Colorism strikes again. Black Twitter not happy about Zendaya being more paid than keke Palmer based off her skin tone *** Keke responds!

GilSho

Veteran
Daps
Also, I think Keke's career will continue to blossom the older she gets. Like Regina Hall, Regina King, Taraji, Viola etc.

Keke's only problem has been young black actresses typically don't get casted in those love interest/bombshell roles like other races.

Ironically enough, she'll probably benefit from being typecasted later on since Hollywood loves the sassy older black women archetype.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
The thing is, Zendaya’s filmography consists of shows and movies that target mainstream audiences.

I don’t think she ever had that moment of being the mixed girl who starts off in “Black Hollywood” and crosses over, like Halle for example (Baps, Strictly Business, Boomerang, etc). I think Keke is amazing, but most of her recent stuff hasn’t been mainstream, right? Not that she doesn’t have mainstream appeal because she’s definitely been all over MTV, Good Morning America, etc. She is known, but I don’t get the sense her team has been deliberate in pursuing the crossover (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing).

Is colorism a thing in Hollywood —OOOOOF COURSE! But I don’t know if I want to compare their trajectories.

This feels like comparing a (Black) R&B singer to a Black pop artist. Rihanna will be more popular and successful than the R&B girls; she started out the gate targeting the mainstream audience. Her work was never strictly for Black audiences.

Not to mention Zendaya was in DUNE last year after being in all the Spider-Man films. She’s been in multiple blockbuster (Marvel) films within the last 5 years. Of course she’s considered more successful.

** And I forgot Euphoria (because I don’t watch it)! Zendaya is starring in primetime HBO programming. Lmao That alone solidified her spot, as long as she made the best of the exposure (which she did).

Z reminds me of a younger Bey and Ri. She’s cutting through the BS and gunning straight for the top so that she will be solidified and comfortable in her spot when she ages.
I’m sure it feels amazing to be
Ri- mid 30s
Bey, Jessica Alba- 40
Salma Hayek, JLo, Halle- 50s
Angela Bassett- 60
And no one can tell you anything or try to solely judge you based on your looks because they have their resumes, success, $ and connections.

Zendaya is on her way and Keke Palmer will be just fine as long as she remains focused on her craft and only entertains a healthy relationship(s).

Last edited:

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
This is feigning victim and woe is me, is it possible that zendaya is more marketable and a better actress? Its not all about skin color as much as that makes you cope better. Always notice how this bs colourism debates is always in favour of women , i have never seen it used , rarely, to advocate for black men.

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
Hollywood is racist/colorist for sure, we all know that but people don’t have to talk down on Zendaya or other light skinned Black/biracial women to make their point.
They’re taking their anger out on the wrong group of people.

Some brehs gonna come in here and pretend like Zendaya doesn’t get a boost for being light skinned and biracial.:comeon: