Combat Core (Created by Black game developer and Coli member MABManZ) (PC, Switch)

Daps
1 Year Kickstarter Anniversary! Steam keys for backers, New Alpha Build, Online play
1 Comment
"">
"">
6 likes
I've been silent way too long and I apologize!

I can't believe it's been nearly a year since this Kickstarter ended! A lot of progress has been made, but there's still more to go!

Most of the work on the game has been under the hood so I didn't have many fancy new things to show off, and did not want to release a new build while I was overhauling a lot of code for netplay. For the past few months(!) I've been plugging away at getting online multiplayer functional for Combat Core, and it's about ready time to give it a test run! Along with online multiplayer and several bugfixes/gameplay changes, I've also updated the MAC OSX build, and updated VR support to include the latest Oculus SDK, and OpenVR for compatiblity with the HTC Vive.

Although the game won't be available on the Steam store quite yet, alpha backers will be able to download the game using the Steam client and try out the online multiplayer. For those that would rather use the DRM-free build (or are still waiting for key approval), it will be available as usual on the Trello boards (DRM builds will eventually be hosted by the Humble Store). The Steam "coming soon" store page will be up soon also!

I am aiming for the Early Access launch to be within a month, depending on when we can get some promotional assets finished and ready. I'll have a concrete release date soon and a new gameplay trailer ready before launch.

Things currently still missing that will hopefully be in the initial Early Access launch:
- Private lobbies/join a friend's lobby
- Announcer voices (Featuring Takahata101!)
- More music!
- Complete Final Boss design/model/animations
- More custom character options and voices

Following the Early Access Release, updates will continue with new stages, new weapons, core attacks, and new characters (Zetto, Kizuna, and ARES) along with other improvements.

Steam Community Forum and claiming your Steam keys:
Steam download keys will be given to backers using the distribute() service.

- Check your Kickstarter messages; I will be sending the distribute() link there! From there you can request keys with your email and I will be approving and sending out codes as I get them.

- Basic Core backers will also be able to request keys, but these keys will NOT be active until the game releases on the Steam store.

- Feedback is important! If you are experiencing bugs please let me know! Although the official Steam Page isn't up yet, the community page is:

Combat Core General Discussions :: Steam Community

All backers (and anyone else) is welcome to discuss the game on the Steam discussion forum! As always, you can also contact me directly on Kickstarter also.

New Voices!
The new characters (Mist, Kayo, Squaz) have been casted and fully voiced for some time, but I never had a chance to properly them credit! Here are some details of the amazingly talented artists who lended their voice to Combat Core!

d50ed1706f778cc8691ce26636591fe0_original.png

Voicing our cold and graceful kunoichi Mist is Apphia Yu. She's an accomplished VA who has worked with several anime studios and Funimation, and founder of Sake Visual. You can see more of her work at her website at www.apphiayu.com, and you can also follow her on Twitter @soymilkpudding and Facebook!

fe4dd710a4dfc866b980add01faea795_original.gif

9abee2df9a8157158b17c4746fa61bd1_original.png

Chris Zito is the voice of Kayo, a young and disciplined fighter in the Combat Core League. Along with voice acting and illustration, Chris has worked with Team Four Star on many of their projects. Check out his work and follow him on twitter @CZBacklash!

82ff4c4e01ffefad040c718e3f8b577d_original.gif

b3bb355a7a2a408c87f2516d5e015853_original.png

Rounding off our new voices list is Marc Swint, voicing the current champ of the league, Squaz. Marc has done voicework with the Mass Effect series and recently as Neccalli in Street Fighter V. Give him a shoutout and a follow on twitter @th3engineer!

4359573378077ff70c4066991260a083_original.gif

Other happenings!

Since it's been so long since I updated, I never had a chance to share some of the spotlight of the events that I've been able to showcase Combat Core at!

MAGFest 2016 (National Harbor, MD)

MAGFest was a great show! We were able to meet a few backers and showcase the game to hundreds of attendees! It was great to meet some of the Combat Core voice actors in person, too!

d3debe53412d1a6467f931a8b5cf15f1_original.jpg

At MAGFest with Takahata101, voice of Bruizer and head of Team Four Star!

d740d1d8a25c0f430f71664ddf9c1ca9_original.png

Chilling with Marc Swint, the voice for Squaz and also Neccali! (Street Fighter V)

81e0c630a1c1527ccc4c90e7d9a9164f_original.jpg

Combat Core was a huge hit at MAGFest!
Game Developers Conference (San Francisco, CA)

This was an event for game industry professionals - I partnered with the Media Indie Exchange to showcase Combat Core at the IGN Headquarters! They also hosted me for EVO last year and have been great to work with!

