Combat Core (Created by Black game developer and Coli member MABManZ) (PC, Switch)

MABManZ

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Welcome breh!! But let's get down to business. As a black game developer why does most of your characters lack melanin :stopitslime:??? :ufdup:

Just trying get a good mix in the cast - in the initial 8 characters there's 2 "black" characters (Ember/Squaz), 2 "white" characters (Bruizer/Skatie), 3 other characters who don't really fit either category (Misuto, Pugi, Kayo), and 1 guy who who doesn't even have skin (Jondo). We intentionally avoided ties to nationalities or real-world cultures and just wanted to focus on having a varied and colorful cast.

All the characters are designed by Rob Porter (another black guy), and he's a successful artist who's done work for Capcom and other big companies, and I pretty much left him to design how he pleased. The only character I really had input on was Squaz who is a sort of caricature of myself.

As for Bruizer being the poster boy - his design is inspired/homage to Power Stone's lead character "Falcon" and we thought he would be a good fit to really hit the feel of those old Capcom games.
EdwardFalcon.jpg

Engine you are using for the game?

Game is built using Unity 4 (will eventually upgrade to 5)

llt23

All Star
Daps
Got the demo.... Ill share my thoughts in a few days when I get a chance to mess around....really like how the game looks though I am def supporting :obama:

Daps
Oh sweet i got a question for the dev. Why is the black male always some big burly or fat lame dude, like bigger than everyone else? I mean really sumo? We barely got boxing... not counting the stereotypical black characters.

MABManZ

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
How did you find this thread? It doesn't come up for me in the first ten pages of Google results if I google Combat Core.

Got a bunch of tracking/analytics for my Kickstarter and Website to see where traffic is coming from.

You guys looked like a fun bunch so figured I'd pop in and show some love

I want to get in the videogame business, how much money I gotta give you to make me a game

Ummm what's your offer? I might be looking for work if this thing fails, lol :feedme:

MABManZ

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Oh sweet i got a question for the dev. Why is the black male always some big burly or fat lame dude, like bigger than everyone else? I mean really sumo? We barely got boxing... not counting the stereotypical black characters.

You talkin about Squaz? He's an athletic strong build, like an NFL linebacker - not really a hulking or slow giant. On top of that, he's a sort of caricature of me and the things I love. And with Jove, really how many black sumo have you seen in a fighting game? In fact, I'm having trouble even thinking of many "fat lame" black characters in games at all. I can't help you if you don't find large characters appealing, but he's definitely not a stereotype design!

11064852_783366835103478_3490251072808228341_n.jpg