Coach Prime weighing the option of Jackson St. leaving the SWAC and moving up.

SubZeroDegrees

50 shots in the blender.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nawlins
I see three options Prime wants to do.

(Most Likely) An HBCU superconference and jump to FBS. It's what the WAC trying to do now.

(Second) Get other big schools (SU, GSU, FAMU, PV) to join them in another conference like C-USA. He saw Hampton and NCA&T say fukk tradition and bounce.

(Last Resort) Leave the SWAC and go FBS, JSU will regret it. Ask FAMU in the 2000s.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I think they’re fine where they’re at, like @staticshock was alluding to, is it better to stay in SWAC and keep your rivalries or play in Huntington, West Virginia in November fighting for a spot in the Dollar General bowl?

Exactly bruh! HBCU games are a unique experience and our shyt is different. I love what the Ivy League does. They play money games but for the most part, they’re all about their conference.

Prime example- Alabama State’s 2nd biggest rival is Tuskegee. We play in the oldest HBCU classic which dates back almost a 100 years if not more. It’s a very competitive series because Tuskegee is a D2 powerhouse and we’re D1. They win more than they should, but if we go FBS we’ll never play them again. FBS teams don’t play D2 schools.

We can’t even beat D2 schools on a constant basis yet some folks wanna move up to FBS. And Jackson State lost to D2 Kentucky State in the Circle City Classic 2 years ago. They aren’t world beaters themselves.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
fukk Hampton and A&T. Hampton left first, then A&T let their white athletic director convince them to go to the big south too or whatever they went. Few months ago, Hampton announced their going to another white conference, leaving A&T alone with them other white schools :mjlol:

shyt makes absolutely no sense at all. They said travel was the main reason the left the MEAC, but both of their new conferences has schools further away than the schools in the MEAC were.

But yea shoutout to Howard, Norfolk, SCSU, NCCU & the other MEAC schools for holding it down. If they can, they should try to get some of those CIAA schools to move to D1 and join them, or they just need to join the SWAC like FAMU & Cookman did.

When you say bigger schools, what do you mean..Ohio State, Alabama, UGA, etc? They have a 100 year head start. It would be foolish to try to move up to compete with bigger schools. What’s wrong with being crowded HBCU champs? If they wanna schedule big schools for pay days then fine. HBCUs have beaten some G5 schools thinking they were going to get a easy W.

If we need to use athletics for more funding, then that’s a major problem. Other FCS schools don’t need sports teams to make money for them. HBCU presidents and alum need to do a better job of donating and finding other ways to make money.

I don’t buy the better recruits thing either. If you’re talented, you’ll make your way to the NFL. My school Alabama State had a OL drafted by the raiders in the first round a few years ago. All of the big time players go to a handful of schools, especially now since the NIL is in play.
I’m not saying go to the big 10 or sec but what if they had an offer to go to the acc, it’s not crazy to think that he could get Jackson state to a level of being one of the better acc schools, and more importantly they get more money
I understand that you wouldn’t want hbcus to use athletics as primary funding but that’s the reality for most schools I would imagine, more football money will make hbcus prime college destinations which would also bring in more money to improve

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I’m not saying go to the big 10 or sec but what if they had an offer to go to the acc, it’s not crazy to think that he could get Jackson state to a level of being one of the better acc schools, and more importantly they get more money
I understand that you wouldn’t want hbcus to use athletics as primary funding but that’s the reality for most schools I would imagine, more football money will make hbcus prime college destinations which would also bring in more money to improve

:mjlol:

Ok bruh. The white man’s ice must be colder than yours :whew:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The government has been pumping a lot of money into HBCUs over the last few years. They really have little excuse to be as incompetent as they are. Seems like the goal should be working to improve facilities and services and collect more donors (celebrities and alumni). I'm sure Prime is looking at the revenue sharing of the larger conferences and thinking that's the key but...you guys have the money already. It's time to modernize and some of the administration/finance people probably gotta go TBH.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Eventually, what’s going to end up happening is those Power 5 schools will stop paying to play them.

HBCU’s have to step up financially. If they start getting better talent the money will come. We’re our own worst enemy. We should be able to recruit our own people. Especially in the south. You got all these rappers in the south making millions and don’t even support these institutions.

If HBCU’s don’t step up they will get left even further behind.
Suggesting or expecting for rappers to be the ones to carry these institutions makes me question your intelligence somewhat.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The government has been pumping a lot of money into HBCUs over the last few years. They really have little excuse to be as incompetent as they are. Seems like the goal should be working to improve facilities and services and collect more donors (celebrities and alumni). I'm sure Prime is looking at the revenue sharing of the larger conferences and thinking that's the key but...you guys have the money already. It's time to modernize and some of the administration/finance people probably gotta go TBH.

There are too many things HBCUs need to work on before worrying about going to the FBS.

Ohio State, Bama, Clemson etc make millions because they have a ton of fans who didn’t even go to college. Most of the folks on here didn’t give a damn about HBCUs till Deion went to Jackson smh. It’s levels to that college football shyt. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be the best FCS or HBCU teams.

Dudes who just started learning about black colleges have no idea about the culture and traditions of HBCUs. nikkas want them to move up to FBS so they can become Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Colorado State or some other no name team who doesn’t get any attention and get pimped by the big schools have lost their minds.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
As a Hampton alum, we been on some fukk shyt last several years, that move out of the conference was :scusthov:

Bro tell these folks how different games be at Hampton ever since y’all moved..so away fans even come to hall stadium?

These white folks are terrified of stepping on a HBCU campus and/or they don’t wanna give any type of money to our teams.

Southern hosted some white team last season and the away side was completely empty. Games be dead as hell when one of their teams have to come to our campuses.

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’ve known the Jackson St. athletic director for years and he was talking about getting his previous school (another HBCU) to another conference like five years ago. He’s on the same time with Jackson State. Will be interesting to see if he can get it done.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
Exactly bruh! HBCU games are a unique experience and our shyt is different. I love what the Ivy League does. They play money games but for the most part, they’re all about their conference.

Prime example- Alabama State’s 2nd biggest rival is Tuskegee. We play in the oldest HBCU classic which dates back almost a 100 years if not more. It’s a very competitive series because Tuskegee is a D2 powerhouse and we’re D1. They win more than they should, but if we go FBS we’ll never play them again. FBS teams don’t play D2 schools.

We can’t even beat D2 schools on a constant basis yet some folks wanna move up to FBS. And Jackson State lost to D2 Kentucky State in the Circle City Classic 2 years ago. They aren’t world beaters themselves.
they actually don't. their non-conference games are against teams like colgate, lafayette, bucknell, g'town, etc.