11ec7a842e43c979e2695bbd86211a2e_original.jpg

At the IGN Headquarters in San Francisco!

That's it for this update! Be sure to respond to your distribute() message to claim your Steam redemption keys! I promise the next update will not take this long again.

Daps
Update #19

Aug 5 2016

Early Access Launch! New trailer and release/rewards details
0 Comments
"">
"">
Early Access Launch!
Obviously the original Q1 2016 estimate for the full release didn't happen, but it was essential to have the extra time to refine the game for the best experience possible - I wanted really wanted the first public Steam build to be solid enough to provide a fun and stable for everyone! There is still much work to be done, but the Early Access launch is here! Combat Core will be launching on Steam Early Access on Thursday, August 18th.

Check out the new Early Access Launch trailer:

The launch build will include:

- Complete original 8 character roster (and boss character!)
- 8 cores (supers)
- 5 weapons
- 5 stages
- Custom character editor
- Arcade mode with 3 difficulty settings
- Online multiplayer (2-4 player Free-for-all only)
- Local multiplayer (Free-for-all or Team Battle)
- In-game "How to Play" guide
- VR support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive (OpenVR)

The early access price will be $15.99 (+10% launch week discount). The full version price is still TBD - if you aren't a backer, now is the best time to get in! The Steam store page is also up now and the game can be added to wishlists here:

Backer Rewards
With the Early Access Launch imminent, while many of the backer rewards can't be fulfilled until the game is complete (soundtrack, pdf guide, physical copies), there are a few that can now be fulfilled:

Wallpaper Art - All the character and promo art isn't completed yet, but what has been finished will be available as 1080p wallpaper soon to all backers. More art will be made available as it's completed!

In-Game Credits (Alpha Core backers and higher) - The in-game credits are implemented in the current build. However, the names used are based on whatever name was registered as your Kickstarter account. The entire credits list can be viewed on as a Google doc here:

Combat Core Kickstarter In-Game Credits

If you notice that your name is missing, misspelled, or wish to use a different name for yourself PLEASE CONTACT ME via Kickstarter message (or Twitter/Facebook) and I will correct it ASAP.

Alpha Archive (Super Alpha Core backers and higher) - Want to play a rough and shoddy version of Combat Core from 2013?! Maybe not, but the Alpha Archive will be uploaded and available to Super Alpha Core backers next week.

Random Character Generator Names (Super Alpha Core backers and higher) - For backers at this tier, I'll be sending out a message soon requesting the names you want in the game! Although the release is close, I'll try to add all requests sent before the launch date. Any names received after the initial launch will be added later!

Custom Core Backers - I'll be contacting backers at this tier for their requested character designs very soon. The art/models for these characters will not be in the initial Early Access launch, but will definitely be included in a larger content update later this year!

Other Development
I just wanted to take some time to point out a few awesome new people who have contributed to some new stuff in Combat Core!

706cb8f3a938837ed54097a41e81b807_original.jpg

Endshark (Brendon Tapper) - Endshark helped with the project and designed our new (awesome) boss character! We won't be revealing him just yet, but you can get a peak of him in the new trailer!

He's an awesome artist and has recently done work for UDON's new Street Fighter V comics, along with a ton of his original characters and comics! Give him a follow on twitter @endshark or tumblr to see more of his awesome work!

d33b0e0044581d260cd2450edb37532a_original.png

Kira Buckland and Alan Lee are featured as new voices for custom characters! They are awesome voice actors and honored to have them as part of the project! You can follow them on twitter @rinachan and @alanhd, or get more info on their websites kirabuckland.com and alanhd.com.

Local Events!
a63e73ca64617d7172618603050ff13b_original.jpg

I'll also be showing off Combat Core to various events on the East Coast all month! If you're in the area, come out to the events and play some Combat Core!

For more information for each event, check out their websites:
Super Smash Con
Summer Jam X
The District Arcade

That's it for this update! Thanks for your support and patience throughout the development of Combat Core!

Daps
@MABManZ

I've read that Steam games only get one launch, meaning that if you release an Early Access game, that's when people will pay attention to your game so when the actual launch comes, it's hard to get the press to cover the game again. Are you concerned about that?