Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
New Review From 22 Indie Street!

Web series review
Black On Both Sides

3-5-11-orig_1_orig.png

Written by: Alonge Hawes | Directed by: Alonge Hawes | Genre: Drama

Anansi Moor is prepping for his big interview with Legacy Wireless. Management. A huge career step for anyone but even more impressive because Anansi is a black man within a company managed by whites. After rehearsing his pitch Mr. Moor nails the interview and gets promoted. His silver tongue and quick wit are impressive but as we find out very quickly, his promotion has less to do with his ability and skill, and more to do with the appearance of diversity in the growing company. That's not saying the white guys on top are not impressed with Anansi, but that their motivations are less than pure. As proven with a quick small talk segment between the boss's and later, when Anansi is asked to cut his hair. But not everything is as it seems. Anansi has a secret and has a past and this secret presents a dramatic curve that keeps Black On Both Sides interesting. And promises to continue to give.
We've also got numerous sub-plots happening that all relate but boil down to one thing. What the black man has to do to make it in the world. From the upbringing, dreams and business ambitions of one of Anansi's people Gill, to the personal lives and situations of almost everyone featured in this series. Black On Both Sides promises to keep upping the drama and asking it's viewers the questions. Currently, I've watched the initial 4 episodes and aside from some technical difficulties because this isn't a 10 million dollar series, Hawes has put together a winning show.

streetpic_orig.jpg

This isn't your PC version of a web series. Hawes is touching on some really serious subject matter. Let me be crystal clear on 1 thing. Black On Both Sides will make you either uncomfortable or outright angry sometimes. This will depend on your racial outlook on the world. But isn't that the point? What good is a cliche whitewashed dramatic series? Pardon the pun. The racial issues and stereotypes add a good chunk of the drama to this show. Without them, Hawes production would just be another show about moving up in the world, doing your own thing and hiding/changing a dark chapter in a characters life. Now, there would be nothing wrong with all of that except for it's been done over and over. It's the basic plot of every drama ever. As is presenting a production that deals in only issues of racism. Putting all this together has not only created a show that is dramatic, but also one that could potentially ignite actual emotions. For better or worse, this production aims for the heart and pulls the trigger. If you don't like it, hit the stop button.
The potential of this series is through the roof. A lot of planted seeds and emerging story lines promise that Black On Both sides is going to age very well. The production is sound. The acting is excellent and the writing seems to promise that this production will keep getting better and better. When you consider these first few episodes are really good you know the future looks incredibly bright. A show to look for when it's released some time soon. Thank you for reading.

@Illeye buckmatic @-DMP- @NormanConnors @Milk N Cookies @Danie84 @Rekkapryde @hustlemania @Blacksands @IllmaticDelta @True Blue Moon @LinusCaldwell @Easy-E @Esco @Colicat @Tupac in a Business Suit @General Mills @Young Bishop @RoyalQ @mr.africa @Originalman @Soundbwoy @Soymuscle Mike @Born2BKing @MartyMcFly @UserNameless @BXKingPin82

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
New Review From 22 Indie Street!

Web series review
Black On Both Sides

3-5-11-orig_1_orig.png

Written by: Alonge Hawes | Directed by: Alonge Hawes | Genre: Drama

Anansi Moor is prepping for his big interview with Legacy Wireless. Management. A huge career step for anyone but even more impressive because Anansi is a black man within a company managed by whites. After rehearsing his pitch Mr. Moor nails the interview and gets promoted. His silver tongue and quick wit are impressive but as we find out very quickly, his promotion has less to do with his ability and skill, and more to do with the appearance of diversity in the growing company. That's not saying the white guys on top are not impressed with Anansi, but that their motivations are less than pure. As proven with a quick small talk segment between the boss's and later, when Anansi is asked to cut his hair. But not everything is as it seems. Anansi has a secret and has a past and this secret presents a dramatic curve that keeps Black On Both Sides interesting. And promises to continue to give.
We've also got numerous sub-plots happening that all relate but boil down to one thing. What the black man has to do to make it in the world. From the upbringing, dreams and business ambitions of one of Anansi's people Gill, to the personal lives and situations of almost everyone featured in this series. Black On Both Sides promises to keep upping the drama and asking it's viewers the questions. Currently, I've watched the initial 4 episodes and aside from some technical difficulties because this isn't a 10 million dollar series, Hawes has put together a winning show.

