Conz

Superstar
Daps
Luc Besson movies have more memorable scenes than Christopher Nolan movies. Don't @ me.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
All reviews from people that seen this that don't have Nolan's dikk in their mouth seem to be the same...

Over hyped empty boring ass movie with bombs dropping...
It is an empty movie in more than one way too. I forgot this scene took place at Dunkirk too but I saw it posted somewhere else as a reminder of how a beach full of thousands of soldiers is supposed to look like.

Compare this shyt to Nolan's clean empty beach with 100 extras standing around doing nothing and it is almost disgusting.:scust:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Damn! You're good when you're this polarizing while still making money at the box office.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It is an empty movie in more than one way too. I forgot this scene took place at Dunkirk too but I saw it posted somewhere else as a reminder of how a beach full of thousands of soldiers is supposed to look like.

Compare this shyt to Nolan's clean empty beach with 100 extras standing around doing nothing and it is almost disgusting.:scust:

Y'all can't say he's all exposition this time so you're forced to grasp at straws and complain about the way the beach looked or a character taking a shyt

:bryan:

it's glorious

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Y'all can't say he's all exposition this time so you're forced to grasp at straws and complain about the way the beach looked or a character taking a shyt

:bryan:

it's glorious
It's a genuine criticism. TDKR had the same problem where Gotham was supposed to be under siege for multiple months but had practically clean sweeped streets that completely no sell the atmosphere of chaos and living in fear. I felt the same way about Dunkirk's opening where it looks like the characters are running across a soundstage and not an actual street because Nolan puts no effort into creating an atmosphere. That's why his work feels so clinical, in particular since he started making bigger movies where it stands out how empty and lifeless his "worlds" are.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It's a genuine criticism. TDKR had the same problem where Gotham was supposed to be under siege for multiple months but had practically clean sweeped streets that completely no sell the atmosphere of chaos and living in fear. I felt the same way about Dunkirk's opening where it looks like the characters are running across a soundstage and not an actual street because Nolan puts no effort into creating an atmosphere. That's why his work feels so clinical, in particular since he started making bigger movies where it stands out how empty and lifeless his "worlds" are.
We're still coming for that Production Design oscar. :banderas:
CcusGI8WEAEzQET.jpg

Daps
Reppin
Chicago
So I put Nolan films into 3 categories: 1)Lit 2)Solid 3)Trash

Lit: Memento, Inception, Batman Begins, Insomnia
Solid: Prestige, TDK, DKR, Following
Trash: Interstellar

With that said, I'd put Dunkirk into the 'solid' category. If the characters were even remotely interesting this movie would've been straight fire. But damn that low frequency heartbeat sound that droned on for 90% of the film combined with uninteresting bland characters caused me to fall asleep at least 3/4 times. And I NEVER fall asleep in movies.

And I dgaf about exposition or story or character development, but damn at least have their screen time be worthwhile. Also, it definitely could've benefited from an 'R' rating but certainly not a deal breaker.

Everything else about the movie was on point, from the soundtrack to the pacing. This film should be a case study in building and maintaining suspense, it's basically 90 minutes of pure suspense. Also, Nolan's use of practical effects had me like :picard: after being inundated with bs CGI in these superhero flicks it's truly a breath of fresh air.

Lastly, I think you really have to see it in IMAX to experience the full gravity of the film.

Last edited:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Breh you're all up in this thread trying to discredit a movie you haven't even seen.

Talking about why should visuals matter. Film is a fukking visual medium. :nolan:

Some films are deserving of seeing on the biggest screen possible.

And you talk about not being interested enough to even download a bluray rip yet you spent 33 minutes watching a review on it :mindblown:

Y'all dudes are some fukking weirdos for real.

Godling has the 2nd most posts in this thread and he's a nolan hater. Yet he was the first to rush out and go see it #makesnosense
People seem to genuinely enjoy telling other people how they didn't like something 90%+ of people enjoyed, especially when it's directed by Nolan for some reason.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So I wasn't planning on seeing it this weekend but my friend, who used to be a soldier, really wanted to see it so I tagged along.

First off, it's a gorgeous movie. If you don't see this in IMAX or the best way possible you're doing yourself an injustice. The shots are awesome the composition tells a story along with the music and the ticking clock constantly in the score. Nolan just knows how to work a camera and hit you over the head with gorgeousness.

But damnit I didn't care about a single soul in the movie. If he would've given me just an iota of character or character development I would've been happy. Stuff would happen and my friend was so enraptured and I just wasn't there. It didn't grab me. It would've been nice to give names to a lot of those British boys with black hair because it wasn't easy to tell them a part. The movie has these emotional beats that just played hollow for me because I didn't care and I wish I did. It's solid. It's not great but that's not a knock.

Now to be fair, as a former soldier, she explained to me why it worked for her without the characters or character development because when you're in the middle of battle there's no time for it. Which I get and respect but I just couldn't get with it.

Nolan made a beautiful looking house with almost no soul inside of it. I was actually checking my phone and had to catch myself from falling asleep a couple times. It's the same issue with interstellar for me.

When I was in 9th grade I dated this chick who was gorgeous. But the more we dated the more I found out she was about as dumb as a bag of hammers. That's this movie to me. Very pretty to look at but not much else underneath.