NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
That Moonlight got Best Picture before any of Nolan's films especially Inception.

:mjpls:

Why are you picking the first black made film to win an Oscar against Nolan? There are like 50 other Best Film and Best Directors you could have came for, but you pick that one to hate on to discuss how much you like Nolan. Explain yourself, breh.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked it a lot. Great editing, great acting, great cinematography. It's a nice tightly wound short story and there's a constant undercurrent of tension that prevents you from really relaxing, and that was fun. My only gripe is that I can't understand the heavy English, Dutch, and French accents. I need to see this movie again with the subtitles on. However, I will give it to Nolan, you really don't need a lot of dialogue to understand what's going on because it's a very visual movie.

I have to say though I found the music annoying. I understand Nolan was trying to emphasize the constant threat and dread of being on that beach, but for me it actually lessened the tension because it just never stopped. It was always ramping up like in a horror or suspense movie and sometimes nothing happened, so when it started ramping up again, it didn't really have the impact I think he was going for, it just became irritating. Or maybe that's what he was going for, the constant anticipation and how tiring it could become.

I think he made some interesting statements about history and the way it gets told, particularly
the death of the young boy who was knocked down by the soldier, but was hailed a hero in the local paper. What does that say about the way history is in the hands of whoever perspectives we have to rely on, not necessarily the truth.While we saw some true heroism from that young man who was treated like German spy and ultimately died a no-name.

I do have a few questions for those of you who have seen it:

In the beginning when the boys were getting shot down in the street by a sniper and the one boy made it- were the people shooting at him the same guys who shot his friends. I get that he was running away from the gunfire into new gunfire, but the new guys shooting at him at first didn't seem to care. To me that implied there was a lot of friendly fire that went down.

Was Tom Hardy's character based on a real life pilot, and if so what happened to him. It implies he was captured and became a POW, but if anyone know anymore about that, I'd love to know.

I'd give it a 9/10 for great suspense and an immersive experience of this tense event, points deducted for unintelligible dialogue and the irritating use of music.

My opinion on your spoiler tags:

I completely agree on Nolan's suggestion of real heroism vs propaganda. Not just only the boy was made out as a hero, but the fact HOW he died was rather fuccked up. Also, when you mention "Gibson" the so-called accused German mole, supposedly he WAS actually a German but was in the same situation trying to survive like them and therefore didn't see nationalities. I was intrigued by the ambiguity of if he was or wasn't trying a mole. But in the end he was very much a true hero as well as Tom Hardy's character who doesn't get celebrated either. In fact, his flight partner was blamed for not being involved with the rescue little did people know they were essential reasons why they were rescued to begin with. The idea of heroics was very much twisted around.

also to your question...

I think there was A LOT of implied "friendly fire" throughout the movie. Nolan did introduce a huge sense of paranoia by their troops. You never SAW the German Army at all... they were like the boogieman. And all they know which the opening scene explicitly tells them was that they were literally surrounded. So ANY gunfire from ANYWHERE with that kind of paranoia in mind could of actually been friendly fire not knowing what is what. I also felt that sense when they were inside that boat and random shots were coming through... you don't really know if it was coming from the enemy OR their allies.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
:mjpls:

Why are you picking the first black made film to win an Oscar against Nolan? There are like 50 other Best Film and Best Directors you could have came for, but you pick that one to hate on to discuss how much you like Nolan. Explain yourself, breh.
It is the most recent one and gloss over my comment saying Hidden Figures is a better film than Moonlight.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
I saw it and it was a great film. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I just wish I saved money and say it standard versus IMAX because I didn't see the difference in resolution.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The more I think about it... this film is not at all any kind of TRADITIONAL patriotic or anti-war film. But if I want to lean one way versus the other... I get a feeling this is more of an anti-war movie in disguise of a patriotic one. How this movie ends and in such a bit of hypocrisy makes it feel like was this all worth being celebrated for?

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
I guess the real question is what does any of that have to do with this movie? And why are you even pitting black movies against each other and Nolan. It's just bizarre.
Someone hating on Nolan's prior work and the most recent recipient of Best Picture wasn't even the best picture for last year. A commentator said Dunkirk is looking like Best Picture of the year:

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
The more I think about it... this film is not at all any kind of TRADITIONAL patriotic or anti-war film. But if I want to lean one way versus the other... I get a feeling this is more of an anti-war movie in disguise of a patriotic one. How this movie ends and in such a bit of hypocrisy makes it feel like was this all worth being celebrated for?
I felt seeing it, it said it was cacs trying to survive and get out of that shyt in practically hopelessness. Churchill only expected 40k and got 300k brits back.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
movie was trash to me. could not understand a damn word anyone was saying in the movie the english accents were so thick. the music like someone else said was annoying as fukk. there was music non stop throughout the entire film. and a buzzing sound

nothing special at all about this movie...top gun had better airplane scenes. i walked out an hour into this dizaster...easily nolans worst film. EASILY

some scenes i felt like watching deleted scenes from the movie titanic

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
movie was trash to me. could not understand a damn word anyone was saying in the movie the english accents were so thick. the music like someone else said was annoying as fukk. there was music non stop throughout the entire film. and a buzzing sound

nothing special at all about this movie...top gun had better airplane scenes. i walked out an hour into this dizaster...easily nolans worst film. EASILY

some scenes i felt like watching deleted scenes from the movie titanic
I walked out of my house during the trailer.

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
just seen this shyt brehs. got-fukking-damn. have to admit that at the beginning i was wondering if this was going to be another letdown like planet of the apes, but once this got going, it didn't let up brehs. shyt was wild. sound was incredible as were the dogfights. there isn't any character development or real story to speak of the way movies usually do, but it captures the event perfectly. tom hardy was really good without having many lines as were the group of characters trying to get to dunkirk, the father, son and other kid and scarecrow from batman begins. also liked the ending. if you can get past the beginning where it's really slow, then this is another hit from nolan imo.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I think it's suspect how certain types of history can be rehashed and reimagined or covered and no one bats an eye, but if you dare mention slavery or the civil rights movement, people roll their eyes and go 'not another one' or 'this shyt is getting old'. There's literally hundreds of WWII movies and like only a few that address race. Maybe because anything white and male is OK to the general public, but whatever, I am going to see this tonight off the strength of the reviews. I hope it lives up to the hype.
Hitler is lowkey an american hero so they like to keep the event fresh in everyones mind. Soon the nazi sympathizer pieces will start releasing and no one will bat an eye as whites slip back into their bad habits

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I know Oscar talk is way too early, but it'll be dope AF if both GET OUT and DUNKIRK get Best Picture and Best director nods.
Cinematography

How you gonna get best picture with no dialigue. This is a pure action film