streetpic_orig.jpg

This isn't your PC version of a web series. Hawes is touching on some really serious subject matter. Let me be crystal clear on 1 thing. Black On Both Sides will make you either uncomfortable or outright angry sometimes. This will depend on your racial outlook on the world. But isn't that the point? What good is a cliche whitewashed dramatic series? Pardon the pun. The racial issues and stereotypes add a good chunk of the drama to this show. Without them, Hawes production would just be another show about moving up in the world, doing your own thing and hiding/changing a dark chapter in a characters life. Now, there would be nothing wrong with all of that except for it's been done over and over. It's the basic plot of every drama ever. As is presenting a production that deals in only issues of racism. Putting all this together has not only created a show that is dramatic, but also one that could potentially ignite actual emotions. For better or worse, this production aims for the heart and pulls the trigger. If you don't like it, hit the stop button.
The potential of this series is through the roof. A lot of planted seeds and emerging story lines promise that Black On Both sides is going to age very well. The production is sound. The acting is excellent and the writing seems to promise that this production will keep getting better and better. When you consider these first few episodes are really good you know the future looks incredibly bright. A show to look for when it's released some time soon. Thank you for reading.

@Illeye buckmatic @-DMP- @NormanConnors @Milk N Cookies @Danie84 @Rekkapryde @hustlemania @Blacksands @IllmaticDelta @True Blue Moon @LinusCaldwell @Easy-E @Esco @Colicat @Tupac in a Business Suit @General Mills @Young Bishop @RoyalQ @mr.africa @Originalman @Soundbwoy @Soymuscle Mike @Born2BKing @MartyMcFly @UserNameless @BXKingPin82

:whoo:

tenor.gif

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
New review from ReelRomp!

Click here to get one.

3-stars-00000_66_orig.jpg

Black on Both Sides
A politically racial web series created primarily for a black audience is what we have here. Within society today is it any wonder? Black on Both Sides introduces us to the whiteness of the American business dream; as if we needed any introduction right? In this title, white-washed Anansi Moor gets promoted to the upper management of Legacy Wireless. I'm pretty sure it's stated that he is the first to receive such an honor. As if the hard work and skill involved were secondary in nature. The honor of being black and in upper management must be some kind of something. Hard work it seems doesn't matter at all. A feeling I have no doubt that is mirrored in the real world.

And this theme is kind of the back bone of this series. The racist nature of white people and the fact they don't see it as such. The promotion of a black man to satisfy an image of racial diversity. Could you imagine black people being promoted simply because they've earned it? If that was done, heaven forbid, but companies might actually really be diverse! I may even go so far as to say that the upper management of companies could have more black people than white. Or even go so far as to write that black people, Asian people and even Egyptians would together, dominate the upper management levels. Why? Because black, white or Asian, a smart hard working person is just that. A smart hard working person. Black on Both Sides focuses on African Americans, but it's not all that far removed from the main message.

Alonge Hawes series isn't "just" about race. Anansi Moor is hiding something from his watchers. A dark secret that slowly reveals itself. His past life is definitely not the assimilated black guy living in a white man's world we at first think. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes. By the time episode 4 is finished, we have a good idea of the what. Just not the exact why. Anansi is what they call a code switcher. A man who can convert himself to play almost any role given to him.

Black on Both Sides involves numerous sub-plots that connect, or I assume will connect soon. Topics ranging from illness right on through to ambition and capital gathering. We also see recurring themes of culture, friendship and parenting. A scene involving a parent being told her son needs medication is a powerful one. Also throw into the mix the obvious gangster roles, involving Anansi's past life and you got some real potential for a great series. Much better than your standard YouTube video.

