CM Punk FIRED from AEW; Returns to WWE

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I agree. I don't think either Starks or Hobbs will jump unless AEW/TK do something absolutely egregious to them.
With returns and NXT call ups coming next year, that WWE roster is in the verge of being bloated again if they retain everyone whose contract is expiring next year.

If not already bloated after looking over the roster. Punk and Orton back are two guys that deserve to be on TV regularly. That’s two guys in a crowded mid card and higher field that are going to be taking someone’s spots.

I wouldn’t be surprised if WWE looks at some of these over 40 guys and says it’s not worth bringing them back if there is no plans for them to be a major factor in the Universal or World title scenes. They are going to need to start trimming away at some of that old guard at some point to open the way for some of the younger guys already there and coming in from outside and NXT.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Wrestlers are still winning. 5 years ago those lower card wrestlers would have to grind on the indies or step away from wrestling. Anyone above the midcard is gettin PAID too... TK just paid Ospreay a 7 figure deal to pluck him from NJPW. 5 years ago a guy like Ospreay is likely signing an NXT contract and hoping to get a fast track to the main roster.
The reality is that always comes back to bite you in the ass. The fingerpoke of doom didn't kill WCW, it was the downturn in business from the war combined with all those astronomical contracts that killed them. At some point Tony is going to have to start cutting the fat, and there's a lot of fat to cut in AEW.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
The reality is that always comes back to bite you in the ass. The fingerpoke of doom didn't kill WCW, it was the downturn in business from the war combined with all those astronomical contracts that killed them. At some point Tony is going to have to start cutting the fat, and there's a lot of fat to cut in AEW.
He already has started some. There are quite a few contracts he didn’t renew.

At this point the only people he should sign from outside of AEW are ones that can be stars there, and Will Ospreay certainly fits that description.

Not quite sure Adam Copeland fits that description but his YouTube videos are moving big numbers (for AEW), his merch is selling, and he’s likely been a tremendous asset behind the scenes so I can that was probably a pretty reasonable signing depending on the money.

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
Starks/Hobbs make sense if they’re cool with doing a tour of nXt so the main roster can have time to weed itself out some…

• Dap
Reactions: 907

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
Starks and Hobbs are in their 30s. It's not like they would be able to wait around that long in developmental. Both of them are established enough to debut on the main roster too.
I’d normally agree, but with H in charge the nxt run didn’t hurt LA Knight who was older than both…

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
He already has started some. There are quite a few contracts he didn’t renew.

At this point the only people he should sign from outside of AEW are ones that can be stars there, and Will Ospreay certainly fits that description.

Not quite sure Adam Copeland fits that description but his YouTube videos are moving big numbers (for AEW), his merch is selling, and he’s likely been a tremendous asset behind the scenes so I can that was probably a pretty reasonable signing depending on the money.
Anyone that's not a ratings/merch mover is up for termination. The Elite also fit that bill now since their segments are losing the most viewers. Wrestling has moved past the glory days of The Elite.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Anyone that's not a ratings/merch mover is up for termination. The Elite also fit that bill now since their segments are losing the most viewers. Wrestling has moved past the glory days of The Elite.
You got to have depth. You can’t just get rid of everyone that’s basically not a TV or PPV main event talent - because hardly any non-main eventers move ratings and/or merch even in WWE, much less AEW.

Only notable outlier I can think of in AEW is Danhausen because that man’s merch is basically a money printer.

• Dap

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
You got to have depth. You can’t just get rid of everyone that’s basically not a TV or PPV main event talent - because hardly any non-main eventers move ratings and/or merch even in WWE, much less AEW.

Only notable outlier I can think of in AEW is Danhausen because that man’s merch is basically a money printer.

Depth shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, Aussie Open could essentially fill the Young Bucks spot of "tag team that has 4+ star PPV matches and never cuts in ring promos" and do it at a fraction of the cost. Paying "NBA money" to a tag team that's clearly checked out and not moving the needle is just bad business.

The Young Bucks only ever have 2 stories too, once Will Ospreay comes over Aussie Open can do the "You're supposed to be our friend :(" and "We want to prove which tag team is the best" stories over and over too

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Depth shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, Aussie Open could essentially fill the Young Bucks spot of "tag team that has 4+ star PPV matches and never cuts in ring promos" and do it at a fraction of the cost. Paying "NBA money" to a tag team that's clearly checked out and not moving the needle is just bad business.

The Young Bucks only ever have 2 stories too, once Will Ospreay comes over Aussie Open can do the "You're supposed to be our friend :(" and "We want to prove which tag team is the best" stories over and over too
I don’t disagree with the bolded at all

I’m interested to see what they do with the Bucks when they come back. Full-on heel move character from them will be a much needed change. And sometimes just going away for a bit can mend some things.

• Dap