s, peppering their works with words such as "square", "cats", "cool", and "dig", but jazz meant much more than just a vocabulary to the Beat writers. To them, jazz was a way of life, a completely different and improvisational way to approach the creative process.

At the time the term Beatnik was coined, a trend existed among young college students to adopt the stereotype, with men adopting the trademark look of bebop trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie by wearing goatees, horn-rimmed glasses, and berets, and rolling their own cigarettes and playing bongos. Fashions for women included black leotards and wearing their hair long, straight and unadorned in a rebellion against the middle class culture of beauty salons
. Marijuana use was associated with the subculture, and during the 1950s, Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception further influenced views on drugs.

By 1960, a small "beatnik" group in Newquay, Cornwall, England (including a young Wizz Jones), had attracted the attention and the abhorrence of their neighbours for growing their hair to a length past the shoulders, resulting in a television interview with Alan Whicker on BBC television's Tonight series.[17]

The Beat philosophy was generally countercultural and antimaterialistic and it stressed the importance of bettering one's inner self over and above material possessions. Some Beat writers, such as Alan Watts, began to delve into Eastern religions such as Buddhism or Taoism. Politics tended to be liberal, left-wing and anti-war, with support for causes such as desegregation (although many of the figures associated with the original Beat movement, particularly Kerouac, embraced libertarian and conservative ideas). An openness to African American culture and arts was apparent in literature and music, notably jazz. While Caen and other writers implied a connection with communism, no obvious or direct connection occurred between the beat philosophy (as expressed by the leading authors of this literary movement) and the philosophy of the communist movement, other than the antipathy that both philosophies shared towards capitalism.

lYZWxoC.jpg

wq3UUc7.jpg

2Jxv5UQ.jpg

Admirers of Dizzy Gillespie, jazz orchestra leader who evolved a style called “bebop” is enjoying the nightclub performance by his orchestra 1948

Oq2biQB.jpg

Actress Ava Gardner in Hollywood nightclub, wearing beret, horn-rimmed spectacles, and simulating a goatee, to signify admiration of Dizzy Gillespie, bebop King and actor Howord Duff who is in group 1948

a13d1223bb2042518f053a925286b589.jpg

Carolyn Jones goes Beatnik (c.1961)

thelonious-monk-and-howard-mcghee-mintons-playhouse-new-york-n-y-ca-sept-1947.jpeg

Thelonious Monk and Howard McGhee, Minton's Playhouse, New York, N.Y., ca. Sept. 1947

2qaDhD6.jpg

Teen-age girls in blue jeans, wearing the beret, horn rimmed glasses and goatee affected by Dizzy Gillespie, “bebop” music king, stand to have his autograph 1948

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
My guy, OP created this thread celebrating JA culture's ability to transcend .

Literally one post in and there was somebody trying to jostle AAs into the conversation.
Jamaica is used to being the big fish amongst the caribbean islands.

Ya tried to throw your weight around us. And we aptly gave the :camby:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who outside of the Caribbeans actually gives a fukk about reggae?

BIG's influence pales in comparison to Tupac's influence and I respect Usain Bolt but people only give a fukk about his sport once every 4 years

African Americans the most influential people by far, sorry! We're your favorite black people's favorite black people.
you people forgetting that it was children of Jamaicans that even invented hiphop?