But the production itself is not perfect. Very uneven audio, (That does seem to improve as the show goes on) and some occasional stuttering, dropped frame rates, during some of the scenes. Generally speaking though the show looks and sounds pretty good. The acting feels real and to the point. As a micro budget web series, Black on Both Sides actually plays itself quite well. There's no problem following the path that Hawes and Burks lay out.

I hope the show continues and that the 4 episodes I've seen won't be the last. There's nothing wrong with pointing out racial issues because that's the only way they'll ever be addressed. I am very curious to see where this all goes. To find out exactly what has taken place in the past, and why things are the way they are now. I'll definitely keep my eyes on this show as the episodes are released. Thumbs up.

@Illeye buckmatic @Jax @NormanConnors @MartyMcFly @Milk N Cookies @Soundbwoy @Soymuscle Mike @BXKingPin82 @UserNameless @HipHopStan @IllmaticDelta @mr.africa @Originalman @Easy-E @Esco @hustlemania @Tupac in a Business Suit @General Mills @-DMP- @Young Bishop @Danie84 @True Blue Moon @LinusCaldwell @Rekkapryde @Colicat @MoonGoddess @RoyalQ

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
New review from ReelRomp!

Click here to get one.

3-stars-00000_66_orig.jpg

Black on Both Sides
A politically racial web series created primarily for a black audience is what we have here. Within society today is it any wonder? Black on Both Sides introduces us to the whiteness of the American business dream; as if we needed any introduction right? In this title, white-washed Anansi Moor gets promoted to the upper management of Legacy Wireless. I'm pretty sure it's stated that he is the first to receive such an honor. As if the hard work and skill involved were secondary in nature. The honor of being black and in upper management must be some kind of something. Hard work it seems doesn't matter at all. A feeling I have no doubt that is mirrored in the real world.

And this theme is kind of the back bone of this series. The racist nature of white people and the fact they don't see it as such. The promotion of a black man to satisfy an image of racial diversity. Could you imagine black people being promoted simply because they've earned it? If that was done, heaven forbid, but companies might actually really be diverse! I may even go so far as to say that the upper management of companies could have more black people than white. Or even go so far as to write that black people, Asian people and even Egyptians would together, dominate the upper management levels. Why? Because black, white or Asian, a smart hard working person is just that. A smart hard working person. Black on Both Sides focuses on African Americans, but it's not all that far removed from the main message.

Alonge Hawes series isn't "just" about race. Anansi Moor is hiding something from his watchers. A dark secret that slowly reveals itself. His past life is definitely not the assimilated black guy living in a white man's world we at first think. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes. By the time episode 4 is finished, we have a good idea of the what. Just not the exact why. Anansi is what they call a code switcher. A man who can convert himself to play almost any role given to him.

Black on Both Sides involves numerous sub-plots that connect, or I assume will connect soon. Topics ranging from illness right on through to ambition and capital gathering. We also see recurring themes of culture, friendship and parenting. A scene involving a parent being told her son needs medication is a powerful one. Also throw into the mix the obvious gangster roles, involving Anansi's past life and you got some real potential for a great series. Much better than your standard YouTube video.

But the production itself is not perfect. Very uneven audio, (That does seem to improve as the show goes on) and some occasional stuttering, dropped frame rates, during some of the scenes. Generally speaking though the show looks and sounds pretty good. The acting feels real and to the point. As a micro budget web series, Black on Both Sides actually plays itself quite well. There's no problem following the path that Hawes and Burks lay out.

I hope the show continues and that the 4 episodes I've seen won't be the last. There's nothing wrong with pointing out racial issues because that's the only way they'll ever be addressed. I am very curious to see where this all goes. To find out exactly what has taken place in the past, and why things are the way they are now. I'll definitely keep my eyes on this show as the episodes are released. Thumbs up.

@Illeye buckmatic @Jax @NormanConnors @MartyMcFly @Milk N Cookies @Soundbwoy @Soymuscle Mike @BXKingPin82 @UserNameless @HipHopStan @IllmaticDelta @mr.africa @Originalman @Easy-E @Esco @hustlemania @Tupac in a Business Suit @General Mills @-DMP- @Young Bishop @Danie84 @True Blue Moon @LinusCaldwell @Rekkapryde @Colicat @MoonGoddess @RoyalQ

Just make sure you filter the good constructive criticism from hatin and agenda driven feedback fam.

