COMMUNITY FINAL SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD... #andamovie

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

:blessed: I wished Netflix did this with their shows.

Me too man.

That whole binge watching thing is cool for watching old shyt, but new shows should be released weekly.

I know if I was writing a show for them I'd want it to be.
I'm hoping to god, that Netflix does weekly episodes when they start airing the Marvel shows.

Last edited:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I'm hoping to god, that Netflix does weekly episodea when they start airing the Marvel shows.

I don't know why they don't.

I know they want to differentiate themselves from standard TV, but they must have noticed that they only get a 3, max 4 week run of heat for their shows. Take Orange Is the New Black for an example.

1 week before it drops, they announce it's coming, people are psyched, then for max, 3 weeks after, it's hot, then literally nobody talks about it after that for a full year.

Either people/blogs have seen it and talked about it, or don't want to spoil it for people who aren't binging over one weekend.

If they dropped it every Friday, they'd get burn and free promo for 10 weeks minimum.

:yeshrug:

Flex Kavana

Banned
Daps

I know they want to differentiate themselves from standard TV, but they must have noticed that they only get a 3, max 4 week run of heat for their shows. Take Orange Is the New Black for an example.

1 week before it drops, they announce it's coming, people are psyched, then for max, 3 weeks after, it's hot, then literally nobody talks about it after that for a full year.

Either people/blogs have seen it and talked about it, or don't want to spoil it for people who aren't binging over one weekend.

If they dropped it every Friday, they'd get burn and free promo for 10 weeks minimum.

Spot on. Watercooler talk is still important where ever it may be.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

Exactly. Game of Thrones comes on on a Sunday, it's still being talked/blogged/written about until Wednesday, Thursday is a dead day, then Friday is ":krs: Y'all gonna watch GoT on Sunday" day.

That watercooler talk is the reason its rating rose between S3 and S4. It wasn't a smash when it started, but that weekly buzz was too much for people out of the loop to ignore, so they fell in line.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

:blessed: I wished Netflix did this with their shows.

Me too man.

That whole binge watching thing is cool for watching old shyt, but new shows should be released weekly.

I know if I was writing a show for them I'd want it to be.

I'm hoping to god, that Netflix does weekly episodes when they start airing the Marvel shows.

Exactly. Game of Thrones comes on on a Sunday, it's still being talked/blogged/written about until Wednesday, Thursday is a dead day, then Friday is ":krs: Y'all gonna watch GoT on Sunday" day.

That watercooler talk is the reason its rating rose between S3 and S4. It wasn't a smash when it started, but that weekly buzz was too much for people out of the loop to ignore, so they fell in line.

:mjlol: I remember when the 1st season of "House of Card" dropped folks were really talking like dropping all the episodes of the entire season was the future of Television. I didn't buy that for 1 second. I wonder if folks still feel that way.

Also, the week-to-week watercooler talk was HUGE for "True Detective"

BuddahMAC

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Naw, they announced like a week ago Daredevil is dropping all at once.

I agree weekly still holds up the best for keeping a show in the conversation. Binge watching works best for series that are already completed.

btw, if you didn't see it at the link within the twitter link, here's the promo video for announcing Community's release date:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The problem with that is if a show has a slow burn, it'll get shytted on during the earlier weeks.

Had they released Arrested Development weekly, it would have been one of the biggest disasters in television, even though many people agree that the season picked up by episode four or five.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
The problem with that is if a show has a slow burn, it'll get shytted on during the earlier weeks.

Had they released Arrested Development weekly, it would have been one of the biggest disasters in television, even though many people agree that the season picked up by episode four or five.

True, but AD would have been talked about for as long as episodes dropped regardless of the quality, and the fact that it picked up half way through didn't stop people complaining about the first half, and if it dropped week to week, do you think people would have stopped watching? AD? Never.

The benefits (longer burn and pop culture attention) outweigh the downsides in my opinion.