Colored People webseries (Directed & written by Coli member ghostwriterx) EP04 is up!

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I'll def keep tuning in. I like the concept. I like the direction. But sometimes the execution just isn't there.

The white guy seems too much like Steve Carell. That's kills it for me. If he was like a total opposite that would pop in my opinion. Like if he was the super strict/PC/normal person on the show that was trying to get the company on the straight path that would work. Something where they're a big disgruntled family that does questionable shyt and are always at odds. However they're brought together by the dumb shyt that people at other organizations do.

I thought it was hilarious when y'all zoomed in on the girl who didn't raise her hand during the "Never have I ever" game.
I thought it was funny that y'all would even use a "Never have I ever" game
the detroit line was aiight
the "I wish a nikka would" line was well done
I cracked up at the "I play angry birds happy" line. shyt came out of nowhere.

Tread carefully with the way you are portraying the black woman. There are some real cringe worthy parts.

I feel like sometimes you're trying to hit home runs when really all you need are singles. For example, the wedding invite works because thats real shyt. That touched on the single black woman aspect and the gay marriage thing. Focus on small every day events that can be viewed differently based on your upbringing. shyt you can even make a trip to chipotle a racial issue.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'll def keep tuning in. I like the concept. I like the direction. But sometimes the execution just isn't there.

The white guy seems too much like Steve Carell. That's kills it for me. If he was like a total opposite that would pop in my opinion. Like if he was the super strict/PC/normal person on the show that was trying to get the company on the straight path that would work. Something where they're a big disgruntled family that does questionable shyt and are always at odds. However they're brought together by the dumb shyt that people at other organizations do.

I thought it was hilarious when y'all zoomed in on the girl who didn't raise her hand during the "Never have I ever" game.
I thought it was funny that y'all would even use a "Never have I ever" game
the detroit line was aiight
the "I wish a nikka would" line was well done
I cracked up at the "I play angry birds happy" line. shyt came out of nowhere.

Tread carefully with the way you are portraying the black woman. There are some real cringe worthy parts.

I feel like sometimes you're trying to hit home runs when really all you need are singles. For example, the wedding invite works because thats real shyt. That touched on the single black woman aspect and the gay marriage thing. Focus on small every day events that can be viewed differently based on your upbringing. shyt you can even make a trip to chipotle a racial issue.

Thanks, great feedback.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Just seen the 5th episode and it was a lil weak compared to the last 2 (3 and 4)

I just don't feel like the cast is strong enough on their own to really hold down an episode without them really doing anything. They need a common person or event to really shine. Like for example in the 4th episode you had the water delivery dude. Same thing with the elevator in the 1st episode.

I don't know if you're familiar with the Misadventures of the Awkward Black Girl, but that show was pure piff. The cast was also funny as hell and didn't even need to get into a lot of shyt, because they were strong by themselves with personalities and jokes. Some episodes they'd just be in a regular meeting not doing much and still provide some good laughs.

I'm not saying to make your show like that or anything, but to just recognize the strengths and weaknesses of the cast. Whenever they have a central focus that is made clear they shine more. This is just my opinion though. Others might disagree with it.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I agree with @LauderdaleBoss that it was a bit weak compared to the previous episodes for pretty much the same reasons. Evan's scheme offered too little plot to and Wadell's stories were too random and out of place within that plot, so the episode ended up fizzling out rather quick.

In the end the series is built of a good premise but the execution is lacking.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Watched the last ep. Here are my notes/thoughts:

"Come as you're not day" probably reads better than it sounded. Even Morgan Freeman couldn't pull that one off lol

I think I mentioned it a few pages/episodes back, but some of these jokes really play like multi-cam jokes and I can see how they'd look they were working with a laugh-track (namely, the Indian guy singin' "Chuuurch!")

I also didn't get why they were suddenly on Waddell's side after the MLK story, maybe I didn't catch it, I've got a migraine right now lol

I think after this first round of eps, you'd probably be able to feel and see what worked and what didn't and I'm sure when you get funding, the second round will be a lot better.

SlowPaceThrillah

Pro
Supporter
Daps
I've been out of the loop, just watched 3-5 back to back

3: Good, didn't quite understand why they were talking office relations without a racial angle but the episode was good. Felt like the main cast had room to breathe and the supporting cast were great. The guy drinking out of a glitter ball, you need to keep that in mind for something in the future, that could be some Spinal Tap style shyt.

4: Cool, the water dude being gay was obvious from the moment he walked in but all the cut-aways about her drinking the water and pouring it down the drain were funny and well edited, that kind of grasp of an imaginative setup was great to see.

5: I can't quite put my finger on it but I don't think the white guy is being used properly. Not sure whether it's the actor or the dialogue but here his interludes never seemed anything more than a set-up device. That said, when Jada started kicking her essay around half way through it felt like everything was falling into place with this show. Waldell was great at first but when he started talking about back in the day I just got flashbacks of John Witherspoon from the Boondocks. Don't know if you peeped that but I'd imagine anyone watching this has seen those jokes in the Boondocks too so be wary.

Originally I was stanning Waldell but thinking over the whole series it's the Indian/Pakistani guy whose had the most consistently good lines and delivery. He's been lowkey the funniest character, maybe because apart from the curry joke in the lift he's never been burdened with race jokes, I dunno

Anyway, as always :salute:

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@ghostwriterx ..

Its been over a year... I was thinking about this last night for some reason ... any update.

Well we still have about 10 more episodes written and the plan was to do a longer season 2, but life got in the way. My wife had a baby in Sept. and that really cut into our free time and finances lol. So while we would love to do a 2nd season, right now its up in the air. In the meantime I've been working on some other things and when I gear up for production again it will probably be for a pilot or a feature.

Appreciate you watching!

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Well we still have about 10 more episodes written and the plan was to do a longer season 2, but life got in the way. My wife had a baby in Sept. and that really cut into our free time and finances lol. So while we would love to do a 2nd season, right now its up in the air. In the meantime I've been working on some other things and when I gear up for production again it will probably be for a pilot or a feature.

Appreciate you watching!

Arent there 5 more episodes of season 1 still unshot?

Is it cheaper to just shoot them all at once ala LOTR.. and then edit into the 5 episodes later?

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Arent there 5 more episodes of season 1 still unshot?
No, we just shot the first 5.

Is it cheaper to just shoot them all at once ala LOTR.. and then edit into the 5 episodes later?
Kind of, not really cheaper just easier. Biggest cost was locations/insurance and luckily we were able to find a few places that allowed us to shoot for free and found "reasonable" prices on a few others. Would have been a lot cheaper if we were doing a relationship comedy/drama where we could just shoot in somebody's house most of the time.

Toughest thing logistically was/is working around the actors schedules. Most of our main crew had full time or regular gigs so we were limited to shooting weekends (shot the 5 eps over 3 different weekends). In general we wanted to make sure the production values were top notch so it was a lot of legwork coordinating talent, locations, crew and equipment and we paid everybody except for the actors.

My wife's an editor so that was probably the "easiest" part of the process for us.