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box
New review from Indyred

Series review
Black On Both Sides

INDYRED | OCT 2019

blackonboth-poster_orig.jpg

directed by:
Alonge Hawes
written by:
Alonge Hawes
genre:
Drama

3-5-out-of-5-00000_63_orig.png

From writer and director Alonge Hawes comes a great new series that I just happened to get a sneak preview of. "Black On Both Sides" is a drama that I want to say can feel a little harsh towards anyone who happens to be Caucasian. But I also know full well that it may not be harsh enough. The underlying message is one we've all heard a zillion times before. Racism. Privilege. A maybe subconscious, but no less forceful push to conform. As an average white dude, I really want to believe that Alonge Hawes has perhaps pushed the racism envelope a little too far. I want to, but I realize that wishful thinking and good intentions rarely ever pave a solid road.
"Black On Both Sides" focuses on Anansi Moor's ambitions and dreams of becoming more than the sum of his collective parts. He not only wants to be the boss, but he wants to be the best boss. Period. In order to be the best, he needs his team to be the best. This series starts with his promotion within Legacy Wireless, the company he works for and also introduces us to the main characters. We're quickly led to believe Anansi is the perfect guy. A master with words, an excellent head on his shoulders and the ability to motivate - and get the team moving. This image tarnishes slightly within the first episode by introducing some, for lack of a better word, thugs that Anansi has dealings with. A little more when we meet his daughter and much later, a bombshell of sorts. I won't give away any more details, and recommend seeing for yourself. You'll be glad you did.

Aside from the main plot, "Black On Both Sides" has a strong message. It's about how easy it is to succumb to the pressures of a better life. Just how much a person is willing to give up when in fact, he shouldn't have to give certain things up at all. Pushing aside your identity to please and move up? Giving up your culture one piece at a time to get the job? It's sad, but also so damn true. Unless you're one of those people with a swastika tattooed on your skin somewhere, you may feel a little uncomfortable at times watching this. Only because you know that "Black On Both Sides" is telling it the way it is.
The scenes with the owners, and upper echelon management of Legacy Wireless were very eye-opening for me. Alonge Hawes handles these characters pretty well for the most part. They are white people, as I'm sure you've guessed. They almost come across as racist, without knowing they are being racist. Save a line here and there about diversity within the company, these guys probably have no idea just what they are doing or asking. I'll leave it to the viewers to either agree with me or not. But it's real and to the point. How many of us consider ourselves to be completely opposite a racist person? But still manage to do racist things sometimes and maybe not even know it? If nothing else, "Black On Both Sides" will have you thinking.
The production itself is generally pretty well done. There are audio issues, but it's not too bad except for a low, buzzing hum that pops up here and there. Mainly in the first episode. Where this series does shine however, is the acting. I expected as much. Having seen previous works from Alonge Hawes, I would expect nothing short of great casting. The large troupe here elevates this series in a serious way.
Bottom line? A great show. Although geared towards a black audience, anybody can, and will find something here to think about. And the drama is not just centered around race issues - there is a story. Four episodes deep and I'm liking what I've seen. A little more tweaking in the post-production would have definitely elevated my rating. However, since this show hasn't been released yet, some tweaks are still possible. I will return and update once the series premiers but even if nothing changes, an excellent series overall. Three and a half stars.

@Illeye buckmatic @IllmaticDelta @-DMP- @Easy-E @Esco @NormanConnors @Rekkapryde @General Mills @Milk N Cookies @Soymuscle Mike @Soundbwoy @hustlemania @mobbinfms @mr.africa @Originalman @Danie84 @UserNameless @True Blue Moon @LinusCaldwell @Still FloW @HipHopStan @Born2BKing @Jax @krackdagawd @Tupac in a Business Suit @MartyMcFly @Young Bishop

yall keep creating piff