Omerta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OZ via El Barrio
What issues did you have with the movie?

There's nothing in it to sink your teeth into and want to know what more happens. Is sound now more important than story? People talk of tension, but really? You mean the tension of the die bomber jets over and over again? That's not tension, it became incredibly predictable and was essentially, if I'm being very harsh, just very loud noise on replay. The loud noise made people jump, that's it.

Does this hold ANY replay value for any of you?

I can post the screenshots here - I went with a friend who is a big time movie buff and Nolan fanatic. At the end, he looked at me and was like - 'what the fukk was that' and I was relieved as it was ending, I'm thinking did I miss something? So to hear him say that immediately after was comfort that I'm not going crazy, because I was aware of the tremendous reviews before I went in.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice: I don't remember this even being insinuated and normally I am quick to pick these things up. You really sure about that, breh? Not saying I don't believe you or anything.:hubie:

Somewhere it would make a little sense since Tom Hardy's character is otherwise pretty much the flawless hero of the movie.

I didn't catch it the 1st time around, but because there were obvious overlaps and knowing Nolan that in every picture you have to watch at least a 2nd time to catch something or see something from a different perspective, I had to see it again to find out HOW MUCH overlapping there was.

When Hardy's character was dogfighting that one fighter jet (after his partner when down and was save by the Old man's yacht) he was constantly firing until he finally hit it. That's when he looked and noticed that one destroyer (before the bomber jet started to attack it) and the small boat sinking with soldiers jumping out of it. Those were the same soldiers with the Dutchman later in the film that were inside thinking the Germans were attacking them. (Even though they initially were when the the boat became afloat through the perspective of the Navy captain) Watch it again...

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's nothing in it to sink your teeth into and want to know what more happens. Is sound now more important than story? People talk of tension, but really? You mean the tension of the die bomber jets over and over again? That's not tension, it became incredibly predictable and was essentially, if I'm being very harsh, just very loud noise on replay. The loud noise made people jump, that's it.

Does this hold ANY replay value for any of you?

I can post the screenshots here - I went with a friend who is a big time movie buff and Nolan fanatic. At the end, he looked at me and was like - 'what the fukk was that' and I was relieved as it was ending, I'm thinking did I miss something? So to hear him say that immediately after was comfort that I'm not going crazy, because I was aware of the tremendous reviews before I went in.

Let's speak about this "loud noise"....
Have you been in battle before? Or combat...were you in the military or currently in the military??? If you was them you know the sound of combat is NOT QUIET!!! It is loud and deafening. If that bothers them you do not understand part of the POINT is to have it like you are in true combat. This movie isn't going to stray from that. Those shots supposed to be loud because shooting them in real life it's loud. Those bombs and explosions are loud because that's real life. Same as those fighter jets....since when you heard a soft sounding jet? And these are real lives jets that were actually flown. So, your chief complaint is the sound being a bit TOO accurate?

2nd of all. I don't think you understand concept of story. It isn't about a cliche war drama about soldiers talking about their lives that mean shyt but to supposedly "care". This is about the EVENT ITSELF. There's no time to just sit around and converse with stranger number one vs stranger number two. All those 400,000 people stranded have one equal agenda and that's get the fukk out. The STORY was how these people were rescued and what MANY of these people endured just trying to survive...the TENSION were about the soldiers not knowing what could happen to them. The STORY was told from all perspectives. But it's clear you not understand that and want a cliche soft sounding war story that's been done before countless if times.

You don't like it and that's cool. But griping about things that are actually ACCURATE is ridiculous. I could of understood if you complain about the music, or the editing, or that you was bored, or war movies in general aren't your cup of tea. But make it more about that and not on things that are true to the nature of what was going on.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
Have you been in battle before? Or combat...were you in the military or currently in the military??? If you was them you know the sound of combat is NOT QUIET!!! It is loud and deafening. If that bothers them you do not understand part of the POINT is to have it like you are in true combat. This movie isn't going to stray from that. Those shots supposed to be loud because shooting them in real life it's loud. Those bombs and explosions are loud because that's real life. Same as those fighter jets....since when you heard a soft sounding jet? And these are real lives jets that were actually flown. So, your chief complaint is the sound being a bit TOO accurate?

2nd of all. I don't think you understand concept of story. It isn't about a cliche war drama about soldiers talking about their lives that mean shyt but to supposedly "care". This is about the EVENT ITSELF. There's no time to just sit around and converse with stranger number one vs stranger number two. All those 400,000 people stranded have one equal agenda and that's get the fukk out. The STORY was how these people were rescued and what MANY of these people endured just trying to survive...the TENSION were about the soldiers not knowing what could happen to them. The STORY was told from all perspectives. But it's clear you not understand that and want a cliche soft sounding war story that's been done before countless if times.

You don't like it and that's cool. But griping about things that are actually ACCURATE is ridiculous. I could of understood if you complain about the music, or the editing, or that you was bored, or war movies in general aren't your cup of tea. But make it more about that and not on things that are true to the nature of what was going on.
noone wanted to see that wack ass glorified documentary :camby:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nolan is over-rated and tends to suck at character development anyway. I'll see it next week in IMAX and if I'm entertained with it as a spectacle I'll be happy.

Insomnia is the only Nolan movie I've watched more than once.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

I don't think you understand that just because the movie's narrative is different from a "traditional" storyline, doesn't mean it's automatically handled well. Nolan wants us to endure the tension the soldiers felt while trapped on the beach, but outside of a two minute montage in the midst of the soldiers lying around on a beach and some foolishly trying to push rowing boats into the tide, Nolan never properly builds that environment of being trapped on the beach because you never feel the pressure of the Germans pushing towards the beach from the rear. Simply saying "It's about the event!" sixty times doesn't change the fact that Nolan's narrative choices don't capture that very important element of the event at all.

And regarding the sound, yes, of course war is loud. But Nolan substitutes tension for sound and that is a problem. As is Hans Zimmer's soundtrack constantly ramping up tension for minutes straight even though the constant cutting between storylines means there are also slower calmer moments that don't mesh with the soundtrack at all.

As far as I'm concerned there's actually only two moments in the movie that Zimmer's score actually fits the movie being played for us, and it's:

the aforementioned scene of the soldiers sleeping and waiting on the beach after their first escape attempts failed, and the scene where the spitfire runs out of fuel and silently floats over the beach with the city in the background.
And neither of them are action moments.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Nolan is over-rated and tends to suck at character development anyway. I'll see it next week in IMAX and if I'm entertained with it as a spectacle I'll be happy.

Insomnia is the only Nolan movie I've watched more than once.
You ain't watched TDK or memento more than once

:umad:You'sa liya

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Think I'll wait to see this. I hadn't plan on seeing it at all earlier this year but decided to reserve a seat just in case.

Will probably skip since AMC doesn't even have legit IMAX.